Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Architectural changes/bug fixes (Stuff to be aware of while designing for newer versions of DROD) This topic has been locked
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Architectural changes/bug fixes (+1)  
As changes or bug fixes are made that affect DROD game logic, which could affect room design and solutions, admins will let you know about it here.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-09-2007 10:30 PM]
06-24-2004 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
mrimer
icon DROD 1.6.5: Brain-directed movement not being reset (+1)  
See here

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-04-2006 10:54 PM]
06-24-2004 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
mrimer
icon Roach queens not spawning on checkpoints (+1)  
In 1.6.5, roach queens do not spawn on checkpoints. This is incorrect behavior and will be fixed in 1.6.6.

[Last edited by Schik at 01-04-2006 10:48 PM : Test - no content changes]
07-14-2004 at 12:35 AM
mrimer
icon Game logic bug fixes for 2.0.7 (+1)  
There are some minor game logic fixes in the 2.0.7 patch that architects should be aware of when upgrading:

Brains: now don't direct monsters toward an invisible player when a decoy (but not the player) is next to a brain.
Character: fixed rapid running with MoveTo conditional; WaitForCleanRoom script command now waits until green doors have dropped; no longer allows some commands to be executed on the last turn of Wait N commands.
Evil eye: gaze is no longer obstructed by a tunnel.
Serpents: now brained movement won't move them the wrong way off of force arrows.
Slayer: patched a close-range tactical vulnerability allowing a kill; now should never have two wisps.
Tar mother: now grows when the player is invisible and a decoy is near it; now does not grow if a monster kills it on the same turn that it would spawn.

These are effectual bug fixes and not arbitrary revisions to monster behavior. The Slayer fix should make it harder or impossible to normally slay the slayer in JtRH. Some room solutions might change slightly, but it shouldn't break any rooms (the Slayer should now be slightly more defensive, not more aggressive).

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-04-2006 10:55 PM]
05-23-2005 at 11:39 PM
mrimer
icon Game logic fix in 2.0.8 (+1)  
Bomb explosions: won't activate orbs until the entire explosion has completed. This is to prevent doors toggling in the middle of processing the different tiles an explosion covers, causing unpredictable effects.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2006 06:51 PM]
05-25-2005 at 05:29 PM
mrimer
icon Game logic fix in 2.0.10 (+1)  
Bomb explosions: Explosions are not meant to go through scenery obstacles, but up through 2.0.9 I think they do. It will be fixed in 2.0.10. I'm not sure this change would affect any published 2.0 holds. If so, anyone can point out what rooms would be affected by this fix so we can get the hold author to fix it.

Note from Oneiromancer: there is a thread in the General forum for the express purpose of discussing this, since this thread is locked.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2006 06:52 PM]
09-01-2005 at 10:17 PM
mrimer
icon Game logic fixes in 2.0.11 (+1)  
Decoyed goblins: When a goblin is targetting a decoy, it should avoid the decoy's sword just as it would avoid Beethro's sword (see this bug report).

Slayer stuck on decoy sword: The slayer's wisp should not form a path onto a decoy's sword (see this bug report).

Slayer's wisp doesn't track player on tunnel: The slayer's wisp should not be deterred from homing in on the player when the player is standing on a tunnel (see this bug report).

Decoy targetting: If two or more in-range decoys are equidistant to a monster (i.e. the same number of steps away), the monster will now choose the physically closest one (Manhattan distance) instead of the first in the monster list.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2006 06:51 PM]
11-21-2005 at 11:51 PM
mrimer
icon Game logic fixes for 2.0.13 (0)  
Currently, if a monster is standing on tar (or mud) that becomes unstable, then the tar will not be removed.
This is due to a logic bug in the code: unstable tar should only remain if a tar mother is on it. This will be fixed in 2.0.13.

NPC movement: NPCs should be allowed to move onto tunnels. This oversight will be fixed in 2.0.13.

Brain pathmapping: The tiles preplaced mimics/Halph are placed on were incorrectly being considered pathmap obstacles. Also, the tiles broken rock golems are on should no longer be considered a pathmap obstacle when the broken golem is destroyed by a bomb. See here for original bug report.

01-04-2006 at 04:54 PM
mrimer
icon Game logic fix in 2.0.14 (0)  
When an NPC is made visible with an Appear command, Face direction commands are currently executed immediately, but they should not be executed until the next turn. (To make NPCs face some direction immediately on appearing, place Face direction before the Appear command.)

03-20-2006 at 08:10 PM
mrimer
icon Game logic fixes for 2.0.15 (0)  
Seep in the open on room entrance will now die immediately (see here).

Now a Wait 0 script command halts script execution till next turn.

Evil eyes now can spot decoys when the player is invisible and outside smell range.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-09-2007 10:31 PM]
07-25-2006 at 11:55 PM
mrimer
icon Pending 3.0 change to ActivateOrb script command (0)  
There was a room editor flaw (patched in 2.0.15) that allows the architect to place fake orb data in a room. In 2.0, scripts may invoke Activate Orb on tiles with phantom orb data to expend a turn to make an orb flash on this tile. In 3.0, the Activate Orb script command will be ignored if it's invoked on a tile without a valid room object really located there. This will make these script commands not take a turn to execute.

This has broken at least one user-made room, where one script depends on another scripted NPC to be at a certain room location at a certain time, but they aren't there when running under 3.0. I'd recommend removing these scripting exploits, but they can also be repaired by making scripts robust to this change. In this case, it would mean adding a Wait until turn <the expected number of turns> command so the game will wait until it thinks the orbs have all been hit (one per turn), even if they aren't in 3.0.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-09-2007 10:31 PM]
09-11-2006 at 06:49 PM
mrimer
icon Pending 3.0 change to black gates in tarless rooms (0)  
When a black gate is placed in a room without any tarstuff, it disappears right away on entrance. However, in 3.0, black gates in this setup will reappear if new tarstuff is formed sometime later in the room. (This could happen, for instance, if a room is built with a mother but no tar underneath. After 30 turns, tar would get spawned. Another situation is if tarstuff is destroyed immediately on room entrance.) The black gates will reopen, of course, when the grown tarstuff is cleared.

We've checked published rooms. This change could affect a relatively small number rooms, but we don't think any rooms will be broken by this change. Architects are welcome to update published holds in the event this 3.0 change would affect room solutions.

03-11-2007 at 03:24 AM
mrimer
icon 3.0.2 / 3.1 game logic changes (from 3.0.0) (+1)  
Mirrors: Pushing a mirror onto a sword point now breaks it.
Briar: now doesn't expand against force arrows it is on top of.
Stalwarts: can now backstab adjacent monsters.
Halph and Slayer: now also search for pressure plates to depress to open doors.
Tarstuff gates: are now toggled immediately whenever tarstuff is removed, instead of waiting until after monster movement or after all room events (e.g. briar growth, bomb explosions) are processed.
Bombs: If on a force arrow, won't explode against the direction of the arrow.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-18-2007 04:39 PM]
04-27-2007 at 09:15 PM
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Architectural changes/bug fixes (Stuff to be aware of while designing for newer versions of DROD) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com