Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Options to make the in-game chat less obstructive
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Options to make the in-game chat less obstructive (+4)  
The game chat can get in the way at times, and it can really cover up the game field. As such, some options to make it less of a pain:

-An alpha setting that changes the opacity of the chat lines appearing.
-A different button than Space to dismiss the chat bubbles. Space can be bothersome since it can cause cutscenes to skip, which we might not want...

Feel free to add more!

-Jeff_Ray...

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-27-2014 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Options to make the in-game chat less obstructive (0)  
I saw someone's chat go on the side in a walk-through. How does that happen?

I wish that man would stay away
07-27-2014 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
The spitemaster wrote:
I saw someone's chat go on the side in a walk-through. How does that happen?

since they were also commenting on the room he was on - implying he was streaming the playthrough, I think you were not seeing the in-game chat, but a chat service provided by his streaming provider in a separate window.

07-28-2014 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
If we're talking about gamer's streams, I'm pretty sure he uses twitch to display the game screen in part of the stream and then display forum chat off to the right.

07-28-2014 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Options to make the in-game chat less obstructive (+1)  
blorx1 wrote:
If we're talking about gamer's streams, I'm pretty sure he uses twitch to display the game screen in part of the stream and then display forum chat off to the right.
Shark Joe = Me, for the record. :)

And yeah, it's all done through my streaming program (And the chat is CaravelNet Chat too, for the record). I end up having to edit the dimensions of the chat window to make it come up like that, and then my program just uses that selected area of my web browser to view.

07-28-2014 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Feel free to add more!
I would like a button that pushes chat to the other side of the screen instead of removing it entirely, like if it's at the top and in the way I can have it instantly move to the bottom instead.
07-28-2014 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 113
kieranmillar wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Feel free to add more!
I would like a button that pushes chat to the other side of the screen instead of removing it entirely, like if it's at the top and in the way I can have it instantly move to the bottom instead.
I'd actually like this as well. At times the chat decides to pop up in my way.

I'm not sure what is the deciding factor either. At times, it even goes right over squares next to Beethro. Or at least the squares I'm heading over to.

Though more often it's covering a specific enemy that I need to specifically maneuver. Or move around.

Ideally, I'd like an option to move the chat off of the playing field, but I can't think of anywhere to put it. Off hand, in the existing space there would be only the spot where scrolls go. But it's too small to really work. And well, what happens when a scroll shows up?

The only thing I can think of would be a setup akin to Gamer's streams/videos. But the implementation seems like it would be tricky. I can think of only a clumsy way to make it work via the game itself.

Basically, it would be some option that would just tack on the extra room on the right (or left, I suppose) side of the game window. Instead of being a square, the window would now be a rectangle.

Again, it's a really clumsy solution. I'm not sure if it's even feasible. But having either suggested solutions; a 'move the chat out of the way' button, or a 'clear chat but not skip cutscene' button would work for me.
08-01-2014 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Bumping for opinions. One low-hanging fruit is delay showing chat messages until a cutscene ends, or even regular speech ends.

Alternatively make it so that pressing space clears chat first, before doing anything else.

11-23-2020 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Options to make the in-game chat less obstructive
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com