Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : help compiling DROD 3.3 with MS VC++ 2010 Express
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon help compiling DROD 3.3 with MS VC++ 2010 Express (+1)  
skell helpfully provided me with the built third party packages, but I ran into trouble following silver's guide when I got to step 37, because adding directories in global settings is deprecated in VC++ 2010. So I read this and put the directories in a "property sheet" instead, which I then added to all five (CaravelNet is unavailable) "projects" in the "solution".

I keep getting the error "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'expat.h': No such file or directory". However, the file is definitely there, and the include directory is spelled correctly. Oddly, this appears to be the only file that can't be found.

I have no idea what to do about this.

05-15-2012 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: help compiling DROD 3.3 with MS VC++ 2010 Express (0)  
I haven't tried using VC++ 2010 yet, so I'm probably not going to be much help with this one. When you say "adding directories in global settings is deprecated in VC++ 2010", do you mean they don't allow you to specify additional global Include and Library directories at all?

Would you please post the file and line that is giving you this include error?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-15-2012 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian

File: Build_output.txt (39.6 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
It seems to be a couple of files. Here's the output from when I last tried to build it.
mrimer wrote: do you mean they don't allow you to specify additional global Include and Library directories at all?
Yes... :( Well, there seems to be a hackish way, but I decided not to try it as a first resort and didn't look into it carefully.

05-15-2012 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: help compiling DROD 3.3 with MS VC++ 2010 Express (+1)  
I played with this a little tonight. Just updated all my libraries so I thought why not try to compile in VS2010 while I'm at it.

VS2010 does deprecate the "Visual C++ Directories" thing, but not really. Yes, you add them to a property sheet on a per-project basis, but that property sheet by default inherits from a global setting. I don't know how to edit it in VS2010, but you can edit the file(s) C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSBuild\v4.0\Microsoft.Cpp.<Target>.user.props

Mine already contained the VS2008 global includes that I had in VS2008 when I installed VS2010. I updated them to be my current lib/include dirs and everything compiled fine, except that Neather thing you can see in Jatopian's error log, which is easily fixed by adding a GOALTYPE:: in front of all of those GOALTYPE members. There are a lot of them.

05-15-2012 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks, Jatopian. Hrmph. Yeah, it's just not finding <expat.h> in any of the Include directories you've specified. I can only suggest to double check that you have a directory for each library, like Expat, listed both in the Include and the Library paths.

Barring that, time for some sanity checks:
* Copy-and-paste expat's Include directory into Windows Explorer to see that the directory you expect comes up.
* copy the expat.h file to another lib's directory, where other .h files are referenced. See whether it gets found there now.

These might not be helpful, but they could provide a workaround.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-15-2012 05:39 AM]
05-15-2012 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Turns out there was a stray hyphen in the path. Can't believe I didn't spot that.

Unfortunately now I have another problem. The latest versions of the various ogg third party components are different enough that silver's guide to building them can't be followed blindly. (Apparently, the versions in the guide are not used anymore.) Also have to find some of them. I'll post again if I can't figure it out.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-15-2012 11:57 PM]
05-15-2012 at 10:53 PM
Jatopian
Ended up having Schik build the vorbis and theora libraries for me. Ah well. Thanks Schik!

He also found this post by Rich_Sposato when I got a circular dependency error. It was apparently a VC++ 2010 thing.

It compiled. Tomorrow I'll find out whether it works.

05-16-2012 at 04:49 AM
mrimer
Awesome, Jatopian!

If you don't mind, we could include your VC++ 2010 project files into our codebase and future releases of the source code. What do you think?

05-16-2012 at 11:22 PM
Schik
I could always just check in the ones that I've got working...

05-17-2012 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Schik wrote: I could always just check in the ones that I've got working...
This is probably safer. Mine does seem to be working, but Schik's more experienced at this.

05-17-2012 at 02:58 AM
mrimer
Schik wrote:
I could always just check in the ones that I've got working...
Sure! We should probably also have skell check in the 2005 project file changes he got working too.

05-17-2012 at 05:07 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
mrimer wrote:
Sure! We should probably also have skell check in the 2005 project file changes he got working too.
Oh my, that's not the best idea, because, in the meantime (one windows reinstallation) something must have got lost in the global compiler settings or something because I was unable to get my 2005 projects to build (linking problems).

05-17-2012 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
How do you managed to compile DROD with VS 2010? Last time I checked, VS 2010 supported std::move from C++11 which makes move enumeration in Neather.cpp ambiguous due to "using namespace std;" and so leads to compile errors.
06-22-2012 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
What I did when I was playing around with VS2010 was move that enumeration inside the Neather class.

06-22-2012 at 10:12 PM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
I will be glad if this move would end up in sources.
06-25-2012 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : help compiling DROD 3.3 with MS VC++ 2010 Express
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com