Announcement: Be excellent to each other.


Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 248
Registered: 03-28-2009
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
Banjooie wrote:
So when do we let him know the DROD devs are following him, for maximum terror inducement?


If he reads his YouTube comments ..... I told him of his fame here: I think he can take the heat, don't you?

____________________________
76th SkyWatcher / 746th Spoostlefish Calmer
When the only tool you have is a Really Big Sword, all problems start to look like Giant Roaches

05-01-2014 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2323
Registered: 12-28-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
This was actually fun. Completely unlike Pearls LPs which are also fun but in a completely different way :).

____________________________
I am a skelliopath.
05-01-2014 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3202
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
I love the way these Let's Plays allow us to see the games through the eyes of someone new to them, for whom all the surprises are still genuinely surprising. In The City Beneath - Part 4, Alex reaches Interlude : Negotiations, and his reaction to playing as the Negotiator is heartwarming. I can't wait to see how he reacts to the twists coming up later in this game and TSS! ;)

____________________________
50th Skywatcher
05-04-2014 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 4335
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
My thoughts exactly! :)

____________________________
Gandalf? Yes... That's what they
used to call me.
Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.
I am Gandalf the White.
And I come back to you now at the
turn of the tide.
05-05-2014 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1076
Registered: 06-10-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+4)  
The main thing that makes DROD compelling is a certain cycle that happens within a room.

1) I have no idea what to do, this room makes no sense.
2) Oh, I see, I need to do X and Y, and this is how.
3) Wait, that's impossible because Z.
4) *moment of realization* (somehow these realizations keep happening, even with elements that I've known how they work for a decade)
5) For more difficult rooms, repeat steps 3 and 4 seemingly indefinitely.
6) Let's see what's next. (go to 1 for the next room)


You can see this cycle really well here.


____________________________
Once (adv.): Enough.
Twice (adv.): Once too often.
~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-05-2014 02:48 AM]
05-05-2014 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Registered: 04-17-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
quote:
Pinnacle wrote:
The main thing that makes DROD compelling is a certain cycle that happens within a room.



That's true of general problem solving. It's where things like the XY Problem¹ come from (different X and Y). What you're missing is:

5b) If you have been doing this indefinitely, start repeating from 2, because your assumption on X or² Y is probably wrong.

Watching beginner LPs reveals how beginners are really playing a different and harder game. There's a form of unstable equilibrium, where an experienced player can quickly stop things from being a problem and thus never even sees (let alone solves) the problems that a beginner runs into (and sometimes overcomes). I noticed this first when I first played KDD 2.0... which was made easier by the addition of things like undo and an onscreen clock and the ability to click on orbs³ etc., but not so much from remembering things about when I played KDD before. If anything, those probably hurt me more than helped... I was far better off just evaluating things from my new experience. Rooms that were difficult and long I could now do in much less time because I didn't go making additional problems for myself. You can see that in these LPs. For example, in 11:4N, Alex had a mistaken assumption that stepping on any fuse was bad (not just endpoints)... he still managed to do the room, which is hard enough without that added restriction. In 15:1W, he comes up with the best place for the first decoy, which essentially solves the room. But since he hadn't seen the diagonal shortcut, it failed him and he went back to a weaker position, and got stuck on solving the room with the that position (instead of recognizing that the new information solves what was wrong with the better position... and hits less than a minute after), which just meant he dropped new problems on himself. Which isn't to say that experienced players don't create additional problems for themselves, you just get somewhat less prone to it and realize the importance of 5b above... if things are seeming overly complicated, sometimes it's best to go back and check the original assumptions, information you've uncovered since starting the room might well change what you think of them (which is one thing behind why posting to H&S sometimes solves rooms... it makes you look at assumptions that you haven't thought about for a while).


¹ Person wants to do X, looks at it, finds that it would be easy if they could do X'. Looking at X', that would be easy if X" was done, and so on until you get to Y. Y tends to be ridiculous or impossible and probably has little to do with X anymore. This is the question people will eventually give up and ask when they go looking for help, so it's important when helping people that you recognize a Y question, and first ask "what were you originally trying to do?" to get X, because often the error was that they missed the easy solution there, and that's what they really need help with. One advantage with DROD is that X is always given when someone asks a question about a room, because it is the room. Which makes the XY Problem not much of a problem to worry about in H&S, but something to keep in mind when solving rooms.

² Note that's not an exclusive xor.

³ I kind of miss the old "testing phase puzzle", which was about figuring out the quickest way to get to every orb and hit it multiple times. There are little tricks and challenges to it that make it fun in some rooms, if you're willing to accept it as a minigame that allows you to experience some of the room before getting down to solving it. Like orb puzzles, they're pretty fun if you treat them as puzzles you solve with heuristics and not something you just bang on orbs hoping to stumble on the solution until you give up and toss it to a program that will brute force the solution.

[Last edited by bwross at 05-06-2014 02:18 AM]
05-06-2014 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1613
Registered: 12-12-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
quote:
Like orb puzzles, they're pretty fun


hold

what you are saying is wrong

why do you say such a thing
05-06-2014 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Emojk
Level: Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 94
Registered: 09-05-2010
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
bwross wrote:
I noticed this first when I first played KDD 2.0... which was made easier by the addition of things like undo and an onscreen clock and the ability to click on orbs³ etc., but not so much from remembering things about when I played KDD before.


This is almost unrelated, but I've been wondering why was it decided to allow for more undo moves in KDD Flash (I think it's 3, opposed to 1 in the original and its sequels)... Because I find 3 undos much more pleasant than 1. Sometimes I hit a wrong sequence of keys by inattention, and I wind up having to redo a whole room...
05-06-2014 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
Registered: 10-14-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
With TSS you'll be able to use even more undos, if you so choose.... :thumbsup
05-06-2014 at 10:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2323
Registered: 12-28-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
quote:
Emojk wrote:
This is almost unrelated, but I've been wondering why was it decided to allow for more undo moves in KDD Flash (I think it's 3, opposed to 1 in the original and its sequels)... Because I find 3 undos much more pleasant than 1. Sometimes I hit a wrong sequence of keys by inattention, and I wind up having to redo a whole room...

That's exactly why. We didn't want unlimited undo at that time, so it was unanimously decided to go with three, which is a nice number. It's the smallest odd prime after all ;).

____________________________
I am a skelliopath.
05-06-2014 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Registered: 04-17-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
quote:
Banjooie wrote:
quote:
Like orb puzzles, they're pretty fun


hold

what you are saying is wrong

why do you say such a thing


There was a pretty big "if" clause attached to that. Orb puzzles are just a form of ordering puzzle, which occurs in many other ways in the game. So I don't mind the occasional one, because it's just expressed in more of a logic puzzle way.


On the subject of undoes... I've said elsewhere that an increase is probably warranted, mostly it comes down to the fact that more things can happen in a single tick now (pressure plates are a large cause of this). Three really is a good number (actually, two is a good number... it's a smaller prime and an odder prime, being the only even one). More, especially unlimited, I can't say I like at all. :( Definitely an unfeature for me... but I'll probably learn to hate it less than builders.

But to get things back on topic... I'm really looking forward to seeing what Alex thinks of Adders. Mirrors were one of the first things he wasn't that enthusiastic about, but I think that's true of a lot of people (as the mirror introductory level is a bit tutorial, with no meaty puzzles).
05-08-2014 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3202
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
bwross wrote: More, especially unlimited, I can't say I like at all. :( Definitely an unfeature for me... but I'll probably learn to hate it less than builders.

Or just don't enable it. I've played through the TSS beta without unlimited undo, and never felt I was missing out -- the designers have taken even more care than in previous versions to make sure checkpoints are appropriately placed.

I'm very glad it's in the game, though, so that I can enable it for the odd room or two in existing holds (whether official or not) that have a checkpoint problem. For instance (bringing this back to the subject of Alex's Let's Play) if I'm going to continue watching, I'll have to go back and complete the remaining secret rooms before Alex reaches them. There was one in particular in River Dugan that I'm thinking of... attempting it was an absolute nightmare, just because the designers forgot to include a checkpoint.

____________________________
50th Skywatcher

[Last edited by Nuntar at 05-08-2014 03:19 PM]
05-08-2014 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 248
Registered: 03-28-2009
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
Nuntar wrote:
I love the way these Let's Plays allow us to see the games through the eyes of someone new to them


Yes, I agree with this: here's another example (cross-referenced from the room)

quote:
karlpopper wrote: Pearls / Alex Diener optimization style


____________________________
76th SkyWatcher / 746th Spoostlefish Calmer
When the only tool you have is a Really Big Sword, all problems start to look like Giant Roaches

05-09-2014 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Registered: 04-17-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
quote:
Nuntar wrote:
quote:
bwross wrote: More, especially unlimited, I can't say I like at all. :( Definitely an unfeature for me... but I'll probably learn to hate it less than builders.

Or just don't enable it. I've played through the TSS beta without unlimited undo, and never felt I was missing out -- the designers have taken even more care than in previous versions to make sure checkpoints are appropriately placed.



Yes, Moo already said as much, and I still said I hated it. There isn't a real choice to opt out, it's really a dilemma... a zugzwang, actually, because I'd rather not be making the choice at all. Putting up with thought terminating clichés is just another reason not to like it.

quote:

I'm very glad it's in the game, though, so that I can enable it for the odd room or two in existing holds (whether official or not) that have a checkpoint problem. For instance (bringing this back to the subject of Alex's Let's Play) if I'm going to continue watching, I'll have to go back and complete the remaining secret rooms before Alex reaches them. There was one in particular in River Dugan that I'm thinking of... attempting it was an absolute nightmare, just because the designers forgot to include a checkpoint.


I had to go check which room you were talking about... when you talk about River Dugan and the secret room I haven't wanted to do yet on my play through last month, it's the fegundo/briar room, and I know that has a least a couple checkpoints. I never noticed the other one had no checkpoint... it's a short room because of the timer, so I guess I never really felt like I lost a lot of progress by simply restarting. Or it could just be that I focus on getting the opening right on rooms like that, so my restarts were mostly early (because that's how you make things easier... by getting into the early position of a strong player, not a beginner, so you don't need to find some extra magic or solve extra problems later).

I don't think there's a lot of rush on doing secret rooms before Alex... he doesn't spend time looking for them, so it's only the obvious ones that he runs into and does (like the maze). I don't think he's going to see any of the cracks on that level while passing through. Which is just as well, I also skipped almost all the secrets on my latest play... the story and levels flow better that way, because you avoid a lot of tedious rooms until after you're done. Which makes for much better LP... he's been managing one level per video lately (and that really wouldn't have happened if he'd found and done the secret room on Homeward Ascent). It will certainly be smoother if he misses the secrets on River Dugan on the way through.
05-09-2014 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1076
Registered: 06-10-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
All unlimited undo actually does is allows you to rewind minor tactical errors. You still need to understand the room, come up with a strategy and solve it. A room that's trivialized by UU was never a good room in the first place.

____________________________
Once (adv.): Enough.
Twice (adv.): Once too often.
~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
05-09-2014 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Avatar
Rank Points: 248
Registered: 03-28-2009
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
quote:
Pinnacle wrote:
A room that's trivialized by unlimited-undo was never a good room in the first place.


Well said: that should go in the help text for the game.

____________________________
76th SkyWatcher / 746th Spoostlefish Calmer
When the only tool you have is a Really Big Sword, all problems start to look like Giant Roaches

05-09-2014 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 4335
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
When I'm playing, I have UU enabled. It's just for expediency, because I rarely undo more than a few consecutive moves at a time. So, when I need it, I don't *really* need it -- it just saves me a few seconds of replaying a few more moves from the last checkpoint. And when I do undo a few moves or more, I never feel like I'm being a punk that's breaking someone's oh-so-crafty puzzle.

____________________________
Gandalf? Yes... That's what they
used to call me.
Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.
I am Gandalf the White.
And I come back to you now at the
turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-09-2014 01:53 PM]
05-09-2014 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 4335
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
I read online somewhere that Alex is hoping to finish his LP of TCB before TSS comes out.

____________________________
Gandalf? Yes... That's what they
used to call me.
Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.
I am Gandalf the White.
And I come back to you now at the
turn of the tide.
05-10-2014 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1076
Registered: 06-10-2004
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
mrimer wrote:
I read online somewhere that Alex is hoping to finish his LP of TCB before TSS comes out.

You don't intend for him to win that race, do you? :P

____________________________
Once (adv.): Enough.
Twice (adv.): Once too often.
~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-10-2014 12:40 AM]
05-10-2014 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 4335
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
Yes, that's the question of the hour, isn't it. The answer is "No way!"

____________________________
Gandalf? Yes... That's what they
used to call me.
Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.
I am Gandalf the White.
And I come back to you now at the
turn of the tide.
05-10-2014 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Registered: 04-17-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
Pinnacle wrote:
All unlimited undo actually does is allows you to rewind minor tactical errors. You still need to understand the room, come up with a strategy and solve it. A room that's trivialized by UU is No True Scotsman.


FTFY.

There are good rooms where the only puzzle is in being able to execute tactics well. You may not care for them enough to consider them a "True Scotsman", but some of us like them plenty enough (at least occasionally, they're a good break from linchpins and rooms where you have to understand everything). And it's not about everything getting trivialized, but when moves have all consequence stripped from them, things like tactical rooms get belittled. You'll also get Frankenreplays (which I have already seen on rare occasion with checkpoints), which belittle the idea of beating the room.

And now someone is thinking they should jump in again with "but you can choose to not use it"... which is a sign that they don't get it (because it's not about that), and as I've already said, just another reason I hate it (because having people present an option as an opt-out that isn't one gets tiring). The modified quote above is similar, some will see that as a tautology, but some will see a fallacy in it (because room taste is subjective), which makes the comment come across as dismissive, and having little to do with the issue (because even it was completely objectively true, I'd still hate it, because it's not about that). I'm willing to live with it, but you'll never convince me like it, so people will just have to respect that and move on. You'd have a better chance of convincing me not to hate builders (and I hate them more than anything). I'm really looking forward to seeing Alex's reaction to them... maybe he'll like them, but then again he doesn't care for wubbas.

(I seem touchy right now, that's probably because last month an opt-out I was using to avoid a change that causes me a little stress has suddenly become a major source of stress, because the environment has changed. So people promising me that "if I don't like it, I can not use it" and trying to dismiss things with "I find it doesn't bother me, why should it bother you" and minimize with "it's not as big a thing as you think" hits a nerve right now.)
05-10-2014 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 4335
Registered: 02-04-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
bwross wrote:
(I seem touchy right now, that's probably because last month an opt-out I was using to avoid a change that causes me a little stress has suddenly become a major source of stress, because the environment has changed. So people promising me that "if I don't like it, I can not use it" and trying to dismiss things with "I find it doesn't bother me, why should it bother you" and minimize with "it's not as big a thing as you think" hits a nerve right now.)
Aw, I'm sorry you're having a hard time and about the stress. Hope things get better soon.

____________________________
Gandalf? Yes... That's what they
used to call me.
Gandalf the Grey. That was my name.
I am Gandalf the White.
And I come back to you now at the
turn of the tide.
05-10-2014 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Avatar
Rank Points: 343
Registered: 06-09-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
bwross wrote:

(I seem touchy right now, that's probably because last month an opt-out I was using to avoid a change that causes me a little stress has suddenly become a major source of stress, because the environment has changed. So people promising me that "if I don't like it, I can not use it" and trying to dismiss things with "I find it doesn't bother me, why should it bother you" and minimize with "it's not as big a thing as you think" hits a nerve right now.)


Is it safety? Jokes aside, I work residential construction and the amount of onerous safety is ridiculous. See working on a four foot deep hole and needing evacuation procedures or a working on an acreage and needing to wear a hard hat. So, it gets to me too.

Edit: But I don't get the "if I don't like it, I can not use it". I have to use it.

____________________________
Last night upon a stair
I met a man that wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 05-11-2014 04:40 PM]
05-11-2014 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3202
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
bwross wrote: I don't think there's a lot of rush on doing secret rooms before Alex... he doesn't spend time looking for them, so it's only the obvious ones that he runs into and does (like the maze). I don't think he's going to see any of the cracks on that level while passing through. Which is just as well, I also skipped almost all the secrets on my latest play... the story and levels flow better that way, because you avoid a lot of tedious rooms until after you're done. Which makes for much better LP... he's been managing one level per video lately (and that really wouldn't have happened if he'd found and done the secret room on Homeward Ascent). It will certainly be smoother if he misses the secrets on River Dugan on the way through.

You have a point -- but, as most of the secret rooms in TCB are just hidden by secret walls, none are really more "obvious" than others, and it's mostly luck which ones Alex finds. So, as he's reached Castle Dugan now, I went back and did the River Dugan secrets. (You were right -- the fegundo/briar one was just as hellish as the other one I was stuck on.)

I can relax all the way up to A Goblin's-Eye View now :)

(And I'm sorry if I upset you with my remarks on unlimited undo. I really just wanted to stress that even though it's in, the TSS team have taken more care than in previous holds to ensure adequate checkpoint coverage.)

____________________________
50th Skywatcher
05-16-2014 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Registered: 04-17-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
Some secrets use the more crumbly walls and some of the styles are easier to spot than others (although that's subjective). I figure that he's probably going to see the fegundo maze one, because that's on a suspicious hallway (which is another way a secret becomes more obvious). But other than that, spotting the cracks in that style isn't as easy as that corner leading to the Tetris room... so I'm guessing that the other two get missed on the first pass.

My theory is that I don't care for fegundo/briar combo rooms because it's two asynchronous things that you need to work with together.¹ Plus, it's slow chopping with all the waiting for the fegundo, so it gets tedious. At least this one didn't require efficiency.

Oh yeah, the Goblin's Eye view one... I ended up doing that one twice this time, because somehow I missed seeing one of the mazes until I'd solved it for three. The cracks for that one seem much more obvious that the River Dugan ones (even though it's the same style), so you'll definitely want to do that one in advance.


¹ Multiple undo will definitely make rooms like that easier, because a single undo will never help a fegundo that's regenerating on the ground from being eaten by briar... right now you need to keep an eye on the briar countdown to avoid losing a lot of progress to that, but with enough undo you can easily fumble through without thinking about such consequences before they happen, because you can always just respond after. That's the sort of thing that bothers me... it's not really about the game, because it's more about the Philosophy of Games.

[Last edited by bwross at 05-17-2014 06:34 AM]
05-17-2014 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1216
Registered: 05-12-2005
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
I will not get involved in the UU debate (or will I?) but just wanted to add to the Pinnacle/bwross posts...

I basically agree fully with Pinnacle.

For those who are new or don't care, I'm an optimiser. It's the only reason I play and drod has been my only focus several times over many years.

I'm not the best optimiser but Pinnacle's post grabbed my attention so I figured I'd explain my approach:

1) Enter room
2) Optimise entrance
3) Optimise transition
4) Optimise next room
5) (Pinnacle's 3) - realise I'm not approaching it right
6) 4) (almost) believe I've found a way to reach where I should be
7) Repeat 1-6
8) Start from scratch having realised I entered from the wrong side to optimise
9) Repeat 1-9
10) *finally* work out what needs to be done to solve the room
11) Repeat 1-10
12) Accept I have no idea how to solve the room and move to the next hold

--

I would love to record some LP but my approach as above would make it as boring as can be. I don't analyse a room before attempting it and that can't be good viewing.

Anyhows, those are my steps I take in each and every room
05-19-2014 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2928
Registered: 03-29-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
I might have to check out this TCB Let's Play. Or, at least, the ones that feature my levels, it might be the closest I will ever get to being on Youtube.

According to my accounting of the rooms in the feedback thread, Adam did "the two secret rooms farthest from The Entrance" which implies there were more than two secret rooms and that I did the other(s). So, I might be responsible for some of the complaining in this thread. :)

____________________________
"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-28-2014 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 1269
Registered: 03-01-2006
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
( :offtopic )

Oneiro - I haven't seen you for ages! Welcome back (if you *have* been away and I haven't just missed you somehow). :)

____________________________
Winner of: Novice Architect Excellence 2006.
FAPCA - Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics

05-28-2014 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 2928
Registered: 03-29-2003
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
quote:
Elfstone wrote:
( :offtopic )

Oneiro - I haven't seen you for ages! Welcome back (if you *have* been away and I haven't just missed you somehow). :)

Hi Elfstone! I've been lurking behind the scenes. I helped out a tiny bit for TSS (a bit more than for GatEB but not by much--being in the credits is mostly through pity and inertia) but don't have time to read the main forums any more. Marriage, baby, extremely busy at work, you know the drill...

____________________________
"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-28-2014 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Avatar
Rank Points: 3202
Registered: 02-20-2007
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
quote:
Oneiromancer wrote: According to my accounting of the rooms in the feedback thread, Adam did "the two secret rooms farthest from The Entrance" which implies there were more than two secret rooms and that I did the other(s). So, I might be responsible for some of the complaining in this thread. :)

Good to see you're still around :)

You don't remember which rooms you did? :P River Dugan has three secret rooms -- "the two farthest from the Entrance" are 3S4E, the mimic room I was complaining about originally, which is a good room except the architect forgot to include a checkpoint, and 4S6E, which hasn't been mentioned here -- it's a pretty good fegundo maze with a nice linchpin. That means you did 2S2E, the fegundo/briar room bwross mentioned. Well, I must admit I found it more tedious than fun. But you also made Forgotten Ruins 2N1W, so all is forgiven ;)

And now that I've opened TCB to check that, let's see if I can get another couple of secret rooms done....

I did it!!! Hold Mastered at last! :thumbsup

____________________________
50th Skywatcher

[Last edited by Nuntar at 05-29-2014 01:48 AM]
05-28-2014 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Surf To:


Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com

Powered by: tForum tForumHacks Edition b0.98.8
Originally created by Toan Huynh (Copyright © 2000)
Enhanced by the tForumHacks team and the Caravel team.