Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Turn back into NPC (Opposite of Turn into Monster)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
usbdriver
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon Turn back into NPC (0)  
I know that once an NPC turns into a monster it cannot turn back into what it was. I was just wondering if it would be possible to override the Turn into Monster command and enable the monster to turn back into an NPC.???

For example; I want to make an NPC which activates an orb, then turns into a Slayer. After the room is conquered I want to make the Slayer turn back into an NPC and run out of the room screaming like a new born baby, fresh out of a vat (or do other commands).

I don't know if this is possible with the current DROD engine, but any praises or rejections are welcome. :)
03-31-2010 at 10:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Turn back into NPC (0)  
NPCs have scripts, Monsters do not.

In your example, though, I believe the orb can have a script which deletes the Slayer Monster and replaces it with a Slayer NPC...

03-31-2010 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....well, your best bet would be to have an NPC replace the slayer where it stands, yeah.
03-31-2010 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Turn back into NPC (+1)  
I'm not aware of a script that can just delete a monster, much less do so and then place an NPC there all in zero turns.

03-31-2010 at 11:11 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
With a little adjustment, this is a reasonable and useful-sounding feature request. New command: Replace Entity. Example:
Wait for event Room conquered
Replace entity Slayer at (0,0)-(37,31)

Replaces the first monster of a given type in a given rectangle with the current NPC. That is, it removes the monster from the room, sets the NPC's X and Y coordinates and orientation to what the monster's were, and makes the NPC visible. If used as a condition, tests as false if no monster of the given type was found and replaced.

03-31-2010 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I like it. Be sure it works with "None" and custom NPC arguments.

04-01-2010 at 02:11 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
Does each monster or NPC have a unique ID? When changing into a monster, could the transforming NPC keep its ID?

If so, providing the ability for an NPC to query its own ID might better enable the NPC -> monster -> NPC scenario. I suppose the ability for an NPC to duplicate itself might also be required there too.

Imagine the following longwinded scenario:

1. The variable StoredID is set to 1.

2. An NPC (with ID=1) sits in a loop. If its current ID is equal to StoredID, it enters an inner loop.

3. In the inner loop, the NPC checks whehter the conditions to turn into a monster have been met. If so, the NPC stores its ID to StoredID.

3.1. The NPC calls DuplicateSelf(x,y) to produce a double on another coordinate. This duplicate has a new ID.

3.2. The NPC immediately transforms into a monster, maintaining its same ID.

4. The duplicate NPC sits in a loop checking for the condition that will prompt ReplaceEntity.

4.1. If that condition is met, the duplicate calls ReplaceEntity. ReplaceEntity takes a MyScript variable representing StoredID to indicate which monster should be replaced with the duplicate NPC.

5. The duplicate NPC (with its new ID) goes back to step 2.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-02-2010 05:19 PM]
04-01-2010 at 02:20 AM
usbdriver
I really like this idea, and it would help create nice rooms if it ever gets implemented. Like I could have Beethro fight a horde of goblins until he has been forced to retreat on force arrows, blocking him in a small room with no exit. Then the goblins could say something like "he'll never get out, let's go". Then the goblins can turn back into NPCs/entities and exit the room via the "move to", and "disappear" commands(then Beethro gets rescued somehow).
04-02-2010 at 03:01 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
The problem with our grand ideas, though, is that we now stand the risk of making monsters unpredictable. The example that usbdriver proposed seems to me to be a big stylistic no-no. If I were playing and it seemed like I was going to get myself pinned behind a set of force arrows by a horde of goblins, I would restart the room before I crossed that line.

Like always, but even more so in this case, it would be the responsibility of the architect to creatively clue the player in to the conditions of the room.

04-02-2010 at 05:18 PM
usbdriver
RoboBob3000 wrote:
The problem with our grand ideas, though, is that we now stand the risk of making monsters unpredictable. The example that usbdriver proposed seems to me to be a big stylistic no-no. If I were playing and it seemed like I was going to get myself pinned behind a set of force arrows by a horde of goblins, I would restart the room before I crossed that line.

Like always, but even more so in this case, it would be the responsibility of the architect to creatively clue the player in to the conditions of the room.

But it would be a nice idea to be implemented in dramatic scenes. With the current turn into monster command, NPC's are already unpredictable (such as I am walking by a citizen and they turn into a slayer, and there is no chance of escape), so this new command might make monsters unpredictable, but it would be up to the hold maker to include rooms where NPC's turn into monsters, then back into NPC's. My original thought was that this command would, for example, block of access to a room because it contains hordes of monsters. Then the monsters could be programmed to turn into non aggressive NPC's that graphically look like them when the player sets a certain variable to 1 (or any other number). Other than that I have to get sleep, (even though it's 7 pm here(early)), so hopefully what I say makes sense.
04-09-2010 at 05:08 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
We've already given architects plenty of rope to do unpredictable things with in scripts. Really, keeping people from making crazy weird holds where nothing works 'like DROD' (i.e. making it clear when scripting is happening in scrolls or other clues) is a social issue, not a technical issue, at this point.

[Last edited by silver at 04-09-2010 09:25 PM]
04-09-2010 at 09:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Turn back into NPC (Opposite of Turn into Monster)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com