Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I just figured out why DROD has slumped.
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
IP: Logged
icon Re: I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (0)  
Sell a plastic card that costs twenty bucks in stores, get the people to buy the cards, use a penny to scratch of the metallic foil on the back, go to Caravel's secure server, input their purchased code, and voila! A download link to the purchased hold...

06-15-2009 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (+1)  
zwetschenwasser wrote:
Sell a plastic card that costs twenty bucks in stores, get the people to buy the cards, use a penny to scratch of the metallic foil on the back, go to Caravel's secure server, input their purchased code, and voila! A download link to the purchased hold...
WoW... just WoW... :P

06-15-2009 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
zwetschenwasser wrote:
]
NIIIIIIIICE!
06-15-2009 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Briareos wrote:
zwetschenwasser wrote:
WoW... just WoW... :P

Adventurequest is a better analogy. They sell guardianship cards for a one-time payment, not a monthly subscription fee.

06-15-2009 at 08:37 PM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
That's a bit much for a game they never heard of. I'm betting that 90% of DROD players started with either AE or a demo.

06-16-2009 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
Snacko wrote:
That's a bit much for a game they never heard of. I'm betting that 90% of DROD players started with either AE or a demo.
Well, not me. I started with full version of JRH found in one of shops here.
06-16-2009 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
I started with a link I found on www.sillysoft.net.

06-17-2009 at 02:48 AM
Knaight
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I think I did too. It looks familiar. Plus I also have Lugaru, and demos of Pax Galaxia, Titan Attacks, and Ricochet, which are all on the web site. And Laser Dolphin, but I found that elsewhere. Owning 5 out of 13 obscure games isn't all that probable otherwise.
07-08-2009 at 02:30 PM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
House of the Underdogs is alive again and all ratings have been cleared. Why not give DROD a nice bump upwards to the #1 spot in puzzle category it so rightfully deserves? It may attract new members - I discovered DROD through there.

07-08-2009 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
neveragain
Rank Points: 23
One reason for the slump might be the TCB official hold.

I had played all of KDD and most of JTRH before playing TCB, and I found Quest for Knowledge and The Uncturage to be really tough levels.

In later levels, I needed the H&S board several times (50+) to complete the hold.

If I've completed KDD and I have trouble with the levels, what's a new player going to think?

07-10-2009 at 12:02 AM
Snacko
That there are plenty of easier levels to play readily available?

07-10-2009 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
neveragain
Rank Points: 23
Snacko wrote:
That there are plenty of easier levels to play readily available?

A player won't know there are easier holds avaliable unless they visit the forum. And they might not.
07-10-2009 at 01:54 AM
Knaight
Rank Points: 18
They can pick up Journey to Rooted hold instead. Its easier than King Dugans dungeon at the beggining, although it gets tougher by the end, and you can transition from it to city beneath easily. After playing JRtH a lot TCB had really easy early levels. The uncturage and deep uncturage in particular were easy, quest for knowledge was a joke. It got harder, but JRtH does prep you for it. The TCB description says that it isn't for new players.
07-10-2009 at 04:16 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
The problem is that they will want TCB so they can get the new holds, so we're asking them to pay... what is it, $9 more? or $20?

07-10-2009 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Last I checked, the demo versions were free. Unless you're referring to something else that I didn't catch there.

07-10-2009 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
That they're paying for the JtRH engine because we don't sell the hold separately?

07-10-2009 at 05:40 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Jatopian wrote:
That they're paying for the JtRH engine because we don't sell the hold separately?
The engine is free. The hold is just bundled with a copy of it.
07-10-2009 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Okay, I understand now. Knaight said that JtRH was a good intro to TCB (Which neveragain already claimed was mostly not the case). Jatopian said that doing this would cost them extra, as they'd have to buy JtRH in addition to TCB.

Perhaps there could be a package deal--we do have quite a bit of canon lying around, and at $9 a pop, the price can add up. There's really no production cost either (that is, the marginal cost is zero to produce a link to the download).

There are 12 Smitemaster's Selections. This would cost $108. Perhaps a bundle could be offered of all of the holds for $50.

Additionally, when buying TCB, an offer could be made for the JtRH download for half price.

Of course, I'm no marketer. I just see a potential way to reduce the overall costs to people who really want to get involved in DROD--not to make them interested in the first place.

07-10-2009 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (+1)  
zex20913 wrote:
There are 12 Smitemaster's Selections. This would cost $108. Perhaps a bundle could be offered of all of the holds for $50.
That's not quite correct. There are 12 SmS holds. The SmS packages cost $9.00 each, and there's 6 of them, which adds up to a total of $54.00
07-10-2009 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
zex20913 wrote:
Perhaps there could be a package deal--
When there will be a package deal where you buy all SmS'es, JTRH, RPG and New KDD you can count on me being one of the first customers (as long as I can use paypal).

07-10-2009 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
skell wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
When there will be a package deal where you buy all SmS'es, JTRH, RPG and New KDD you can count on me being one of the first customers (as long as I can use paypal).
I'm no official source, but you might definitely be able to barter with, say, Mike for a discount if you buy a lot at a time. Also note that KDD2.0 is also an SMS hold; you do not actually need to buy the separate engine (which has always confused me somewhat).
07-12-2009 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
The only ways DROD gets it's name out is through low traffic sites and word of mouth(That's how I started). Prices won't make a difference unless you have a audience, and right now anyone who HAS discovered DROD for themselves has downloaded AE, and if they liked it, they got JTRH or TCB. This system works fine for the amount of newcomers we get, and it would secure them for future purchases.

Now, if there is a influx of newcomers, there will be some that go the previously stated route, but some will just go and buy TCB, without any previous knowledge of the series. Those people will more then likly be turned off by DROD for reasons such as difficulty, the story, or the controls; they will more then likely not buy another DROD game again.

So if DROD gets it's name out there and we get loads of newcomers, what do we do? Since there is virtually no work to sell older DROD games, give them deep discounts, less money will be made then if you kept it full price, but you will draw in more customers, which in turn will increase the sales of newer games.
edit: If they get to cheap, just package them togeter.
/end2cents

[Last edited by Bobpie at 07-13-2009 03:11 PM]
07-13-2009 at 03:09 PM
Snacko
How about we do something like we did KDD 2.0, but use the TCB engine, the KDD 1.0 hold and release it for free? Sort of like an AE 3.0, a lot of people can't get used to the fact that you get most of the game's content with a demo, and I know a number of other people don't like feeling that they're playing an incomplete version.

This way we give them the same content but it won't be a demo.

07-14-2009 at 01:18 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
Snacko wrote:
How about we do something like we did KDD 2.0, but use the TCB engine, the KDD 1.0 hold and release it for free? Sort of like an AE 3.0, a lot of people can't get used to the fact that you get most of the game's content with a demo, and I know a number of other people don't like feeling that they're playing an incomplete version.

This way we give them the same content but it won't be a demo.

Honestly, at this point you need a harder pitch than that. I would consider releasing KDD 2.0 for free.
07-14-2009 at 02:03 AM
Snacko
Still, I think people should have access to the 3.0 engine outside of a demo.

Maybe KDD2.0 in 3.0?

07-14-2009 at 06:30 AM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
The problem is that you'll have to include all the other dungeon styles into the free release. I don't know about others, but having only the City style did motivate me to buy the full game (mainly because it is relatively ugly style).

I propose to change the Caravel's games page layout. First should go the explanation of all the available versions (and a note in what order new players should play DROD games), then free versions (so people wouldn't miss them), then JtRH and TCB, then the smitemaster selections and CaravelNet. The less newcomers are traumatized with TCB, the better. Also, it might be beneficial to move DROD and DROD RPG to separate pages, to keep things clear and untangled.

Just my 2e-2$.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 07-14-2009 07:30 AM]
07-14-2009 at 07:29 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Maybe the problem is that TCB is apparently traumatizing?
07-14-2009 at 08:38 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
skell wrote:
zex20913 wrote:
Caravel is thinking of, once the next game and TSS are released, to begin work on producing a full compendium of all the SmSes, and maybe including some of the earlier games, fan styles, etc. We'd want to do a good job on this, and we'll most likely wait until we reach that point to pin down details.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-16-2009 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Banjooie wrote:
Maybe the problem is that TCB is apparently traumatizing?
Ugh. Hopefully, our next game won't be so, uh, traumatizing...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-16-2009 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tablesaw
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
icon Re: I just figured out why DROD has slumped. (+2)  
I've been brought back into the DROD addiction by the recent half-price deal, so that was good.

It occurs to me that it might be better to focus on rehabilitating the the way holds are managed, in addition to aggressively selling the

In a sense, the holds page are hundreds of free games that can be played just by downloading a free demo. That's something that should be way out in front, rather than hidden deep in the boards. That's a huge amount of value to entice people to download the demo. And once they've got the demo, then they'll eventually be drawn into buying some of the premiere holds.

Redesign the holds page, for one. Put it up on the front pages. Maybe start up a blog or something highlighting and advertising new and old holds for people who haven't played the game yet.

07-16-2009 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I just figured out why DROD has slumped.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com