Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : No DROD on steam?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
IP: Logged
icon No DROD on steam? (+2)  
I haven't been on this forum for a fairly long time, so forgive me if everyone else knows the answer.

Why isn't DROD on steam?

Now DROD is a very game, but I fear it is also very unknown.
If I remember, it was mentioned on Penny Arcade (not even in a comic) and the site got a billion views and crashed.

I'm sure steam would be a great way to advertise if nothing else. They give lots of attention to games they like, and they have millions of users who I'm sure would love to play the game.

What are other people's thoughts?
I personally think it would be great to introduce lots of new players to the game, and this seems like a good way.
08-26-2010 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: No DROD on steam? (0)  
I think this would be great... two years ago when DROD was still in active development and its creator wasn't off trying to do some cell phone consumerist thing in a totally unsuitable economic climate. Now? If we get a writeup, it's going to be "Deadly Rooms of Death Is Dead; Don't Bother".

Besides, god forbid we give up CaravelNet Chat, I mean, it's slightly better than Steam IM.

Also we have to have our own off-site hold upload and rating thing, I dunno how Steam would like that.

Edit: Actually, ethicalspender.org is down, so I have no idea what Erik is up to these days.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-26-2010 09:59 PM]
08-26-2010 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
I'm sure the Steam guys will help Caravel with the hold and chat servers and stuff, they've always been pretty polite to developers.

08-27-2010 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I'm sure it's not difficult to add DRM to the game, but the real question is do you really want that?

</jtopian mode :P>

Of course, the official answer has been given a long time ago, so rather than asking the question again it's probably easier if you just look up that thread.

08-27-2010 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Having looked up both previous Steam threads, the answer seems to have been "we don't know what we'd be getting into, please someone tell us" and then nobody could, not even Banjooie.

08-27-2010 at 01:25 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: No DROD on steam? (+1)  
I did /some/ digging, it looks like it isn't a /superb/ amount of work unless you wanna add Steamworks achievements.

Mike said he'd add it to his todo list last we spoke about it.
08-27-2010 at 06:43 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jatopian wrote:
I think this would be great... two years ago when DROD was still in active development and its creator wasn't off trying to do some cell phone consumerist thing in a totally unsuitable economic climate. Now? If we get a writeup, it's going to be "Deadly Rooms of Death Is Dead; Don't Bother".
Really? Why?

The fact the next release is taking a while doesn't impact the fact that there's a trilogy of official holds and with the user-made ones, 100s of hours of game-play.

I would personally love to see this featured on Steam. Drod is niche but so was N until it got released on the Xbox (and now DS+PSP) - my mate used to laugh at me when I played "the basic version" on the pc, but bought the game (and spent many many hours on it) when "N+" came out
08-28-2010 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: No DROD on steam? (-1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Edit: Actually, ethicalspender.org is down, so I have no idea what Erik is up to these days.
And here's its demise:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Worldwide/Ethical-Spender/40388007889?filter=1

[Last edited by Syntax at 08-29-2010 08:56 AM]
08-29-2010 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : No DROD on steam?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com