Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Art in the Real World (The official July, 2011 Contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Art in the Real World (+3)  
Hey, do you remember way back in April when the Kings of the Eighth held an art contest to promote the new Official Number, pi? It turns out they've been deliberating over the entries for the last 2 months (though nobody's quite sure why, since there's already been a winner declared), and they've decided that they really want to see some real world representations of them. I guess they figure it will help them decide whether they made the right choice earlier.

Anyway, the bottom line is that they want to see the art entries in 3D. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick any entry from the contest in April (they will be zipped up and posted below), and create a real world version of it. I encourage you to be creative with materials, and hopefully to have a lot of fun with this too.

Rules of the Contest

1. You must create a real-world representation of one of the submissions.
2. You may use any materials at your disposal.
3. When done, take at least one picture of your entry, zip it/them up, and post them to the submission topic.
4. All entries must be posted in the submission topic no later than Local Time:07-24-2011 at 10:00 PM (to give you the weekend at the end to finish it up if you need).
5. You may enter up to three times. If you submit more than three entries, your three latest entries will be used.
6. Voting will take place from some point on July 25 to some point on July 31 (I can never get the polls to end at the right time, so I'm giving up all pretense of fixed hours). Voting will be based on the new submission only - the quality of the source material is not to be taken into account.

Prizes

First place winner gets any item of his/her choosing from the Prize Pile and 100 rank points. The second- and third-place runner-ups get 50 and 25 rank points, respectively. If the same person wins two prizes, only the highest ranking prize will be awarded.

Now, what did I miss...

07-04-2011 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono

File: Promoting Pi.zip (54.5 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Art in the Real World (0)  
Source material is attached to the left there...

07-04-2011 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
DiMono wrote:
Voting will be based on the new submission only - the quality of the source material is not to be taken into account.
Can/will how true the entry is to its source material be taken into account? :?

07-05-2011 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rat Man wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Voting will be based on the new submission only - the quality of the source material is not to be taken into account.
Can/will how true the entry is to its source material be taken into account? :?
I've been thinking about this, and the best answer I have is "within reason." If you decide to make it out of macaroni, you're probably going to win points for humour, but it's hard to be accurate. So I'd say the judging will have to strike a balance between accuracy and fun.

Did that make sense? Because it barely does so in my mind, and I live here.

07-05-2011 at 12:32 AM
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
I truly can't wait to see looks on all your faces when you see my entry!

07-05-2011 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
10 days left. How's everyone doing?

07-15-2011 at 04:38 AM
DiMono
Just a reminder, the deadline for submissions is exactly 3 days (and 1 minute) from the time of this post.

I seriously can't properly express how excited I am to see what you folks have come up with. This should be awesome.

07-22-2011 at 09:59 PM
DiMono
Alright folks, today is the last day to submit your entries. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

07-25-2011 at 02:47 PM
DiMono
So, the submission deadline has come and gone, and there is one entry. What do you guys think we should do?

a) that entry wins 175 rank points and an item from the prize pile
b) extend the submission deadline
c) cancel the contest and move on to the next one
d) take a break from contests entirely for a while

07-25-2011 at 10:21 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I think the problem here was when you went on a sparsely-populated forum and asked its members to do things requiring Real-Life effort.

d) is probably an overreaction, but not that much of one. The one entrant should get something though. Probably the first place prize.

07-25-2011 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Art in the Real World (+1)  
Why the low response level? As a solid, reliable non-participant I'm probably not the best person to comment; but the current sequence-of-related-contests seems to me to be a good way to shed interest over time.

Any contest will inspire every individual reading about it to either "Take It" or "Leave It". But if the contests are interconnected, one "Leave It" response may well ripple forward for that person: if I've decided to ignore the April contest while it was happening, then I'm likely to want to continue to ignore it in August. If the August contest refers back to the April one, then my decision to skip April near-automatically becomes a decision to skip August as well.

But maybe it's just that a lot of us are in the Northern hemisphere, and we've gone on Summer holiday. During most of this contest's running time I was 800km away from home and busy not doing anything that was at all related to the internet.

As to solutions, I'd say just accept this as an outlier and move on as planned. Entrant gets 100 points (having one entry take three places seems off to me) and a prize, and everybody else gets to see the entry.

Extending the deadline would only make sense if somebody was working on something but ran out of time, but I've seen nothing to suggest this is the case. Canceling the contest is not an option because we do have an entry. If nobody else wanted to compete, tough.
07-25-2011 at 10:53 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Maybe this will encourage participation next time? I'm just not the most creative individual. I thought about macaroni art but scrapped the idea. Looks like I could at least have had second place.

Give the individual first prize is my vote.

07-26-2011 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: Art in the Real World (+1)  
As Jatopian mentioned, requiring people to create (real) things makes it harder for the people to enter.

I thought about entering the contest but
(1) the April contest entries where only three and not very easy to emulate in the physical world,
(2) since none of them were mine I found it a bit hard to "relate to them",
(3) I didn't have much time for it anyway.

I like the idea of a series of contests that are linked between them (the use pi, the previous winner, to create a piece of art was a good idea), but this one maybe was a bit too much work with little choice.

As for what to do, I'd give the person the first prize and move on with the next contest. I'll try to enter it!

07-26-2011 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
I think there are several reasons why there were a lack of entries. Firstly, there were very few entries to that previous contest, which meant people had less choice. Secondly, creating something in 3D (which actually looks good) is much, much more difficult than it sounds. I had originally tried to model the Star Wars picture out of plasticine, but gave up after a few hours of frustration.

Eventually, at the last minute I decided to put something quick together (going for the something is better than nothing route). That 1 entry is mine, and, being put together in around half an hour, it isn't amazing at all.

I wouldn't mind receiving the first place prize at all (as the rules would state), but just don't expect anything great from the entry. Maybe next time participation will be greater, if the contest is a little easier.
07-26-2011 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Art in the Real World (The official July, 2011 Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com