Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Frozen Land (One level hold for AE)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
IP: Logged
icon Re: Frozen Land (0)  
mxvladi wrote:
Red-XIII wrote:
Nope. I used both mimics, but differently. (I don't think not using that mimic, at least while solving the room the way you intend, is possible - goblins are too nasty and I simply have no time to get rid of them w/o mimic)
If demos still don't work, then what I did in 1N 1W is
Click here to view the secret text

I finally installed the 3.3 :D
I LOVE the way you did 1N1W that's really cool!!! And yes it's not the intented way :)
I'll send the intended way of these 2 rooms recorded on version 3.3
I knew 2N would be a room with lots of other solutions but I didn't thought of that :) Should I modify it?

09-01-2012 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
The intended way for 2N is slightly trickier, though good luck trying to enforce it. But IMO yes, you should do *something* with it... right now, I'm not using all mimic potions, hitting bad orbs immediately and doing other stuff you probably didn't want me to. And it was pretty easy.

As for 1N 1W - your demo is identical to my first run through the room. And that's also pretty good solution. I'd actually recommend making two versions of the room - one where your solution is enforced, one where my solution is enforced(Jacob tends to do a lot of rooms like that - similar-looking but with different solutions; and they're kinda fun to play, actually). I see pretty easy way to enforce my solution(make tarstuff timer in SE part of the room waay smaller(3-4 spawns)... now the only question is: how to elegantly enforce the intended way? I'm thinking of adding a single red door in SE part right above the tarstuff blob. It will *force* me to drop the trapdoor before spawn(otherwise I won't be able to dispose of all inaccessible tar babies), but maybe there's better way...

If you wish, you could leave the room as it is, though(or enforce your intended solution).
09-01-2012 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:

If you wish, you could leave the room as it is, though(or enforce your intended solution).

Nope, I really love the way you did 1N1W and I'll put that room as a challenge. It's harder than the intended, I saw that demo many times but still I can't manage those goblins. I'll use all of your advice, I really like them :)
About 2N I have some ideas to modify it.

09-01-2012 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
There it is, created 1N2W since the way mxvladi found is awesome so I put there as a challenge while my intended solution as the normal required room. Also 2N modified again, now your moves are very restricted but still I'm sure there are hidden trivial solution.

09-01-2012 at 08:34 PM
mxvladi
I get stuck if I enter 1N 2W because of red door in 1N 1W(also, this issue aside, if I clear 1N 1W, spawn a tar baby and exit to 1N 2W, I'll be stuck as well - because of green door).

Also, you mispelled my nick on the scroll in 1N 2W(everyone keeps doing that :~( ).

<----- another unintended solution for 2N. This time, even shorter(below 100 moves!). (attachment removed)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-02-2012 07:17 AM]
09-01-2012 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
I get stuck if I enter 1N 2W because of red door in 1N 1W(also, this issue aside, if I clear 1N 1W, spawn a tar baby and exit to 1N 2W, I'll be stuck as well - because of green door).

Also, you mispelled my nick on the scroll in 1N 2W(everyone keeps doing that :~( ).
<----- another unintended solution for 2N. This time, even shorter(below 100 moves!).

Ok I fixed 1N1W and the scroll in 1N2W :P Sorry I wrote that scroll using my memory; you must admit that your name is hard to remember, I remembed it letter by letter xD
Fixed again 2N and made that anti-you xD now there are only 4 squares where the mimic can be put, if you find another trivial (unless it's easy) I won't change it, it would not be fair I guess.

09-01-2012 at 09:48 PM
mxvladi
I still do pretty much the same thing in 2N, with minor differences(I place mimic where roach queen started, then manipulate it to kill the roach queen).

Also, I found variation of solution for 1N 1W which involves not using mimic to dispose of goblins. Which means I can place it somewhere else. Near SE tar blob, for instance, which kills all efficiency aspect of the room. Even worse, it works in 1N 2W, too.

I'd say placing opened yellow door in the area where SE tar blob grows would fix it. I'm not sure how many other things can be done with the spare mimic, though.
09-02-2012 at 07:37 AM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
I still do pretty much the same thing in 2N, with minor differences(I place mimic where roach queen started, then manipulate it to kill the roach queen).

Also, I found variation of solution for 1N 1W which involves not using mimic to dispose of goblins. Which means I can place it somewhere else. Near SE tar blob, for instance, which kills all efficiency aspect of the room. Even worse, it works in 1N 2W, too.

I'd say placing opened yellow door in the area where SE tar blob grows would fix it. I'm not sure how many other things can be done with the spare mimic, though.

Ok about 2N with this little modification now it should work well. About 1N1W and 1N2W now I made it so that even if you have a spare mimic it won't be useful. By the way, how can you find all these solutions???

09-02-2012 at 10:04 AM
mxvladi
2N -> at least I have to use two mimic potions now. But you do realise that I can skip the northeastern invisibility potion, right? I place second mimic on (by that time, opened) trapdoor gates and kill roach queen with it.

1N 1W -> you should add single-tile red door near SE tar blob back. I don't think it allows me to break things with spare mimic, and its presence prevents me from using 1N 2W solution here.

1N 2W -> I'd call it fixed.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-16-2014 06:44 AM]
09-02-2012 at 04:37 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
2N -> at least I have to use two mimic potions now. But you do realise that I can skip the northeastern invisibility potion, right? I place second mimic on (by that time, opened) trapdoor gates and kill roach queen with it.

1N 1W -> you should add single-tile red door near SE tar blob back. I don't think it allows me to break things with spare mimic, and its presence prevents me from using 1N 2W solution here.

1N 2W -> I'd call it fixed.

I'll fix once and for all 1N1W :)
About 2N how do you kill the snake before taking the last invisibility potion? with the mimic?

09-02-2012 at 06:13 PM
Red-XIII

File: Frozen Land.hold (12.4 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
[Post Deleted] mxvladi wrote:
No, with the roach queen. Pretty much the same way as I did in the demo for older version of 2N I sent you, as far as I remember.

Ok 1N1W fixed and 2N modifed a lot, you'll find a nice surprise :)
Hopefully this modification will force you to let the queen spawn, at least that's what I intended.

09-02-2012 at 07:13 PM
Red-XIII
Well, if there are no more updates then I guess I might provote the hold :)

09-07-2012 at 09:53 AM
Red-XIII
[Post Deleted] mxvladi wrote:
I finally have some free time, so here's another unintended solution for 2N.
I can't see the demo, it says that is corrupted or that it has been recorded in another version of drod where behaviour is different; it crushes when you have to put the mimic. Did you used the 2 snakes version right? where did you put the mimic? I can't figure out why it doesn't work :(

09-07-2012 at 04:54 PM
mxvladi
Huh. I guess it's because I recorded it in GaTEB and you still use TCB?

Anyway, yet again, I place mimic where roach queen starts, kill roach queen, then manipulate mimic in the serpent passage(serpents haven't got out of it yet), become visible, serpents die. Then I place second mimic at 4,5, hit orb at 4,4, exit. Win.
09-07-2012 at 05:13 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
Huh. I guess it's because I recorded it in GaTEB and you still use TCB?

Anyway, yet again, I place mimic where roach queen starts, kill roach queen, then manipulate mimic in the serpent passage(serpents haven't got out of it yet), become visible, serpents die. Then I place second mimic at 4,5, hit orb at 4,4, exit. Win.
Yes I still haven't solved GaTEB problem so I used TCB.
Anyway I see, you escaped from the arrows, so now I fixed this; but I liked this, I guess this might be the last update, any other unintended solution will remain, I can't modify it forever, as long as I do, you'll find another solution and that is how it should be, this game must have many solutions :)

09-07-2012 at 05:22 PM
mxvladi
Doesn't change my solution in the slightest.

Either place north-pointing force arrow at 4,22(not sure whether it affects the intended solution), or place scroll under roach queen, or... I dunno, something else you can come up with. It will probably break my solution or at least make it harder to do.
09-07-2012 at 05:28 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
Doesn't change my solution in the slightest.

Either place north-pointing force arrow at 4,22(not sure whether it affects the intended solution), or place scroll under roach queen, or... I dunno, something else you can come up with. It will probably break my solution or at least make it harder to do.

The only thing I can do is to prevent mimic going to kill the queen at the beginning; mabye I can modify the disposition of the arrows, making them so that once entered to kill the queen you cannot go back. But are you sure you want to erase your latest solution? IMO it's pretty nice.

09-07-2012 at 05:33 PM
mxvladi
maybe I can modify the disposition of the arrows, making them so that once entered to kill the queen you cannot go back.

Umm, if you can't think of anything more elegant, just place scroll/force arrow/whatever under roach queen, and that's it. Scroll under roach queen = I can't place mimic there = I'll be able to place mimic in that area only after dropping trapdoors. It's far simpler way to break my solution than changing any force arrows.

But are you sure you want to erase your latest solution? IMO it's pretty nice.

Am I sure? It's your hold, not mine.
09-07-2012 at 05:44 PM
Red-XIII

Umm, if you can't think of anything more elegant, just place scroll/force arrow/whatever under roach queen, and that's it. Scroll under roach queen = I can't place mimic there = I'll be able to place mimic in that area only after dropping trapdoors. It's far simpler way to break my solution than changing any force arrows.

Actually in my intended solution the mimic should have been put in the queen spot. The way I modifiet now it makes easier your solution I think. I can't see how you can kill the queen if you use my way (spawn babies to kill snakes); the queen will escape in the snake tunnel and the mimic won't be able to get it; now the only way to kill her is by killing snakes with mimic and then put the mimic in the arrows where the queen went. If there is a way to kill snakes with babies and queen with mimic I can't see it :(

09-07-2012 at 06:06 PM
mxvladi
My previous solution is broken. Yay! Interestingly enough, this room is still solvable. But still not in a way you intend. That's kinda ironical. EDIT: yeah, that's pretty much the solution you describe.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-07-2012 06:23 PM]
09-07-2012 at 06:22 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
My previous solution is broken. Yay! Interestingly enough, this room is still solvable. But still not in a way you intend. That's kinda ironical. EDIT: yeah, that's pretty much the solution you describe.

Actually that's how I solved and that's how I now intend the main solution :) I never build post a room which I didn't solved it :) The only "difference" is that I trapped the queen in 15,16 but I guess it's the same thing ;)
And yes, to enforce my original solution the room should be differently and mabye not possible to create in AE; anyway I like the new solution, I guess I'll leave it like this :)
Thanks for playing that room so many times.

09-07-2012 at 07:05 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
in 3E, the optimal route is clear(all player needs to do is to smite tar babies efficiently... not too interesting)

I tried so many times but still can't do this in less than 124 moves. I'm probably not efficient while killing the babies; is it possible to have a demo?

09-20-2012 at 07:50 PM
mxvladi
Hmm, fine. Here you go. (EDIT: attachment removed)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-25-2012 11:06 PM]
09-25-2012 at 10:56 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
Hmm, fine. Here you go.

Thank you very much!
As expected your way to kill babies efficiently is awesome, I wasted some movements turning my sword that's why I failed :)

09-25-2012 at 11:05 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Frozen Land (One level hold for AE)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com