Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Nightmare Dungeon (Finished Hold)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Re: Nightmare Dungeon (0)  
Ah...I get it now....

Click here to view the secret text

If you need a complete spoiler:

07-14-2004 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
You can kill all the snakes without hurting that poor tar mother in L2 1E.

I've completed the hold and I have to say it's excellent. I didn't find any problem other than the already mentioned no return from the exit room on L3. However, I found L3 1S1E extremely frustrating and in the end I'm not sure I've solved it the intended way.

I appreciated the secret room on L3.

[edit] I'd still like a savepoint in L2 2N, somewhere under the snake near the bottom. The reason I ask is that I've set my keyboard repeat rate to maximum and as a result have a tendency of running into walls. Always fatal when a snake is breathing down your neck. [/edit]

[Edited by gds on 07-15-2004 at 06:51 PM GMT]
07-15-2004 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I'm about to give up on L3 1S1E and 3W. Any tips to help me complete this otherwise great hold will be very welcome. In 1S1E, I can only release, and occasionally kill, one set of roaches before the snake kills itself or traps me. In 3W, the farthest I got so far is to defend myself with my back to the brains, until I get overrun. I spent over half a century being inefficient, so these rooms do my head in. :~(
07-15-2004 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gds
Level 3, 3W:

As I mentioned I found 1S1E very frustrating. I don't think the way I've solved is a proper solution, it was mostly down to luck. My snake did block all the roaches but I only had time to open was of the door (the top one). After that, it was mostly try and pray that the serpent doesn't block itself.

[Edited by gds on 07-15-2004 at 10:27 PM GMT]
07-15-2004 at 11:26 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
1S1E :

even more spoiling tip

07-15-2004 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I'm pretty sure I just fluked 1S1E. I couldn't see a path that allowed them all to be blocked that didn't get me killed so I ended up doing the roaches 1 set at a time.
07-16-2004 at 12:10 AM
bandit1200
gds wrote:
Level 3, 3W:

arrrgh. I am one move short every time. I've tried numerous times to do it this way, and also

Doom wrote:1S1E :

Again, I must be missing something, as I can't see a way to guide the snake passed all doors without getting stuck and killed off.

07-16-2004 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
I managed to find that extra move for 3W, but 1S1E still has me stumped. Still, the weekend starts here and I have better things to do. No offence Doom, but given a choice of being stumped on your hold and going to the pub, well, DROD doesn't even come a close second. :P
Have a good weekend y'all.
07-16-2004 at 02:23 PM
Doom
icon Re: Nightmare Dungeon (+1)  
Nightmare Dungeon updated. Version 1.3 See the first post for details. By the way, does the post turn red when edited? I´m not sure so I made this post to draw your attention if it doesn´t.
07-17-2004 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Doom wrote:
By the way, does the post turn red when edited? I´m not sure so I made this post to draw your attention if it doesn´t.
Nope

07-17-2004 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Finished every room on level 4 except for as below.

Are you sure 4th level 2S1E is do able? I have killed everything but can't see anyway to exit the room. Is there a missing orb in the brain chamber? I hit every orb after killing the brain but none would open the doors and let me out.

1N your scroll is wrong. I used the same method to do both sides of the room.

07-17-2004 at 05:55 AM
Doom
Darn, my stupid mistake. I updated the brain room. It was impossible to get out. Could you send me your demo of 1N? That would help me to fix it.

[Edited by Doom on 07-17-2004 at 09:38 AM GMT]
07-17-2004 at 10:34 AM
Scott

File: ND13 Level 4 1N Victory.demo (989 bytes)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Other
1N demo.
07-19-2004 at 12:46 AM
Doom
release information

I don´t release any unfinished versions of Nightmare Dungeon anymore. Next version is the final. It´s going to be 7 levels long and there´s going to be over 100 rooms.

Version 1.3 had 4 levels and 55 rooms
There´s currently 5 levels and 70 rooms.
Just informing how long you´ll have to wait...
07-21-2004 at 09:23 AM
Doom
The final version "I hope" of the Nightmare Dunfeon is ready. I'll send it to the holds board after I play it through to make sure it's possible. You'll find it there.
07-26-2004 at 06:57 AM
gds
I figured it would be better to post here rather than on the hold forum as this contains spoilers. There's a few problems with the final version:

Level 6 1W: if you exit this room from the north and haven't completed the level, you can't come back. Remove the 4 squares of tar below the green door.

Level 6 1S: The force arrow lead me to believe you're supposed to come back from 2S this way, yet you can't open the yellow door after that. It's not critical as you can go back to 2S and exit that room the way you came in.

Level 6 1S2W: It's possible to kill one of the serpent very early on, making the navigation through the room much easier than it should be.

Level 4 2S2W: Are you supposed to drop the red doors? I didn't.

Secret room number 4: I think I know where it is, there's a corridor I can see but can't access as it's blocked by force arrows pointing the wrong way. I don't think I've missed any crumbly walls.

Secret room number 5: It's not possible to come back from it. The top most trapdoor is completely surrounded by walls.

Overall, it's a very good hold, fun and varied.
07-27-2004 at 01:35 PM
Doom
gds wrote:

Level 6 1W: if you exit this room from the north and haven't completed the level, you can't come back. Remove the 4 squares of tar below the green door.
-----
Tar removed, it's too easy to make that kind of mistakes...
-----
Level 6 1S: The force arrow lead me to believe you're supposed to come back from 2S this way, yet you can't open the yellow door after that. It's not critical as you can go back to 2S and exit that room the way you came in.
-----
Removed the other path.
-----
Level 6 1S2W: It's possible to kill one of the serpent very early on, making the navigation through the room much easier than it should be.
-----
Fixed that, but it's more boring now.
-----
-----
There's no Level 4 2S2W... If you meant 2S1W : Nope.
-----
Secret room number 4: I think I know where it is, there's a corridor I can see but can't access as it's blocked by force arrows pointing the wrong way. I don't think I've missed any crumbly walls.
-----
There's a way to get in, arrows are correctly placed. Cool, I made a well hidden secret room!
-----
Secret room number 5: It's not possible to come back from it. The top most trapdoor is completely surrounded by walls.
-----
Aww, I made the trapdoors randomly, you should get in there only after blue doors are opened. Fixed that too.
-----
07-27-2004 at 02:28 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
L4 2S 1E is really stumping me. I don't see any way to kill the serpent. I would appreciate a hint.
07-27-2004 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
At first

07-27-2004 at 06:16 PM
gds
Doom wrote:
-----
There's no Level 4 2S2W... If you meant 2S1W : Nope.
Sorry wrong level and wrong coordinates, I meant L5 2S1W.
Secret room number 4: There's a way to get in, arrows are correctly placed. Cool, I made a well hidden secret room!
Yes, you've really stumped me. To be sure, we're talking about Super secret room No 4, not the other two unrequired rooms on the same level.
Secret room number 5: Aww, I made the trapdoors randomly, you should get in there only after blue doors are opened. Fixed that too.
You already couldn't get in if the blue doors hadn't dropped. It looks like it work now (I haven't replayed the whole level yet).
07-27-2004 at 10:27 PM
Doom
Sorry wrong level and wrong coordinates, I meant L5 2S1W.

Secret room number 4: There's a way to get in, arrows are correctly placed. Cool, I made a well hidden secret room!
Yes, you've really stumped me. To be sure, we're talking about Super secret room No 4, not the other two unrequired rooms on the same level.
Yep, I'm not talking about those two rooms.

You already couldn't get in if the blue doors hadn't dropped. It looks like it work now (I haven't replayed the whole level yet). I'm not sure if it still works. I just realised what was wrong. But it might work.
07-28-2004 at 10:05 AM
gds
Doom wrote:
I'm not sure if it still works. I just realised what was wrong. But it might work.
Yes, it works fine now.

And I've finally figured out super secret number 4 :thumbsup
07-29-2004 at 09:42 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Doom wrote:
At first

It's killing me to. do you have another hint
please???
thanks

09-13-2004 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
L4-2S1E
hint#1

hint#2

hint#3

09-14-2004 at 05:35 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Doom wrote:
L4-2S1E

hey, thanks
It worked.

09-14-2004 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Nightmare Dungeon (Finished Hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com