Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Gaming Rig (Anyone good with these things? Hoping to not make myself look like an idiot.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 597
IP: Logged
icon Gaming Rig (+1)  
Hi, I've been thinking of building myself a gaming machine so that I can play games with top levels graphics at maximum performance, as well as streaming and video editing. I've been using this website to make sure all of the components are compatible. I've never done this before, so anyone with knowledge on this sort of thing is welcome to tell me anything that I have missed, and your verdicts on the following.

I have 3 options which are all around £1100 ($1888).

Option 1:
Click here to view the secret text

Option 2:

Option 3:

I haven't listed any peripherals or the operating system (I will be using Windows 8). I'm planning to overclock the processor, and this is why the power supplies have a higher wattage than the wattage of the base parts. I presume I will need a wireless network adapter, but I also haven't listed them here.

The three parts lists.

A few questions:
Do I need to have such high powered graphics for a monitor of this size? Will my money be better served by making other components better?

Is everything compatible?

Which build do you think is the best?

I used a variety of benchmark sites for reference as to which CPUs / GPUs performed the best.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

[Last edited by navithmastero at 07-06-2014 12:51 PM]
07-02-2014 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Gaming Rig (0)  
I'm not versed on building gaming rigs, but is using Windows 8 wise if that's your intent? I've heard it has issues. Why not Windows 7?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-16-2014 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
I'm going on experience here, building my rig so I can run DROD at max graphics settings.

None of those CPUs need liqued cooling, and Intel tends to be a better bet in most things. You can save yourself some bucks just getting a really nice copper fin/fan system. I promise, it's sufficient. Unless you're *super* interested in overclocking things, liquid cooling is pricier and somewhat more complicated than it needs to be. Your cooling system is what stuck out as being the least variable part of your setups in what should be on of the more customizable things..

Be careful about your SSDs and shop around a bit. SSDs are really really reliable...unless they're big. Even some of the 256 models are a little weird. Just do your homework extra hard there. Visit multiple sites, read lots of reviews. Be comprehensive. Naturally, this should apply for everything.

For what it's worth, my ram ended up being this stuff, and it's suited me pretty well. I don't know how much it makes a difference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568 But my computer is somewhat oldish? these days. Still runs everything like a beast.

Your GPU, naturally, will be effective. I have a GTX 680, and there's literally nothing it can't handle on the market yet, so anything you throw at it should be fine.

If there's one area it's worth spending a little extra on, it's probably the monitor. You don't have any variable setups here, and all the work a computer does means nothing if you can't render it it super well. Features like contrast, ms, other statistics are all pretty important on how well you're going to enjoy your experience. I have a BenQ and I absolutely love it, but monitors can be one of the pricier parts of your purchase experience. Above all else, a good monitor can make a big difference in the quality of what your GPU is doing, so I would highly recommend shopping around quite a bit in this department. Even more so than the SSD.

I don't know if any of this was helpful, but feel free to nag me to be more specific.

[Last edited by Pearls at 10-23-2014 02:51 AM]
10-23-2014 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 597
It's been a while (and I don't know why this thread was suddenly at the top of the list) but I am still weighing up my options here. I've been looking at the GTX 980 due to it's similar sort of price range and much better performance (see benchmark). However, the 980 is definitely more expensive on average and so the price of the overall rig has gone up.

I've spoken to some other people about this and have come up with a more definitive spec.

In terms of cooling, I see your point, a liquid system is probably OTT and I will look for other options later on today.

The monitor I've been looking at is the Asus VG248QE 24.0".

-nm

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/nvthmstro/saved/kVtLrH Note: I don't necessarily need all of these things listed at once. I can pick up some headphones or speakers after building my rig. So it's not necessarily £1800 all at once.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

10-23-2014 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Pearls wrote:
If there's one area it's worth spending a little extra on, it's probably the monitor. You don't have any variable setups here, and all the work a computer does means nothing if you can't render it it super well. Features like contrast, ms, other statistics are all pretty important on how well you're going to enjoy your experience.
I don't know how it works in other countries, but in Poland they lie as much as they can in some stats, for example contrast. They abuse the fact that there is no standard definition of how to measure the contrast. The best and only good way to make sure a screen is a good is to either find professional reviews (like the ones one notebookcheck, albeit they only do notebook screens) or go to a shop and ask to see it in action. And make sure you are given access to the connected hardware, so you can do a real test.

10-23-2014 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
I...huh. I totally didn't look at the date.

I have no idea what happened. Glad this is still...relevant? Or something.

10-23-2014 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Deleted spam happened.

10-23-2014 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pearls
l2sagebetter

10-24-2014 at 02:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Gaming Rig (Anyone good with these things? Hoping to not make myself look like an idiot.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com