Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Earthquake effects (Why not?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged
icon Earthquake effects (+3)  
I think that something like this would be really useful. It shouldn't be too hard : you can have imported sound effects and create a new, scripting effect which makes all the elements in a room wobble.
I came up with this while I was looking at the movements that walls do when the player repeatedly and fastly bumps into them.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 06-25-2012 01:34 PM]
06-25-2012 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Earthquake effects (0)  
Huh, this is an interesting alternative to the standard old "shake whole screen" effect many games use. I wonder how difficult it would be to do.

To prevent it looking too weird it might be necessary to calculate areas to shake contiguously...

06-25-2012 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
If possible, an earthquake could also have some consequences on chosen elements in a room. For example, turn a solid wall into a breakable wall, an orb into a broken orb...And so on.

Edit:
List of my ideas related to earthquake consequences:

1) Via scripting, you can choose which solid wall/s will turn into (a) breakable wall/s after X turns of earthquake.
2) Via scripting, you can choose which orb/s will turn into (a) broken orb/s after X turns of earthquake.
3) Cracked orbs will always turn into broken orbs. The turns, though, should be always set up by the Architect.
4) Via scripting, you can choose which tile(s) (not platforms, bridges, trapdoors, water and oremites)will turn into (a) trapdoor(s) after X turn of earthquake.
4) All platforms, bridges and trapdoors in the room will irremediably fall after X turns of earthquake.
5) Rock golems will be smashed by the strenght of the earthquake and Giants will turn into four rock golems after X turns.
6) Tunnels get out of order and therefore useless.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 06-26-2012 06:26 AM]
06-26-2012 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
Er... this should all be separated into separate events, which the architect can choose to use, rather than hardcoded into one. Many of these are doable with direct tile alteration.

06-26-2012 at 08:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Yes, of course. One can choose one or more of those effects via NPCs scripting.
Or maybe, we could just have earthquakes for environment purposes...That wouldn't have any consequences, but would just be a weather condition of which you can choose strenght and duration.

06-26-2012 at 08:42 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Earthquake effects (Why not?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com