Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Alkan's Crypt (JTRH hold)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
IP: Logged
icon Re: Alkan's Crypt (0)  
Red-XIII wrote:
Thanks for your feedback! :)
To be honest, today I tried to change some rooms with too many snakes in something different but I failed; I'd like to design a puzzle that is mainly an hack and slash (in monster's nest) with snakes but that requires also a little trick; I agree with you it is a little boring with all these snakes so if you have an idea to improve some of these rooms I'd be glad to hear your advice :)

I have been thinking about a room with rattlesnakes in the monsters nest, since i don't see any of them in that level, or can remove some snakes, the room have the same objetive but is less tedious.

Also conquer the orientations level, very interesting level and my favourite, and the half of Basement, this level have some rooms that are hard and cool.
12-01-2012 at 02:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
I have been thinking about a room with rattlesnakes in the monsters nest, since i don't see any of them in that level, or can remove some snakes, the room have the same objetive but is less tedious.

There it is :) I modified totally Monster's Nest 1S1E and created 2S1E, hope you'll like them.
I also modified once and for all Mastery Level 3N, now it should be less boring.

EDIT: The crypt 1N1E modified too.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 12-02-2012 02:58 PM]
12-02-2012 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I beat the new rooms.
I'm fine with the changes in mastery level 3N. Though now I don't feel like I have to kill the slayer.

Monsters nest 1S1E feels like all I have to do is kill the serpents in the first 20 or so moves and then efficiently kill the rattlers, which isn't too hard. The efficiency timer is lenient enough that it should be fine for most players.

In 2S1E:
I'm not sure if you want me to kill the rattlers before the roaches or kill the roaches first. The way I did it was to kill the northeastern roaches first and then trap the rattlers on the arrows using brained serpent manipulation skills. This took a bit of trial and error and my solution would probably be really hard for many players.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 12-02-2012 04:20 PM]
12-02-2012 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
I beat the new rooms.
I'm fine with the changes in mastery level 3N. Though now I don't feel like I have to kill the slayer.

Monsters nest 1S1E feels like all I have to do is kill the serpents in the first 20 or so moves and then efficiently kill the rattlers, which isn't too hard. The efficiency timer is lenient enough that it should be fine for most players.

In 2S1E:
I'm not sure if you want me to kill the rattlers before the roaches or kill the roaches first. The way I did it was to kill the northeastern roaches first and then trap the rattlers on the arrows using brained serpent manipulation skills. This took a bit of trial and error and my solution would probably be really hard for many players.

You did both rooms as I intented. For Mastery Level maybe I can try to use a script but it's not my priority for now.
About 1S1E I don't know how fast it can be done but if you say it's fine then I'm fine too :)
About 1S2E is it really possible to kill all queen roaches first and then rattlers? If so I think it's way more harder than the current solution; After all you have plenty of time to kill the queens in NE corner and then trap at least 3 rattlers before you get attacked by roaches. Is it really so trial? I wanted to create an horde room but with a little trick in it or otherwise it would only be matter of smiting and not "thinking" and many rooms in this levels are already like this.
Maybe I can put the room as a secret room.

12-02-2012 at 04:45 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
Again I wasn't sure what the intended way was, since my way felt clever, but possibly like something that someone might not have thought of. In my solution first I killed the NE queens and then trapped all of the rattlers against the arrows(killing all but four in the process) using some serpent manipulation skill. It felt like something that a lot of players wouldn't know how to do and took a small bit of trial and error to do it right, though very little because the checkpoint is placed well enough.

I like the room, but if it is intended to trap rattlers against the arrows I'm not certain how other players will handle it.

12-02-2012 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
I can see you point; in this case I'll put this as a secret room and replace the current one with an easier version of the room.

12-02-2012 at 05:45 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Alkan's Crypt (+1)  
I began playing this hold 3 or 4 days ago and like it a lot, though I am beginning to find rooms that are beyond my capabilities. I am trying to play outside the editor as it's my preferred way but I've had a look at some of the later rooms in the editor.

Prologue and The Road To The Crypt are pretty straight forward with some entertaining rooms. I couldn't beat the Prologue secret room though. The 5 goblins in the Crypt Entrance probably took me a couple of hundred more moves than the experts, but I got there in the end.

Potion Land: so far I have only beaten the entrance and looked in the four rooms on the cardinal compass points. 1E, I haven't figured out where to place the decoys. 1N, I'm usually pretty good with trapdoor puzzles, but this mimic one has me beat. Tips please. 1W should be easy enough but I keep forgetting to watch the clock and getting killed. Must pay more attention. :) 1S is simple of course. I haven't seen the others on this level.

Monster's Nest. 1N, there's lots of rooms been created similar to this and I hate (dislike is probably a better word) them, though I beat it in the end. 1W, another 5 goblins that was a matter of figuring out the first move. 1W1S is easy. 1S, manipulating the last WW was fairly simple, and 2S just about shows you where you need to be. 1E, 2E and 3E, I beat all 3 but they are not my idea of fun. 1S1E, couldn't manage this one, nor the one below. Haven't tried the one east of there yet.

The Basements. The Entrance had me stumped for a while until I realised what I needed to do, even then I found it a bit tricky.
1W and the secret room I like and in fact I beat the secret quite easily, but I spent about 2 hours on 1W and had to walk away from the game for a while. The damn snakes always ended up in the top alcove. When I went back to the game, on the second move one snake killed itself and the rest was easy. I'd like to see a demo of it done with the snakes properly manipulated, because I can't do it again. Aaaanyway... 1E, yet another of *those* rooms beaten eventually. 1S1W, I can't figure out how to get safe from the roaches. Either my back is unprotected, or I am being attacked from 3 directions. Any tips welcome. 1S2W, I tried this a number of ways and eventually did it the long way by letting the tar grow around me. 1S, I never hit a save so when I got killed off after chasing round, I became frustrated and I went elsewhere. :) 1N, I felt like I was going round in never ending circle, but it was fun enough manipulating one snake to kill another. 2N, slightly more fun than one of *those* rooms. I think that was my lot so far for that level, and I am not looking forward to yet more multiple brained snakes (2S).

Orientations. I have only played 1S1W, and in the editor, but this is easily the most enjoyable room so far

Sounds like I disliked a lot, but in fact I enjoyed it enough to keep playing for a few days. Something to be said for that as I play very little DROD these days.

12-06-2012 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
First of all, I'm really glad that you enjoyed the hold so far :D
About your comments:
Click here to view the secret text

If you want some demo I have to ask you to wait since I tested all the rooms in the editor so I should play the hold from the beginning and arrive in the specific room and that will took a while :/
Anyway if you find time to play also the levels remaining please let me know what you'll think about them and if you have some advices, looking forward for them :)

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 12-06-2012 10:47 PM]
12-06-2012 at 08:12 PM
bandit1200
I'm on the last room in Orientations, and loving this level, it's great fun. But, in 1S1E, I can't kill the second serpent after the first one conveniently kills itself. I've tried using EE, roach and guard but got nowhere and I don't know the signifance of the obvious square.

Basements: 1S1W, I can easily get to the square you mentioned, but have roaches coming from 3 directions, so I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 12-08-2012 12:06 AM]
12-07-2012 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
I'm on the last room in Orientations, and loving this level, it's great fun. But, in 1S1E, I can't kill the second serpent after the first one conveniently kills itself. I've tried using EE, roach and guard but got nowhere and I don't know the signifance of the obvious square.

Basements: 1S1W, I can easily get to the square you mentioned, but have roaches coming from 3 directions, so I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Here's a demo if basements 1S1W, I'm pretty sure there are other ways to do it but this is mine :)
About Orientations 1S1E you used the wrong things, there's someone else in the room that can be used to kill the snake...

EDIT: Attachment removed

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 12-08-2012 03:05 PM]
12-08-2012 at 10:43 AM
bandit1200
Hah! I just came back to delete the last part of my last post as I managed to beat 1S1W. My problem was with the placement of the decoy. It will be interesting to see how you do it though.
Edit: I did it a different way to you. Your demo is broken in GatEB <--- Oops, sorry, it isn't. I'd played one of my failed ones by mistake. :) It shows how I missed the obvious with regards to placing the decoy.

Orientations 1S1E.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 12-08-2012 11:42 AM]
12-08-2012 at 11:29 AM
Red-XIII
Orientations 1S1E: I never thought about that, glad you told me that. It would be harder if I change it so that you need the first WW to kill the others and more interesting I guess, should I change it? (if it's possible)

12-08-2012 at 11:34 AM
bandit1200
Red-XIII wrote:
Orientations 1S1E: I never thought about that, glad you told me that. It would be harder if I change it so that you need the first WW to kill the others and more interesting I guess, should I change it? (if it's possible)

Difficult for me to say as I can't even figure out how to get into the room without killing the WW or getting killed.
Edit: And as usual I went back to it and immediately spotted how to do it.

Would it work if you made the rock 2x3 instead of 2x2? I've only ever used the editor to try rooms.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 12-08-2012 11:56 AM]
12-08-2012 at 11:51 AM
Red-XIII
Ok I think I'll leave it in the current version, to kill the WW's with the first one requires a totally new design of the room, is possible but the other things will not work. Thanks again.
About entering the room without killing the WW:

12-08-2012 at 12:00 PM
bandit1200
I got there before you replied, again. :)

I played it through, deliberately avoiding the two squares below the rock, so you could extend the rock 1 square south to force the use of the first WW.
12-08-2012 at 12:11 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
I played it through, deliberately avoiding the two squares below the rock, so you could extend the rock 1 square south to force the use of the first WW.

It would not be useful, I can still go around to manipulate them. I think that this is the minimum design that can prevent the US. It's not hard to manipulate them without obstacles.
What do you think about it? Should I leave it like this?
EDIT: Attachment removed

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 12-08-2012 03:06 PM]
12-08-2012 at 12:49 PM
bandit1200
I just had a look in the editor and I think you can force the use of the 1st WW by blocking off the top of the row of 5 arrows so that the player is forced to come from the west. Neither way will be a problem for the majority of players, but I think having to keep the 1st WW alive makes it more fun for players like myself. That's if there are other players as bad as me. :lol
12-08-2012 at 01:26 PM
Red-XIII

File: Alkans Crypt.hold (44.1 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
Little update.
Minor things: I added some aesthetic stuff, put new checkpoints in some rooms and Others minor things.
Major things: I modified Monster's nest 2S1E in a simpler version and moved the hardest version into a secret room in 2S1W.
Mastery Level 3N modified, now you have to kill the slayer to pass the room, it's not an elegant solution but it's the easiest I found.
Orientations 1S1E, now you have to use the first WW to kill the others.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 12-08-2012 03:07 PM]
12-08-2012 at 03:01 PM
bandit1200
Red-XIII wrote:
Orientations 1S1E, now you have to use the first WW to kill the others.

You only need it to kill the last one, but your way looks better than what I had in mind.
12-08-2012 at 05:24 PM
bandit1200
Hmm, dunno what I've done wrong but when I returned to The Crypt from Orientations, it seemed I hadn't done any rooms in the other three levels off from there. Same happens whichever of the 4 levels I restore, yet I can move freely between them. :?
12-08-2012 at 06:35 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Hmm, dunno what I've done wrong but when I returned to The Crypt from Orientations, it seemed I hadn't done any rooms in the other three levels off from there. Same happens whichever of the 4 levels I restore, yet I can move freely between them. :?

Mhh the only thing I can think about it is that in the new version I changed almost all of the rooms because I added some checkpoints. Are you playing with the latest update? If this is not the problem then I don't know what to do because I don't know if this is a problem that happens to you or it happens to someone else too.

12-08-2012 at 07:12 PM
bandit1200
I have the latest version. At first I thought I must have restored from the wrong place at sometime, but it seems to have affected all 4 sub-levels off The Crypt. I'll probably wait now until you submit the hold and then start from the beginning. No problem.
12-08-2012 at 08:19 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
I have the latest version. At first I thought I must have restored from the wrong place at sometime, but it seems to have affected all 4 sub-levels off The Crypt. I'll probably wait now until you submit the hold and then start from the beginning. No problem.

You might want to play it from the editor since I won't send this to HA before the new year, there are many things that needs to be seen again, like grammar mistakes (I already asked help for that) and some other things, like checkpoints location and so on.

12-08-2012 at 09:01 PM
bandit1200
There might be one or two more rooms that I can play in the editor, but I think I have looked at most. As I am fond of saying, I'm not a good DROD player, but I have played enough that sometimes I know within a couple of minutes that a room is beyond my capabilities. For example, in the Mastery level, I have no idea whatsoever how to do 3N. I could look at it all day and the answer probably wouldn't come to me, even though it might be simple. I think I am just not wired up correctly for certain puzzles. Either that or the connections in my old brain have become corroded. ;)

Whatever, I've enjoyed what I've played and I hope others enjoy it too when it's released.
12-08-2012 at 11:58 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: alkans crypt.doc (62.5 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
icon Re: Alkan's Crypt (+1)  
Per Red-XIII's request in PM, I'm attaching a file of text corrections. This post has a Word document with changes marked; the next post has a text file with just the corrected text. I wasn't sure which would be easier to use in fixing things.

Note to Red-XIII: there are a handful of spelling errors, and a number of places where you stumbled over some pretty tricky English idioms (like "a matter of the maximum importance", which is most commonly expressed "a matter of the utmost importance"). Other than that, the main problems I fixed were tense (I made everything present tense instead of past) and person (since most of the description was "You [do whatever]", I changed a few cases of "Beethro [does whatever]" to "You" instead).

The one change I didn't quite make--I marked it with "???"--is the entrance to Orientations, which says "prepare to lose your swipping". At the very least, you want "swiping" instead of "swipping", but I wasn't completely sure what you meant in this case. Maybe something like "Prepare to lose your ability to turn"?
12-28-2012 at 07:14 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: alkans crypt.txt (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
As mentioned above: text file.
12-28-2012 at 07:14 AM
Red-XIII
Wow I can't find words to thank you, this really helped me with my english, a perfect job, thank you!

About Orientations entrance, the sense was the one you said and I'll put "Prepare to lose your ability to turn".Sometimes simpler things are the best.
I will never stop thanking you!

12-28-2012 at 09:23 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Alkan's Crypt (JTRH hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com