Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Can't see FDROD secret room image
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Can't see FDROD secret room image (+1)  
(Moved this from Bugs board, probably more suited to here.)

I'm getting the usual-to-non-Caravelnet-subscribers-like-me error image when trying to view the room in this message:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=34328&page=0#340050

I assume this is because it is a secret room, but I think it should be visible regardless.
06-21-2012 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Can't see FDROD secret room image (0)  
Why do you think that? And do you consider this a bug or a feature request?

06-21-2012 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
icon Re: Can't see FDROD secret room image (+1)  
I would think that because this game is designed for the masses, who would be confused when they get pointed here to find help, then discover that they can't use the room image, with none of the reasons in the provided image really making any sense. The game is free, asking for help is free, viewing other room images is free, but if you want to show people the secret room you are stuck on, you have to pay?

I'd consider it a bug, though in the site, not in the game, thus why I moved it here.

[Last edited by TripleM at 06-21-2012 08:44 AM]
06-21-2012 at 08:40 AM
Jatopian
...No, this is working as intended. This is a feature request. You can tell, because you don't have to convince people that bugs ought to be changed.

I'm not entirely sure why the Caravel H&S refuses to give you secret room images in the first place. Knowing that might give us some insight.

06-21-2012 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Jatopian wrote:
...No, this is working as intended. This is a feature request. You can tell, because you don't have to convince people that bugs ought to be changed.
Eh, bridge trick anyone?

I can see this both being a bug as well as it being intended. Either way I think it should be changed.

06-21-2012 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Jatopian wrote:
...No, this is working as intended.

I'm not entirely sure why the Caravel H&S refuses to give you secret room images in the first place.

So, you know for sure this is intended, but you have no idea why it was intended? :|

I can't think of a single reason why this would be intended. If you can, then I'll agree this isn't a bug.
06-21-2012 at 10:51 PM
Jatopian
What I mean is: This is working exactly the same as it works for normal DROD. That's intended. It is also intended to work that way for normal DROD. What I don't know is the reasoning behind the original decision to make it work like this for normal DROD.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-21-2012 11:06 PM]
06-21-2012 at 11:05 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Oh man, I made a typo, and not only does it not allow you to see secret rooms that it doesn't think you visited, but it also instead gives a custom image containing some possible reasons you can't see it! If only all my bugs could be so informative.

06-21-2012 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rheb
Schik wrote:
Oh man, I made a typo, and not only does it not allow you to see secret rooms that it doesn't think you visited, but it also instead gives a custom image containing some possible reasons you can't see it! If only all my bugs could be so informative.
We all know that functionality exist :p

To me, it just feels weird that it has been directly applied to flash DROD. You wouldn't run into these images anyway, unless you've been to the room and are asking for help.

06-22-2012 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
It feels equally weird to me to call this intentional behavior a bug. But anyways. I'll leave it up to skell and his team of architects to decide if they want me to change all the rooms to non-secret (as far as the forum is concerned).

06-22-2012 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Is it possible to make it that:
1. You can't see the secret rooms in the map.php and on the H&S's minimap (You can still select it by manual movement in H&S)
2. If someone links to the room-image directly you can see it?

What do you think?

06-22-2012 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Schik wrote: It feels equally weird to me to call this intentional behavior a bug.

I still can't think of any reason why this would be intended - can you explain why it is the case? If the aim is to stop people seeing rooms they haven't visited, why not apply it to all rooms? Having access to the secret room image doesn't help them find the room (that's in the topic title anyway, and even if it weren't it wouldn't help), so I can't see any reason secret and nonsecret rooms would be treated differently. And like I said, the messages described in the error image wouldn't make sense to anyone not familiar with DROD and CaravelNet.

[Last edited by TripleM at 06-22-2012 10:20 PM]
06-22-2012 at 10:19 PM
Rheb
TripleM wrote:
I still can't think of any reason why this would be intended - can you explain why it is the case? If the aim is to stop people seeing rooms they haven't visited, why not apply it to all rooms? Having access to the secret room image doesn't help them find the room (that's in the topic title anyway, and even if it weren't it wouldn't help), so I can't see any reason secret and nonsecret rooms would be treated differently. And like I said, the messages described in the error image wouldn't make sense to anyone not familiar with DROD and CaravelNet.
So, I think the whole behavior is based around secrets not being initially visible at the H&S minimap. Which I think is a good thing, avoiding spoiling things for the player and all.

I strongly support skell's suggestion (actually, for normal drod as well). That was sorta what I wanted to suggest, although I really didn't get any clarity into my posts.

06-22-2012 at 11:11 PM
Jatopian
I don't see a problem with skell's idea, even for normal DROD, if it is feasible.

06-23-2012 at 12:30 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Can't see FDROD secret room image
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com