Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Promote The Eighth's New Official Number (The official April, 2011 Contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Promote The Eighth's New Official Number (+2)  
Now that The Eighth has a new Official Number, being PI which is approximately equal to 3.14159265etc, the Kings and Queens have decided to build on the momentum of this momentous occasion by having a contest, at this very moment.

Since at least one of the Kings is colourblind anyway (though nobody knows which one), they have decided to hold an art contest. It is your duty (yes your duty), should you choose to enter, to create a DROD-themed piece of art using only "The Official Number" of colours. That means it is up to you (yes you) to first choose a palette of PI colours, and then create art with it.

Rules of the Contest

1. The colours you use are your own to choose. The canvas background doesn't count as a colour. How you handle the extra 0.14159265etc is up to you, and will be part of the voting process.
2. You must use your palette to create a piece of art, let's say no bigger than 550 pixels in either dimension just so it doesn't get too silly.
3. All entries must be posted in the submission topic no later than Local Time:04-23-2011 at 10:00 PM.
4. You may enter once. If you submit more than one entry, only your last entry will be used for voting.
5. Voting will take place from Local Time:04-24-2011 at 03:00 PM to Local Time:05-01-2011 at 10:00 PM. Voting will be based on two criteria: a score of 1-8 for your subjective opinion of the entry, and a score of 0-2 for how creative the entry was at dealing with the extra 0.14159265etc, added up for a total score of 1-10 as per normal contest voting.

Prizes

First place winner gets any item of his/her choosing from the Prize Pile and 100 rank points. The second- and third-place runner-ups get 50 and 25 rank points, respectively. If the same person wins two prizes, I will be very surprised, and more than a little confused.

Now, what did I miss...

[Last edited by DiMono at 04-08-2011 02:58 PM]
04-08-2011 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number (0)  
That makes no sense whatsoever! I love it! It means that I have a license to make a picture that makes no sense whatsoever! :thumbsup

04-08-2011 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number (+1)  
I wonder how many Obama poster parodies we'll get.

04-08-2011 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: Promote The Eighth's New Official Number (+1)  
I'm partly looking forward to how people deal with the stray percentage of a colour. I have a couple ideas for how I'd do it if it were me, but there's no way I'm more creative than everyone else here put together.

And now everyone should be able to tell why I was hoping the entry for 17,000+ wouldn't win ;)

04-08-2011 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Jatopian wrote:
That's why I did something I knew nobody else would ever think of...:shifty I hope!:fear

04-08-2011 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Jatopian wrote:
Speaking for myself, one fewer than before you posted. Hrm.

04-08-2011 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
The whole PI-thing does make it a bit more complicated, but also more interesting.

However, I need to get my interpretation of the rules confirmed: Am I correct in that, had the number been 12, I would have to use exactly (not at most) twelve distinct colours in the picture?

I may or may not enter this contest... haven't decided yet.

04-08-2011 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Actually, no matter what number you submitted in the last contest, you have to make it Pi. Right, DiMono?

04-08-2011 at 09:52 PM
DiMono
Stefan wrote:
However, I need to get my interpretation of the rules confirmed: Am I correct in that, had the number been 12, I would have to use exactly (not at most) twelve distinct colours in the picture?
I'm not sure it matters, but yes, that's the idea. Otherwise it wouldn't be using The Official Number of colours.

Rat Man wrote:
Actually, no matter what number you submitted in the last contest, you have to make it Pi. Right, DiMono?
Correct.

04-08-2011 at 10:34 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Because King Dugan edict was ignored he is quite pleased that the artist will struggle with that odd fraction in their color selections, "4 was so much better a number, humph!" he was heard to say shortly after the decision for the artwork contest was made.

But count me in I think said the one who was made to deliver the edict.

04-11-2011 at 10:24 AM
Rat Man
almost done, just gotta finish a couple of things and on to finishing touches. I can't wait to see the looks on your faces! (not that I ever will see the looks on your faces)

[Last edited by Rat Man at 04-12-2011 08:56 PM]
04-12-2011 at 08:56 PM
DiMono
Remember everyone, the deadline is this coming Saturday!

04-18-2011 at 08:36 PM
DiMono
DiMono wrote:
Remember everyone, the deadline is this coming Saturday!
Just one more day (and a little bit) to get your entries in, folks! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can come up with here.

04-22-2011 at 01:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Promote The Eighth's New Official Number (The official April, 2011 Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com