Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Slowdown (Possibly because of CaravelNet.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
IP: Logged
icon DROD Slowdown (0)  
Elfstone mentioned something in chat the other day that she was only very recently noticing a juddery transition whenever a new DROD room is entered; that is, the sliding effect, if you will, stutters...noticeably. (This happens in all versions of DROD, with the exception somehow being RPG.)
Additionally, Beethro's movement is also affected in that it, too, is noticeably jerky (i.e., characterized by abrupt starts and stops), the effect being somewhat similar to an automobile running out of gas.
Anyway, my guess was that this problem was caused by CaravelNet. (Jutt has seconded this.) So I disconnected my modem and started TCB again to see if there was any difference, and the "judder," or whatever you want to call it, was completely gone.
I'm not sure if anything can be done about this, or even if anything should be done about this, as it's possible that only Elfstone and I are experiencing this issue. So I post here to ask: Is anyone else experiencing this? Again, it seems to have happened fairly recently, like a few days ago.

Edit #1: Just wanted to add that it doesn't always happen when CaravelNet is connected—it's intermittent.
Edit #2: See my post below for more info.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 11-09-2010 04:42 PM]
10-31-2010 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
icon Re: DROD Slowdown (+8)  
I experienced similar things after I had received CaravelNet, but I didn't pay much attention to them, since CaravelNet was accompanied by overall slowdowns, so I thought that it could be just because of the slowdowns. As for them, it's probably because I have a slow computer and at that time I had a very hungry antivirus, too.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

10-31-2010 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: DROD Slowdown (0)  
As mentioned above, Beethro's got a bad attack of the shakes - maybe had too much boruisgal recently? :sick

I'm also having slight problems with pages in the site taking upwards of a minute to load sometimes; at other times it's quite normal - most peculiar!

10-31-2010 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Even Google has no idea what boruisgal is. Did you misspell something?

10-31-2010 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Jatopian wrote:
Even Google has no idea what boruisgal is. Did you misspell something?
no, this might explain:
Boruisgal: (n) a drink made with the fermented juice of the fruit of cyanozamia trees

and you'll find a bit more HERE

[Last edited by Elfstone at 11-01-2010 01:42 PM]
10-31-2010 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
FYI I have had no shaking and I am connected to Caravel Net.

11-01-2010 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
My apologies Jatopian, the link I gave above doesn't refer to buruisgal. I have spent some time trying to find the thread with the referrence and failed which is very odd. I have an Appleworks file into which I copied what I had written (off-the-cuff at the time) and it is dated 21/1/06,

Click here to view the secret text

but that did not lead me to the original post. I can't remember either to whom I was addressing the comment - most annoying. I can only assume that the thread was deleted perhaps?

11-01-2010 at 01:51 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Elfstone wrote:
I'm also having slight problems with pages in the site taking upwards of a minute to load sometimes; at other times it's quite normal - most peculiar!
This has been happening a lot to me too... and my connection is fast
11-01-2010 at 03:41 PM
Lamkin

File: profile.jpg (30.5 KB)
Downloaded 245 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD Slowdown (+1)  
Well, for what it's worth, I think I know what's causing my slowdown: playing DROD while chatting via the forum. (And it doesn't seem to matter whether or not I also use the in-game chat.)

On a side note, have we always been able to click on a username to see that individual's profile, or is this new? :blush :)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 11-09-2010 06:23 PM]
11-09-2010 at 03:56 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Hrm. Weird. What browser are you chatting with?

Oh, I think I made the username into a link at the same time as the recent login change. Forgot about that one.

11-09-2010 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Lamkin
Schik wrote:
Hrm. Weird. What browser are you chatting with?
Safari (version 4.1.2)
Edit: Oh yeah, I think Elf's slowdown might be caused by the same thing...and I know she uses Safari as well.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 11-09-2010 04:31 PM]
11-09-2010 at 04:29 PM
Elfstone
Following on from an in-game chat with Lamkin I tried playing without forum chat open and it made an immediate and significant difference: I went wheeching around half a dozen or so rooms that I had completed and the room transitions were back to their usual smooth movement.

However the site is still a bit idiosyncratic: this evening it took 27 seconds for the front page to load. I couldn't get into "Bugs" at all (well, actually I ran out of patience waiting). This is the only site that does that as far as I'm aware.

11-09-2010 at 05:45 PM
Lamkin
Oh, and the other thing I neglected to mention is that both Elfstone and I are using the Mac OS (Tiger), so it's Safari for OS X, though I'm not sure if that matters.

And I just wanted to add that there's no noticeable DROD slowdown while playing and chatting via the forum when I use Firefox (version 3.6.8).

[Last edited by Lamkin at 11-09-2010 09:07 PM]
11-09-2010 at 06:52 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
I assume there's some way to see how much CPU each task is using? Does it look like Safari is taking up a lot of CPU while in chat? Compared to firefox? Other than taking up computer resources, I'm not sure why DROD would be slower when running chat in Safari.

11-09-2010 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Lamkin
Schik wrote:
I assume there's some way to see how much CPU each task is using? Does it look like Safari is taking up a lot of CPU while in chat? Compared to firefox?
Apple's Activity Monitor is showing that, every seven or eight seconds, Safari is using anywhere from 60% to 90% of the CPU when I'm in forum chat. Wow. Firefox, on the other hand, maxes out at about 10% (but usually hovers around .5%). :huh

[Last edited by Lamkin at 11-09-2010 10:45 PM]
11-09-2010 at 10:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Slowdown (Possibly because of CaravelNet.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com