Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Background for move counter
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
IP: Logged
icon Background for move counter (+1)  
I am almost 60 and my eyes are getting worse and worse. Sometimes I have real problems to read the move counter (yellow on light background).

It would really help if the move counter had (as an option?) a dark background.

adS

05-24-2014 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Background for move counter (0)  
Seems reasonable, but that does make it hovering over the play area somewhat more of a problem.

05-25-2014 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Background for move counter (+1)  
Why does it even need to hover over the play area? There's a perfectly good region of unused space on the left side of the screen between the portrait and the clock.

05-25-2014 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Pinnacle Wrote: There's a perfectly good region of unused space on the left side of the screen (0)  
Subj
05-25-2014 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Rank Points: 231
Maybe move the move counter below the player character picture?

05-25-2014 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129

File: Untitled.png (830.9 KB)
Downloaded 77 times.
License: Public Domain
One possibility is to do something like this (the crudely-drawn MS-Paint squares are supposed to be like those mechanical number rotating things). It's also adding a bit of extra functionality, since really the entire purpose of the move counter is optimization. Also some other minor move-counter-related functionality: would it be better to freeze the move counter after stepping on a conquer token?

("Best" refers to the best offline demo on the current profile, not the #1)

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-25-2014 05:25 PM]
05-25-2014 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
I don't think there is any need for "current best".

And the ciphers should be a bit larger :)

05-25-2014 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
You can always use the brightness option if the intense light is really hurting your eyes. If the problem is instead about the clock and background blending then this feature could be implemented to solve the latter problem.

05-26-2014 at 01:29 AM
bwross
Rank Points: 376
Yeah, this has always been kludgy. A better implementation would be nice (even just moving it up off the playing area, that bit is typically dark unless you're on a level with a really long name).

I agree that there's really no need to clutter things up with that "best" though... that's not the sort of thing that needs to be cluttering up the screen¹, because it's not something you want to be able to check on a continuous basis because it's always changing like the clock or the move counter (where it's a pain if you have to hit enter every time you want to know it).

And I find the move counter very useful even though I don't have much interest in optimizing.

¹ There's obviously too much clutter on that side because I occasionally run into scrolls that get truncated, and so I never know how they end.
05-26-2014 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
By the way - the younger players probably will not understand - another problem for me is that in invisibility mode I have real problems to see Beethro.

05-26-2014 at 10:20 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
adS wrote:
By the way - the younger players probably will not understand - another problem for me is that in invisibility mode I have real problems to see Beethro.

I think disabling alpha effects in settings makes the Beethro be less transparent, but I am not 100% sure.

05-26-2014 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
I don't think it does. It does remove lighting effects, which can make for better contrast to help see invisible Beethro... at least some times.
05-26-2014 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
adS wrote:
Doesn't he oscillate between near-visibility and transparency? From the player's perspective, I mean.

05-27-2014 at 04:09 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
adS wrote:
I am almost 60 and my eyes are getting worse and worse. Sometimes I have real problems to read the move counter (yellow on light background).

It would really help if the move counter had (as an option?) a dark background.
I just noticed how bad this looks in 4.0. Sorry to contribute to eye strain. In 5.0, the move counter numbers have a nice anti-aliased black outline.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-27-2014 at 07:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Background for move counter
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com