Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Make Custom Music more like Custom Room Styles
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon Make Custom Music more like Custom Room Styles (+4)  
Today the Rabbit is a little annoyed by the whopping huge hold file sizes that result when architects add custom music files to their holds. (Annoyed by the file sizes, not by the architects.) I was wondering if this could be avoided by making custom music work more like custom room styles.

I like the way custom room styles work now. For example, I like the Sandstone room style, so I downloaded the dmf file, and installed it in my DROD via the Manage Styles button in the editor. When an architect builds a room in the Sandstone style, I see the room in Sandstone style because I have that style installed. A player who doesn't have Sandstone installed will see the default City style. I like not having to re-download and re-import the Sandstone style every time an architect uses it. I like being able to choose whether or not I install a custom style.

If an architect wants me to listen to custom music when playing a hold, it seems they have to import the whole whopping huge .ogg file into their hold. Then when I import the hold, that whole whopping huge .ogg file goes into my .dats. And heaven forbid if I happen to be testing the hold and import multiple versions of it, as then I end up with multiple copies of the same whopping huge .ogg file in my .dats (as verified with Stefan's MetaKitExtract tool). I will also get multiple copies of that whopping huge .ogg file in my .dats if another architect decides to use the music in their hold.

It would be so much nicer for me (and for you too, I think) if we could choose what music to install in DROD via a Manage Music button in the Editor. Just like the Manage Styles button. When an architect uses the "Set music" command, they would choose from a drop-down list of installed music instead of importing a whopping huge .ogg file into their hold. When I play the hold, if I have that music installed, I'd hear it; otherwise maybe I'd hear some default City music.

Click here to view the secret text

08-25-2009 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
icon Re: Make Custom Music more like Custom Room Styles (0)  
I'm using a lot of music in one of my holds. Mostly AE music. So I guess it would be a huge file.
08-25-2009 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
This feature request is good feature request.

08-29-2009 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
I completely agree with Jatopian.

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 05-06-2012 10:02 AM]
09-01-2009 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Make Custom Music more like Custom Room Styles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com