Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Macro recorder/player
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon DROD Macro recorder/player (+3)  
Downloads
Latest version 29-june-2011

---

What is it?

After reading this feature request I decided to make an handy little macro program that can record the moves you do while playing, then make Beethro do the same moves step by step.
This is particularly useful when you are testing a room in the editor, make one small change, and don't feel like playing through the whole room again. Just record your first playthrough, then verify step-by-step if the room still works.

Make sure to watch the video below!

---

How to use it

You require .NET Framework 4.0. You can easily find it on Google.
Extract the downloaded rar archive in a folder (make sure both DRODMacro.exe and InputSimulator.dll are in the same folder).

Open DROD and DRODMacro.
Be sure DROD is windowed so you can see the messages DRODMacro gives you.
Press F12 to START RECORDING A MACRO.
While the macro is being recorded, ANY KEYPRESS will be stored. Be sure to only play DROD to avoid unwanted results.
Press ESC to STOP RECORDING.
Press N to START THE MACRO FROM THE BEGINNING. This won't delete the macro, just reset it so you can play it from the beginning as many times as you need to.
Press M to SIMULATE THE NEXT KEYPRESS. Be sure to have DROD open. Any saved keypress will be simulated, including the Escape key.
Press M as many times as you need to step through all the macro. When you reach the end press N to restart, or F12/ESC to record/stop recording a new macro.

---

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlCkuKS0qhA
Watch in HD!

[Last edited by vittro at 06-29-2011 10:58 PM]
06-29-2011 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: DROD Macro recorder/player (0)  
06-29-2011 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Jatopian wrote:
Oh sweet, unlimited undo!

;)

That's another use for it ;)

06-29-2011 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
smartino
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Dear vittro,

Is it possible to add some more features?

1) A (configurable) key combination to start/stop the program from interpreting the keystroke. This will be useful when you need to quick view other programs.

2) import/export to text files

3) print a (move number, move) pair in the consolle window

Thanks in advance,

Sergio Martino

[Last edited by smartino at 08-22-2011 12:07 PM]
08-22-2011 at 12:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
vittro wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Oh sweet, unlimited undo!

;)

That's another use for it ;)
No comment... I'm getting too old for this ;)
08-23-2011 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
When I press "m" no keystroke is sent to drod - except Esc.

Anybody any idea what's going wrong?

adS

07-06-2012 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
If I'd known about this, it would have been included in the Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition category for the 2011 Deadlies. It would have won, too, provided at least two people nominated it and at least one person voted for it.

Being strongly adverse to UU, I'd have declined to vote. However, that doesn't mean I want to discourage tools like this. Any DROD dev is good dev.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-09-2012 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Trickster wrote:
If I'd known about this, it would have been included in the Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition category for the 2011 Deadlies. It would have won, too, provided at least two people nominated it and at least one person voted for it.

Being strongly adverse to UU, I'd have declined to vote. However, that doesn't mean I want to discourage tools like this. Any DROD dev is good dev.

Of course, UU is evil.

However, I can't see how this tool would provide UU.
I even can't see how to use it. :~(

What I would like to use is a tool like this for those rooms with solutions that require 200 moves and have no check pint at all.

adS

07-11-2012 at 07:09 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
It won't provide UU exactly, but it provides something better - the ability to edit a set of actions for the purpose of solving a DROD room. This means that optimizers can easily tweak the sequence until they have exactly what they want, without having to restore to checkpoints and repeat actions etc. So, doing it this way is far more powerful than UU. As far as I know, the main reason not to allow UU is to try to prevent optimization "cheating". As it can already be done using this program (or any other macro program, such as autohotkey), using this as an argument for no UU doesn't really work any more...
07-11-2012 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
Moo wrote:
It won't provide UU exactly, but it provides something better - the ability to edit a set of actions for the purpose of solving a DROD room. This means that optimizers can easily tweak the sequence until they have exactly what they want, without having to restore to checkpoints and repeat actions etc. So, doing it this way is far more powerful than UU.

I have serious doubts this would help.
Anyway, I am certainly not mad enough to optimize speed runs this way ;)

ads

07-11-2012 at 10:05 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Macro recorder/player
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com