Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Third Level: Thrice South, Once West.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Third Level: Thrice South, Once West. (0)  
C h a l l e n g e !
 Dugan's Dungeon--Third Level: Thrice South, Once West 

Thanks for the challenge reminder Schik...and there's a room addition ability now!

Do this room without turning your sword. (Hint: There's only one possible sword orientation.)

[Edited by zex20913 on 05-04-2003 at 05:04 PM GMT: Add the Challenge thing, and take away the old edit message.]

05-04-2003 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Third Level: Thrice South, Once West. (0)  
I really think including dungeon maps in the challanges is a bad idea - it might cause trouble once the script to import them to the main site will work.

And leaving out the challenge tags means that once the script is in place, your challange won't make it in (in fact, why don't you fix all your challenges? It takes about 30 seconds per challenge to add the header)

05-04-2003 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
And now that I've completed the challenge, I can say that it'll be a real shame if it was missing from the webpage - it's a really good one.

[Edited by eytanz on 05-04-2003 at 06:48 AM]

05-04-2003 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Just as a reminder, the way to mark it as a challenge is

"{challenge}Dugan's Dungeon - Third Level: Thrice South, Once West{/challenge}"

... with the {}s replaced by []s.

And while I do agree that the challenge tag should be used, I don't see why the pictures would be bad - I think they'd be great! The script to add them to the challenge webpage could even recognize them (really easy) and change them to a link to the picture instead of the picture itself, otherwise the challenge page might get too long.

05-04-2003 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Third Level: Thrice South, Once West. (0)  
Schik wrote:
And while I do agree that the challenge tag should be used, I don't see why the pictures would be bad - I think they'd be great! The script to add them to the challenge webpage could even recognize them (really easy) and change them to a link to the picture instead of the picture itself, otherwise the challenge page might get too long.

I think pictures are great when, and if, they are necessary for the challenge - i.e, when you wan't to give complicated instructions ("hit the second orb on the bottom right corner of the screen"). In fact, I think some of the challenges which feature such instructions should be modified to feature room maps.

However, I think room maps in challenges such as this one, which don't require them, are just graticious, and serve no real purpose other than showing the room for players who haven't reached it yet (and yeah, I know it's those players' fault for reading challenges for those rooms at the first place, but still).

Also, as a user with a dial-up connection, I can tell you that room maps significantly slow down the loading of the topic. Which is a real annoyance.

(edited to remove an unwanted smilie that sneaked into the message)

[Edited by eytanz on 05-05-2003 at 12:24 AM]

05-05-2003 at 12:24 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Sorry about that...I wanted to try it out. Yeah, it was a little gratuitous, but I think it is a good thing...people can be like "oh, that room. I'm not going to do that challenge" instead of opening DROD and saying that...whatever. I probably won't do that again.

05-05-2003 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Zex - my criticism wasn't directed at you, but at trying to stop this from becoming a trend; I perfectly understand the desire to play with new toys :)

05-05-2003 at 01:29 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Re: Re: Third Level: Thrice South, Once West. (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Also, as a user with a dial-up connection, I can tell you that room maps significantly slow down the loading of the topic. Which is a real annoyance.
Really? Hrm. The file for this particular room is 11 KB. I played with using JPEGs instead of PNGs, but the JPEG for this room is almost 100 KB. (!!!)

Anyways, I'll play with adding links instead of inline images some time this week.

05-05-2003 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Third Level: Thrice South, Once West. (0)  
Schik wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Really? Hrm. The file for this particular room is 11 KB. I played with using JPEGs instead of PNGs, but the JPEG for this room is almost 100 KB. (!!!)

Anyways, I'll play with adding links instead of inline images some time this week.

I'm not sure why it's slower - but it definitely is.

05-05-2003 at 04:33 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I need some help with this challenge.

I guess that if I clear this challenge in 2.0,
Beethro will tell something else then
when you clear the room with sword turning.

Click here to view the secret text

But I keep going death.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I've found this topic

[Last edited by robin at 04-13-2010 09:59 AM]
04-12-2010 at 09:40 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Third Level: Thrice South, Once West.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com