Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The great stalwart war (Another one of my holds.)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+3)  
Hold Description:
Click here to view the secret text

Out from the beneath.: (periods look silly in level names)

08-12-2009 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+2)  
In Path to Tueno: Twice South, Thrice East the scripting appears to be messed up. Beethro dies after his first move. Arceano never appears. I createrd a new player file and played up to this room. It still happened.

In The Speed Potion Factory: Once North Quarce West it is easy to get past the force arrow and go to the room to the east. No goblins needed.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
08-12-2009 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
bdwing wrote:
In Path to Tueno: Twice South, Thrice East the scripting appears to be messed up. Beethro dies after his first move. Arceano never appears. I createrd a new player file and played up to this room. It still happened.

The stalwart enters after 7 turns, whoops. I guess I was exited to tyr out the new death system. How do you guys like it? Give mx a couple of mods if you do.

In The Speed Potion Factory: Once North Quarce West it is easy to get past the force arrow and go to the room to the east. No goblins needed.

Must of missed that when I was changing the stairs.

Fixed on first post.

EDIT: CSR's problems fixed. Forgot to mention.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-13-2009 12:19 PM]
08-13-2009 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I've played hold from the beginning to the end of Kabulian fortress and found a couple of things I haven't mentioned before(oh, and wrote comments for Kabulian fortress):

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-14-2009 07:31 PM : typos]
08-13-2009 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (0)  
The path to Tueno level has multiple issues with scripting.

1. Now that you've changed Arceano into a critical hero using the "death-ocorr" and "death-occori" characters, you have a whole bunch of useless scripts left lying around. You don't need the "stalwart" variable, and in most rooms you can have Arceano be a real stalwart rather than a character who turns into a monster.

2. You have "borrowed" Chaco's Fireballs script for the "Contime" monsters in 2S4W. That's fine, because he did say people could use it, but Chaco prefers that you credit him as the author of that script.

3. When you add a new variable to your hold, you should let your testers know which room they need to start replaying from.

Recently, you added:
End on room exit
Set var House = 1
to The path to Tueno: The Entrance, and
Wait until var House = 1
to The path to Tueno 1S1W. A tester who restores to changed rooms in the middle of the level will have a savegame where the "set var House = 1" command never executed, and will thus never be able to get into the House, and will not be able to exit the level. A tester who restarts and plays the level again from the beginning will not have this problem. You need to let people know, so they don't waste their valuable time trying to figure out why your hold suddenly seems broken.

Other comments on The path to Tueno level:

My summer vacation ended, and now I have a full time job to attend to. So less time to comment on holds than before. I haven't had time to fully replay the Out from beneath level, but it looks like I'll have to repeat many of my old comments. You are most very welcome to recheck the level yourself and save me some time. :)
08-14-2009 at 08:24 AM
Chaosgamer
I got the script from the free scripts thread. The hide-ou I mean house is still required because the variable is removed, I never liked the idea of the variable anyways. The unintended solution is now completely fixed.

1N 5W: I was supposed to make a special level called "kill the 'Neather, but one of the users told me not to use the 'Neather because it requires special elements and expects certain things. So I decided to not do it. But as far as I got in building that level, it involved puzzles where you needed to kill the 'Neather with bombs or adders or hot tiles. But it seems that that if the 'Neather is in certain rooms like the entrance of each level, 1N, 1N 1W the 'Neather will actually do something. So I decided to not have the 'Neather, but I'm thinking of putting that level back.

mxvladi's things are fixed to. Kabulian fortress now has more checkpoints and I also added more checkpoints to deep Kabulian. And some other issues with kabulian and deep kabulian like 1N 1W and 1N 1E of both levels. I replaced the power tokens to prevent the unintendid solution.
08-14-2009 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+1)  
You made Kabulian fortress 1N 1W impossible. Please put power token on force arrow or put goblin a little farther from power tokens.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-14-2009 07:44 PM]
08-14-2009 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Chaosgamer wrote:
I got the script from the free scripts thread.
That doesn't mean that you shouldn't give credit where credit is due.
08-14-2009 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Someone Else wrote:
Chaosgamer wrote:
I got the script from the free scripts thread.
That doesn't mean that you shouldn't give credit where credit is due.

I am going to give credit.
08-15-2009 at 12:27 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I looked back over the first level.

Hold description:

Out from the beneath:

08-16-2009 at 08:58 AM
bdwing

File: drod.err (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Public Domain
In the speed potion factory 3S6W there seems to be a problem with undo and the scripting. I am used to using the backspace key to undo the last move. Doing so here causes strange effects. Beethro is stabbed by Arceano. A tar baby is right on top of Beethro. Beethro and Arceano are where they were the last time the checkpoint was used.

A drod.err file is generated when I try to undo in this room. Hopefully this will help to figure out the problem.

08-16-2009 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
I already looked at the first level for stuff. A newer vrsion would have been up but I was doing a quick check in kabulian and deep kabulian. But you did find stuff that I didn't. By the way, the tar mud secret room is changed. I hope you enjoy the new mud section ;)

And can someone tell me how to work the .err file? I really have no clue what's the use for it.

EDIT: new version is up on first post.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-16-2009 02:58 PM]
08-16-2009 at 02:57 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
I looked back over the first level again.

Hold description:

Out from the beneath:

Getting closer... :)
08-17-2009 at 10:40 AM
Chaosgamer
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:

2E - There's a backtracking problem here. It's possible to run through 1E without conquering it. If the player then conquers 2E, and exits north, it's impossible to traverse 2E again to get back to 1E. Some of your gel blobs are not cuttable from the other side. We need to be able to use the tunnels after the room is conquered.

:facepalm: Fixed
08-20-2009 at 03:42 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
The hold description still contains the same errors as before.

Out from the beneath:

The path to Tueno:

The path to Tueno 2S3E is impossible in the current version (starting over and replaying the hold from scratch). You need to delete the first line of Arceano's script. This is where I stopped playing.
08-23-2009 at 12:09 AM
bdwing
CSR, are you sure you have the most recent version?

P2T:2S3E used to be a problem but it works fine now. The version I downloaded tonight (uploaded on Aug. 20th) is playable.

This might also be why the other errors mentioned in your post are still there (although I didn't check those so I can't be sure).

08-23-2009 at 12:30 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
bdwing wrote:
CSR, are you sure you have the most recent version?
Yes, I am playing the most recent version. The most recent version is playable if you restore to a previous save (before Chaos deleted the variable called "stalwart"). It is impossible if you start a New Game from the beginning, where only the variables in the current version of the hold are defined and modified. Because Chaos keeps adding and removing variables from this hold, testers need to replay from the beginning each time. Replaying from the beginning ensures that all current script commands that affect variables execute, and that only the current script commands have been executed in your savegame.

In The path to Tueno 2S3E, Arceano's script is this:
Wait until var "?" = 2
Wait 6
Appear 
Turn into monster 
End

If a player is playing a New Game, starting from the beginning, that undefined var "?" is never going to be 2, so Arceano will never appear, and the script that kills the critical hero is going to fire on turn 7.
08-24-2009 at 01:47 AM
bdwing
My bad. You are right.

:selftwak

08-24-2009 at 06:13 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
No worries - I just wanted to be sure Chaos understands he needs to fix it. :)
08-24-2009 at 07:11 AM
Chaosgamer
:facepalm:

Fixed. Can't believe I did that.
08-24-2009 at 03:02 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+3)  
I've gone back over the first two levels again.

Out from the beneath:

The path to Tueno:

I'll note that this hold file has a very large unwieldy size. I looked into the size problem and found this is because you included "the way down.ogg" and "waiting.ogg" in the hold file. Since you never play this music during the hold, these large music files can be deleted. My computer and I would appreciate it if you would delete both of them. :)
08-25-2009 at 04:48 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Kabulian fortress is possibly my very favorite level in this hold. The statues have plenty of puzzle potential, and they work logically. It was fun figuring out how to use them best. :)

08-25-2009 at 07:07 AM
Chaosgamer
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Kabulian fortress is possibly my very favorite level in this hold. The statues have plenty of puzzle potential, and they work logically. It was fun figuring out how to use them best. :)
:D
1W - A simple and fun introductory room showcasing several properties of statues. A scroll explaining the additional scripting would be nice. How about "Don't kill any monsters with your hook."
I put a real mimic instead of a character, I replaced the golems with roaches so I can put pressure plates under them that will open doors to the orb that opens the door to the mimic.
1N1E - Why does the scroll direct me not to push the citizen? I think this is the only way to solve the room, which is a pretty straightforward snake trapping problem.
*joke* anyways, removed.
2N1E - This tarstuff cutting room was a little less interesting and more tedious than its western counterpart. Would it still work if you left out the tar and mud blobs? I do like the idea of solving part of the room disarmed and the rest armed. This room needs a vision token. And a scroll explaining the additional scripting would be nice.
Like the other room, I put a real mimic and an orb that allows the mimic to kill the roach behind a tarstuff door.

PS: I also did the same thing to deep kabulian because there almost the same thing.

I made other changes to.

New version on first post.

08-25-2009 at 03:23 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I've gone back over the first two levels again.

Out from the beneath:

The path to Tueno:

I'll note that this hold file has a very large unwieldy size. I looked into the size problem and found this is because you included "the way down.ogg" and "waiting.ogg" in the hold file. Since you never play this music during the hold, these large music files can be deleted. My computer and I would appreciate it if you would delete both of them. :)
Quoted for truth. All these still haven't been addressed. Will I never be done with the first two levels? :(

Kabulian fortress

08-27-2009 at 05:10 AM
Chaosgamer
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
1N2W - I can solve this room with only 4 mimic statues instead of the 8 provided. Can you? :P

I can do it with 2 ;)

Mostly I remember fixing all of that. Anyways, new version on first post.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-28-2009 03:07 PM]
08-28-2009 at 03:06 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Thank you so much for removing all those bulky music files. :)

Hold description:

Out from the beneath:
2E - The backtracking problem is finally fixed. :)

The path to Tueno:

08-29-2009 at 06:39 AM
Chaosgamer
Fixed.

New version on first post. (like always)
08-29-2009 at 05:23 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Hold description

The path to Tueno

Kabulian Fortress

Terra Vista and Deep Terra Vista

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 08-30-2009 12:28 AM]
08-30-2009 at 12:02 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Deep Kabulian Fortress

08-30-2009 at 08:20 AM
Chaosgamer
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Hold description

I deleted the extras

The path to Tueno
Bye bye secret room

Kabulian Fortress
No I can not.

Deep kabulian is much different.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-31-2009 02:29 PM]
08-31-2009 at 02:28 PM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The great stalwart war (Another one of my holds.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com