Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tenths (Unofficial July Contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged

File: Tenths_Demos_Doom.demo (20.1 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Tenths (+10)  
Red-XIII wrote:
You don't have to kill all the monsters to conquer the hold, as far as I understood, the hold must be exitable, not clearable. Is it really that bad that you can't kill all the babies? :/ Afterall, I also named the room to be an escape.
Not necessarily bad, but you normally expect that the rooms are conquerable. There was another entry that you could exit immediately, but required solving a puzzle to clear. The room doesn't even record victory demos like this (or possibly support scores in the future).

Anyhow, since all the remaining mysteries were answered, here's the full pack of Tenths demos. Don't think I solved many rooms unintentionally this time. Makes sense, since there weren't many open-ended rooms.
08-07-2015 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Tenths (+1)  
I gave all my room an 'emergency' exit so that even if you were stuck, you wouldn't have to restore to the hub to continue your game. If this is ever published, I hope there is some way to set this up for the other entries.
08-07-2015 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Tenths (0)  
BlueFlower, are you able to submit this hold to HA?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-01-2016 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
I haven't yet. Life is quite busy, and it appears I forgot about this.

03-04-2016 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
There is at least one room that is unsolvable with the new guard behavior in 5.1. The room "Arky trains his protege" relied on the fact that a guard with a spear on top of Beethro will not move towards him. This behavior has changed and I don't believe the room is solvable now. There are other rooms in this contest with guards wielding alternate weapons, but I don't remember enough about them to say if they will still be cearable.

Some Options:
1) We can omit the room completely.

2) We can leave it in as a non-required room with a scroll explaining the change.

3) We can leave it in as a non required room and I can script a cut scene depicting how the room was originally to be solved.

4) I believe it may be possible to script a guard like entity that follows the old behavior pattern with the "face like guard" command in 5.1. The danger here is that players unfamiliar with the background will not expect the old guard behavior, so some sort of clear explanation should proceed the room.

03-04-2016 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I personally think that the best solution is to rework the room to make it solvable changing as little as possible, with an added note that it was changed.

03-04-2016 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tenths (Unofficial July Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com