Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
Jacob wrote:
His reaction to pits is certainly...interesting.
Heh

"Smitemaster... What's a smitemaster?!"
I'm about halfway through the first video and he doesn't seem to know about undo yet. I can only assume he works that out eventually, if he gets to level 12...
03-01-2014 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
(self-etc)
I didn't know about undo til I completed kdd and jtrh and many user holds. Also didn't know what a smitemaster was.

Had fun though so hope that guy is too :)

03-07-2014 at 07:32 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
He sure is. One thing that's really heartwarming about this LP is how excitement he gets out of each new feature. In today's episode, he wrapped up the Sixteenth Level, and his reaction to seeing 1N3E (that's the evil double bomb maze with a mimic) was "This looks like fun", spoken with complete sincerity.

And yes, he does know about undo by now :P

03-10-2014 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
And he's reached level 18! I'm curious to see how that goes, I remember it being something of a brick wall when I first played it.

03-12-2014 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
This seems a good thread to ask about embedding youtube links into hints threads.

I really enjoyed the room, JtRH: L20 1N1E, but it was tough for me, and I needed to have several tries at it, and read the hints.

JtRH: L20 1N1E - Hints Thread

And once I'd solved it I wanted to put a link in the thread to make locating the youtube snippets easy.

Do folk agree that embedding a link this way adds value to the hint thread?

Instructions inside secret text below.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by karlpopper at 04-09-2014 07:09 PM : Added instructions]
03-27-2014 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I'd say posting reference links in the h&s threads to let's plays is a great idea.
03-27-2014 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Yes, that sounds like a great idea!

I wish we had a link to an LP for watching a solution for each and every room. One link per room, I mean, of course.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-28-2014 12:12 AM]
03-28-2014 at 12:11 AM
Moo
How about adding the option to record audio along with demos? ;)
03-28-2014 at 01:15 AM
mrimer
Yeah, this guy knows what he's doing. It's fun to watch the progression of how someone figures out each point in the room. Fortunately, he followed this process in that tough room in L20 in just the way I'd hoped a player would. Looking at the room again at this point in time, I would have included another checkpoint or two, to facilitate play by players who aren't as disciplined as he is.

Moo wrote: How about adding the option to record audio along with demos? ;)
The wink tells me this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's a nice idea from some angles. I like watching the process of how someone solves a room through multiple iterations, and we don't currently support that in demo recording. Might be a nice feature to add at some point.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-29-2014 01:12 AM]
03-29-2014 at 12:56 AM
Syntax
Watching my LP would take just over 4 months of continuous streaming. As fun as that sounds to watch (right?), I'd rather watch the players who fail less :)
03-29-2014 at 09:45 AM
mrimer
Oi, I must be behind the curve. I didn't know you have an LP. That's great! I wish there were a place on the forum for all of these DROD LPs to be listed in one place for players to go and watch.

03-30-2014 at 03:32 PM
Syntax
I actually don't - it was just RL erm P.

I doubt anyone has witnessed as much play as me though... 5K hours and still hven't finished most of the official holds
04-02-2014 at 06:21 AM
karlpopper
mrimer wrote:

I wish we had a link to an LP for watching a solution for each and every room. One link per room, I mean, of course.

Thanks Mike, I've taken this as permission to revive threads in this way for rooms that I found interesting, or entertaining, but only after I've completed them myself.

I put instructions for others in my post above.

I noticed that this kind of necroposting is generally frowned upon (leadboot?) because if everyone did it it would get tedious, and for that reason I'm not going to go hog-wild with this kind of post.

04-09-2014 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Moo
As each video is likely to have several rooms, and you can link to a specific time in a youtube video, and making a post for every room would be tedious (and like you said, necromancy)...
How about something like a single thread with links to the videos, with some kind of markup listing which rooms are at what times in each video... This could be parsed by the site, and the relevant link(s) shown at the top/bottom of any thread about the rooms in question, and also in the find-hints search in case there's no existing threads.
Would need some work to add the functionality to the site, but once that is done, adding links to the videos would be much less laborious and untidy.
04-09-2014 at 07:41 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I think just a way to link it in on the H+S room look-up. It won't clutter the site up at all and you can have multiple links without it being an issue.

I wish that man would stay away
04-10-2014 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'd like to get a page up on the site - just one per authour, but embed one video that has a good summary of that person's playstyles and then link to the various holds they've done (As playlists or whatever)

04-10-2014 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'd argue it might be an idea for anyone to be able to submit a youtube video to the list of Room Solutions, (Or points on a youtube video), and then some kind of rudimentary rating system, so that the best video is the one highlighted when people look for room solutions.
04-10-2014 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Banjooie wrote:
I'd argue it might be an idea for anyone to be able to submit a youtube video to the list of Room Solutions, (Or points on a youtube video), and then some kind of rudimentary rating system, so that the best video is the one highlighted when people look for room solutions.
I think someone is looking into an option for that as well, but I think there's also something to be said for wanting an archive of them for people to watch on an entertainment basis.

04-10-2014 at 02:15 PM
mrimer
Pinnacle wrote:
Was the scary-but-forgiving nature of JtRH level 12 (the tar mother one) a conscious act on the architect's part? As in it shows you all the ways tar can ruin your day, and if you're observant, it's very clear that it could have happened, but it stops short of actually ensnaring you in those potential traps. This basically makes the player treat tar with caution later on without excessively frustrating him/her (as opposed to KDD level 8, which has a tendency to make people give up on the game.) Despite this forgivingness, it's still a difficult level, it just doesn't feel unfair. If so, that's some pretty brilliant level design.
IIRC, Eytan architected this level. He definitely considered factors like these in the design, and I think it turned out very well.

04-10-2014 at 05:07 PM
karlpopper
mrimer wrote:

mmmm: downmodding is unaccountable, right? Presumably by design.
karlpopper wrote:
Pearls .... victory is near on youtube

Lets Play The City Beneath Part 105
So, I'm getting some negative anonymous feedback about this post (it's -2 as I write). Is there any way for me to find out why?

I really don't want to piss off my fellow delvers, but also don't want to give too much weight to a few curmudgeonly delvers .... first world problems, I guess.

04-20-2014 at 05:20 PM
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
karlpopper wrote: So, I'm getting some negative anonymous feedback about this post (it's -2 as I write). Is there any way for me to find out why?

I really don't want to [annoy] my fellow delvers, but also don't want to give too much weight to a few curmudgeonly delvers .... first world problems, I guess.
It's not me (I swear!), but I would guess that it's because someone doesn't know about this discussion regarding posting links to youtube videos for help, and it looks like you're necro-bumping H&S threads with 'useless' posts.

Someone has put that post back to 0 for you.
04-20-2014 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Yeah, no way to know why they did it unless they choose to speak up.

For the record I like the idea of extending the H&S interface to add timestamped LPs to search results along with threads. Sometimes you just need to watch someone solve a room.

04-20-2014 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
karlpopper
Schik wrote:
Yeah, no way to know why they did it unless they choose to speak up.

For the record I like the idea of extending the H&S interface to add timestamped LPs to search results along with threads. Sometimes you just need to watch someone solve a room.
Schik, I couldn't agree more: and if you guys get to it that would be a cute enhancement: but, y'know don't lose focus on the other very big thing that's cooking right now!

Thanks for the mod-points reset (don't be shy) maybe I'll start embedding a link to Mike's "permission" post in future.

Thus far I've only felt like posting a Let's Play link for rooms I found difficult, or where the Let's play solution had some interesting quirk.

04-20-2014 at 05:48 PM
mrimer
Yes, I think it's fine to necro-bump hint threads with an LP link. I don't know why people would care to read bumped H&S threads unless they were looking for a hint anyway, unless they just want to stay up with everything that gets posted on the forum in general.

04-20-2014 at 06:16 PM
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
In the past, we've been reluctant to give away solutions, so demos have generally only been posted as a last resort. I think it's perfectly acceptable to post a link to an LP in place of a demo if someone needs the extra help, but preemptively linking to them seems to go against H&S tradition.
04-20-2014 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
I agree it goes against tradition. I don't mind the DROD experience evolving in ways like this in order to become more accessible to the casual player. My thought process here is that these LPs with these solutions are already out there, so all linking to them does is streamline how players get to the information they are already looking for.

04-20-2014 at 06:21 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
A Let's Play video doesn't add value unless the LPer is giving good commentary on what they're doing and why, and even then this same benefit is often provided in the H&S thread.

My advice is not to post these unless you believe it adds value, and in that case to briefly explain yourself in the linking post.

04-20-2014 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Just to let you know, Alex Diener finished his JtRH playthrough and has just started TCB. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBk6-z6v3pDJ0fEhV9tpi8OaDJf09cY8B

05-01-2014 at 01:59 PM
mrimer
Ooh, he started TCB? I'm gonna check this out!

05-01-2014 at 07:26 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
So when do we let him know the DROD devs are following him, for maximum terror inducement?
05-01-2014 at 08:34 PM
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com