Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (Which one?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which one?
Lewis and Clark Prelude
Beethroes Tale
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged

File: Downloads.zip (22 KB)
Downloaded 91 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (0)  
Ok, let's try it again, only without me screwing up this time eh?

Ok, here's the testament of fortitude that still tried to jump my very high bar. One, yes, you will find very bemusing, however, it is painless, and it might just possibly be Banjooie's favourite level set of all time. Shouldn't take you too long to judge the entries.

Both entrants, feel free to vote for whatever you want. Just don't go creating dummy accounts. As amusing and sophist that was, nefarious plots will not be encouraged.

Here is the additional text for the Lewis and Clark Prelude:
Click here to view the secret text

Voting Criteria:
The voting for this contest will be two fold, although the criteria will be much the same. The voter will vote on the telling of the history/myth. Accuracy will be paramount, entrants should be strongly penalised for making factual errors without a good reason. How entertaining the historical/mythical element of the level set is what you should vote on. Even if a voter has just happened to have studied that particular thing for their PHD, even though you cannot surprise them with twists, weird facts or any other tricks, your interpretation of the tale should be intriguing enough to make it entertaining, in much the same way that people who read the book watch the movie.

As for the game play/design, that too should be judged by how entertaining it is, and also how seamlessly the history/myth integrates into it. Does it go gameplay gameplay gameplay CUTSCENE gameplay gameplay gameplay, or is it a smooth tasty blend like they advertise on TV?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-08-2009 12:37 AM]
10-08-2009 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (0)  
Thanks for the fix... :thumbsup

10-08-2009 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Connoraustin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (0)  
You do realise, don't you that 'Beethroes Tale' is both a rip-off of Tendry's tale, and also just one of Minimike's twisted-spelling-filled, twitchingly easy level sets. I'm sorry, but with 5 or 6 of these, Minimike should definately figure out that he should be working on each one at a time rather that loads at once.

The other one is great of what I have seen of it, unfortunately I have had only about 10 mins for DROD so far. Just shows really how easy that set was that I could finish it in about 10 mins and still have enough time to start off the 'proper' set and post this ridiculously long comment. Anyway Connoraustin signing out.

10-14-2009 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
GigaClon
Rank Points: 21
MiniMike is prolly a hyperactive 12 year old based on some of his posts (My fav is the Runescape Drod) Yeah I voted for the Lewis and Clark unplayed because it has to be better than minimike. Dude needs spell check.

The other one is ok. It needs some proofreading and the conversation with the president needs better breaks between the lines.

[Last edited by GigaClon at 10-14-2009 11:23 PM]
10-14-2009 at 10:13 PM
techant
GigaClon wrote:
The other one is ok. It needs some proofreading and the conversation with the president needs better breaks between the lines.

Thanks for the recommendations. Could you be so kind as to PM the breaks you thought would be better, I am always looking to improve. I tried to break the speech for better readability if I didn't get there I like some help getting there, thanks again. Were you meaning there was not enough time between lines?

[Last edited by techant at 10-15-2009 06:09 AM]
10-15-2009 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
GigaClon
techant wrote:
GigaClon wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations. Could you be so kind as to PM the breaks you thought would be better, I am always looking to improve. I tried to break the speech for better readability if I didn't get there I like some help getting there, thanks again. Were you meaning there was not enough time between lines?
It would be better if you put on sentence or clause per command it was very jolting to read half the sentence stop then continue the sentence. For example, use "I have had roast beef sandwiches made", "We both enjoy them". One good tip is to say them aloud with a second pause between them. If it sounds weird the break is in the wrong place.

[Last edited by GigaClon at 10-15-2009 09:29 PM]
10-15-2009 at 09:28 PM
techant
Thanks for the suggestion, I did try to do that, I will try harder next time.

[Last edited by techant at 10-16-2009 09:35 AM]
10-16-2009 at 09:34 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (+5)  
Wait, I'm sorry. I know I've been away for a few weeks. But the contest was to create "a DROD RPG hold depicting a historical event and/or cultural myth". Setting aside the abysmal spelling and utter pointlessness of minimike's hold, setting aside even the thoroughly nonsensical question "What fraction isent the same? 1/2 1/3 5/7", his hold in no way depicts a historical event and/or cultural myth. Heck, he even asked if he could just "make a hold teaching you like maths" and was told that, no, the hold had to tell a tale and be historical/mythical.

I mean, does the fact that his submission appears in the poll mean that if I'd submitted a photo of my cats, which is also not in any way a DROD RPG hold depicting etc. etc., I would also be eligible for a prize (as well as credit for entering the contest)?

Even though it would reduce the contest to a single entrant, I hereby suggest that minimike's entry be outright disqualified. No prize, no credit--because, quite simply, not an entry.

EDIT: I'd also like to know how exactly his hold managed to get three votes. Unless two people clicked on the wrong button by accident, I'm also going to quite explicitly state that I believe minimike cheated by registering separate accounts to vote for himself two more times, because no one in his right mind could possibly, possibly have thought that his hold was in any way whatsoever better than Techant's.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 10-18-2009 07:51 AM]
10-18-2009 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
Just play through the entries. Lewis and Clark Prelude was a nice little hold, and just what was asked for. However, it was possilbe to lose the blue key, and not be able to get aniother. That was annoying.

The other hold was simply terrilbe. Not only was it not fitting the guidelines, but some of the qeustions made no sense. 3/6 + 8/16 (1/2 + 1/2), does not equal 1H, whatever that means. I agree that this should be disqualifed. It didn't follw the rules, and thus should not be allowed.

And Tahnan, you of all people should know Minimike couldn't come up with a way to cheat like you said. He can't even use English in any recognisable form. And I don't trust his Maths either.

10-18-2009 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Tahnan wrote:
I mean, does the fact that his submission appears in the poll mean that if I'd submitted a photo of my cats, which is also not in any way a DROD RPG hold depicting etc. etc., I would also be eligible for a prize (as well as credit for entering the contest)?
It's worse than that -- if you'd submitted a photo of your cats you would receive an automatic third prize, which I believe is 25 points, for being the third-best entry. Considering how many thoughtful, helpful and insightful forum posts that equals -- I'm with you and hyperme, we can't allow this to happen. (Not least because it would make a lot of us royally pissed off that we didn't think of submitting photos of our cats before the deadline.)

10-18-2009 at 03:23 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
In the contest announcement thread I suggested splitting 150 points according to the number of votes. As it stands now, using this system would award (25/28)*150=134 points to 'Lewis and Clark Prelude' and (3/28)*150=16 points to 'Beethroes Tale'.

In any case, I think it is time to close the poll and hopefully get a quick October contest going before November arrives.
10-18-2009 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
That would give minimike98 17x the amount of rank he currently has. I dunno, there should be some correspondence there. I don't feel this hold represents seventeenfold improvement from mimimike98.

Let's just give techant first prize and move on.

10-18-2009 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Thanks for all the imput, and I never thought to include a photo of Capt. Clarks cat, Oh yeah don't think he had one, but as big and empty as the whitehouse was there were likely some romping around that place catching mice. Oh yeah, no outside photos allowed.

Sorry about the blue key issue, it was not my intendtion, the goal was to get you to find the President and then be able to leave, sorry that this frustrated you.

10-19-2009 at 09:18 AM
GigaClon
I didn't have any problem with the blue key, there were lots of places to use the key and there was only useful place to use it.
10-19-2009 at 09:49 PM
techant
icon Re: Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (+3)  
GigaClon wrote:
I didn't have any problem with the blue key, there were lots of places to use the key and there was only useful place to use it.

Yes, now I see that was because when I had the windows as pits it didn't work and neither did any other element I tried. I resorted to the blue as curtains idea which I see failed badly. My only excuse, if it is one at all, was that the rules allowed for the limitations the game itself might impose on the story telling. This was one limitation in RPG their were just few elements to choose from. Again sorry for the confusion. :blush

======================== THANK YOU NiroZ =======================

I must say just one more thing...Thank you for this contest idea. I really learned a great deal more about this part of American history then I ever knew before. For those who did not have enough time to join in this contest you missed a great challenge to explore history. I discovered with today's internet I could view scan of the original writings and drawing of both Jefferson and Lewis. The real prize I gained was the wealth of knowledge I gain during my research, at the least it has opened my eyes to what I can now learn from my own home. I have continued to do more research about this very interesting time period.

Here are some links you might find interesting as well:
Discovering Lewis & Clark : Technology [check out the air gun]
http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-channel.asp?ChannelID=61

Or check out how many time Jefferson avoided traveling out of America: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/jefferson_papers/mtjtime3c.html

And how about a chance to view an actual map drawn with annotations in brown ink by Meriwether Lewis:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/gmd:@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g4126s+ct000071%29%29

This does not even include the strange and wonderful fact about the "Whitehouse" that became part of my research as I developed the actual game play.

I had some of an interest in history before I started this contest but this contest made me fall in love with history all over again. Currently I am reading the writings of Samuel Adams at google books, where I can read a digital version for free.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VIAIh19af84C&pg=PA389&lpg=PA389&dq=samuel+adams+writings+1772&source=bl&ots=X0P_EPL9ro&sig=_98xHjK-ghWkICAJugDe7xRCxzg&hl=en&ei=wqzeSteVFY6-sgPs-rTiDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=vice&f=true

Thank you NiroZ for this great contest experience!! :thumbsup

[Last edited by techant at 10-21-2009 09:03 AM]
10-21-2009 at 08:40 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Ok, lets try again. DROD RPG does the discovery channel quickie vote (Which one?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com