Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
ebenezer
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West (0)  
I can't get the topmost plate get pressed; at final (right) gap, wraithwing follows me one step south-east and the roach goes south to the vertical gap instead of going east. (It worked with two first plates...) Is there another way?

04-08-2012 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West (+3)  
Click here to view the secret text

04-08-2012 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ebenezer
Rank Points: 18
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West (0)  
Hmmm...
I'm using the same roach - fist "free" roach for all. To open north trapdoor I guide the roach to the west plate while I use wraithwing to block (i kill the trapped roach). And then i guide the roach to the eastern path to open south trapdoor (I kill the trapped roach)...
I can't see how i can use other roach... does not every roach move the same way?

Yes...!

But I don't know why :)

Thank you
:thumbsup

[Last edited by ebenezer at 04-08-2012 09:26 AM]
04-08-2012 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kramer
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
I can't even get the roach onto the plate at all!
I'm assuming I need to get the WW lined up between Gunthro and the plate ... I just can't get enough space between the roach and Gunthro to make it work. Or have I missed something?

05-04-2012 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West (+2)  
I think you have.

The wraithwing needs to be postioned...

The space between you and the roach...

Notice the different coloured floor tiles (the ones not part of the chequerboard)... they have been put there for a reason.

[Last edited by bwross at 05-05-2012 05:22 AM]
05-05-2012 at 05:22 AM
Kramer
Rank Points: 12
Phew! Got it! I now know more about WW movement than I ever wanted to. Kinda like parallel parking without mirrors ... :)
05-05-2012 at 03:45 PM
smiteo
Rank Points: 10
wish I had even a clue on how to START this level...
I know I need to get the roach on one of the plates, but I've been completely unable to... any advice? even as to what order I should attempt to try these?

05-08-2012 at 09:41 PM
Ivcha Pivcha
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 80

File: GatEB Wraithwing Swamp 2N1W start.demo (5.1 KB)
Downloaded 178 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West (+1)  
It's easy if you try.

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco
05-08-2012 at 10:18 PM
smiteo
Ivcha Pivcha wrote:
It's easy if you try.

it took a few attempts, but finally I got it...
Seems like I figure levels out as soon as I post asking for help...
05-08-2012 at 11:09 PM
JoolsC
Rank Points: 15
I'm hoping posting will do the trick for me. I hate wraithwings as I can never get them to do what I want. I have noticed the tiles but have no clue how to get the ww between gunthro and the roach. Help please!!! I'm desperate and I have been trying for hours and haven't come close to opening a single trapdoor!! :weep
07-08-2012 at 01:52 PM
bwross
Rank Points: 376
The basic shuffle for moving a single Wraithwing sideways (when it's at 5 away and directly in front) is to move backwards diagonally and when you get to the target row/column, you push it straight forward. The post two above yours has a demo attached that will show you exactly how this works for the first section of this room, as well as the final little move that gets the Wraithwing on the blocking squares.
07-08-2012 at 03:16 PM
JoolsC
Rank Points: 15
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the demo. Seeing the first bit made it easy to work out the other three wraiths. I can move on at last. :thumbsup
07-08-2012 at 11:24 PM
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
Any tips on getting a roach on the northern plate? I'm having the same problem as the OP -- the fact that the roach moves before the wraithwing in this scenario makes it seem that I need a different manipulation to the other pressure plates.

07-16-2013 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
If the hints aren't helping, try downloading the demo attached to the 8th post in this thread.
07-16-2013 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Odyssey
I did but the demo only shows it up to the point of killing the first roach (to the west), not the whole room. The same strategy does not appear to work for the north pressure plate.

07-16-2013 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596

File: GatEB Wraithwing Swamp 2N1W Victory.demo (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 118 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West (+3)  
Here is a full demo.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

07-16-2013 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Odyssey
Thanks! Strange that if you use a different roach then it's impossible to get it on to a different pressure plate. That is strange, I wonder why that is.

07-17-2013 at 08:54 PM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Movement order shouldn't matter. The target square for the wraithwing can be reached without reference to it.

[Last edited by JLE at 01-17-2020 01:41 PM]
01-17-2020 at 04:14 AM
Dying Flutchman
Rank Points: 406
Did you know that you can use the tags
code
and
/code
to use a fixed width font? Just insert those tags in square brackets like bold or italics.
and then your
text has per-
fect spacing!

That feature makes asci-diagrams so much easier to draw and understand :)

And thanks for your explanation!

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 01-17-2020 08:16 AM]
01-17-2020 at 08:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techroot
navithmastero wrote:
Here is a full demo.

-nm

Call me stupid but I don't see any demo, both when logged out and logged in
08-26-2022 at 11:32 PM
techroot
Oh, now I see it. Leaving it to future readers as yet another exercise in Caravel's puzzles, as well as finding "Reply without quote" button.
08-26-2022 at 11:33 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Gunthro and the Epic Blunder : Wraithwing Swamp : 2 North, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com