Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged

File: TA and timecloans.hold (49.2 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans (0)  
I'm not sure if this really counts a a bug or is something that anyone other than me cares about since temporal aumtlich are TSS custom elements and not considered primary game elements I suppose. But the Temporal Aumtlich happen to be my favorite new monster in TSS, so I'll post this here anyway in case it is of some use or interest.

Temporal Aumtlich are available through the TSS custom elements hold here. When a time token is present in a room, Temporal Aumtlich behave completely differently from any other monster. They do not attempt to follow the temporal projections at all, and will only follow the current Bethro, no matter how much closer the projection is to the aumtlich. This is very counterintuitive and seems at odds with how temporal projections work with every other element. I don't believe changing this would break any holds since I haven't seen any holds that include TAs and time tokens, but I haven't had a chance to play through every hold that's come out since TSS was released. I've attached a hold that combines both elements in case anyone wants to test this out.

02-01-2015 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1073
icon Re: Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans (0)  
TeAu are scripted monsters, and are not scripted to attack non-players. You can alter their scripting to attack Time Clones (and decoys), but it won't be fun.

02-01-2015 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
hyperme wrote:
TeAu are scripted monsters, and are not scripted to attack non-players. You can alter their scripting to attack Time Clones (and decoys), but it won't be fun.
Thanks for the reply. I figured that it was probably something I'd have to fix on my own like that. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to see their scripting in the editor. They just appear as a new monster type. It would be a whole lot easier (though I'm sure still not fun as you say!) to change their current scripting around rather than try to have to re-script them from scratch. Would any of the developers be willing to make the actual script for them available? Either way, I suppose I have my work cut out for me!

02-02-2015 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4596
icon Re: Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans (+1)  
Assuming you're talking about the "TSS Custom Elements" hold, the script is included -- it's just included as a default script, to make it quicker and easier to place instances of the character. In the scripting window, click on "Characters" above the list of entity types, then select Temporal Aumtlich and click "Edit Default Script".

02-02-2015 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2435
They're in the TSS Custom Elements hold that you can download if you have the full version of TSS.
02-02-2015 at 02:14 AM
Insoluble
Nuntar wrote:
Assuming you're talking about the "TSS Custom Elements" hold, the script is included -- it's just included as a default script, to make it quicker and easier to place instances of the character. In the scripting window, click on "Characters" above the list of entity types, then select Temporal Aumtlich and click "Edit Default Script".

Outstanding! I didn't know about this at all! I can't wait reexamine the hold to see how all the scripting was done. Now the hard part: do I take a sick day from work tomorrow so that I can play around with these in the edditor for hours on end? All signs are pointing to yes.

02-02-2015 at 05:29 AM
Zch
Rank Points: 503
icon Re: Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans (+2)  
There are quite a few elements that TAs don't work properly with:

- They go towards player character position and ignore all other monster targets, the also don't care if they can see the player or not. So the following won't work.

- Temporal projection
- Decoy
- Stalwart
- Soldier
- Invisibility potion
- Shallow water

- The "no splitting around swords" rule is implemented by checking if the TA is splitting around the square in front of the player character, so they ignore all other swords and won't split around the spot in front of the player even if the player is weaponless. So the following won't work.

- Decoy, Mimic, Soldier, Guard, Slayer, Clone, ... (any character with a weapon)
- Swordless token, dagger token or any weaponless player role

I think that, in the current scripting language, these problems would be difficult to fix. And the level TAs are used in doesn't have any of those elements, so there was no need to fix them.

But as the TA-script is published and people want to use it in all kinds of puzzles, they really should work correctly with all the elements.

The script should be easy to fix if there was two new commands in the scripting language:
- "Find nearest visible monster target (X, Y)" and
- "Check for weapons in (X, Y)"
02-02-2015 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kallor
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 277
- Oremite

02-02-2015 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans (+1)  
This is intended behavior, probably mostly due to the limitations of the scripting engine.

The in-universe explanation can be that Temporal Aumtlich hates Beethro and is connected with temporality enough to know which one is the real one.

This won't be changed until the scripting engine is expanded and, frankly, I am not sure if this should be changed. For now I am marking it as not a bug.

05-17-2015 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Temporal Aumtlich doesn't recognize temporal cloans
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com