Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Limited Room Contest (Our (very late) contest for March.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (0)  
Nuntar, due to this bug, my entry will be impossible if I have the end hold staircase in the actual room. I don't think I'll find a way to get around this bug before the contest is over. So can I, please, have two rooms in my entry. To get the entry to work I need to set the intended end staircase to go to a completely empty room where the hold is ended. (The empty room can be removed when the end staircase goes back to the hub in the compilation hold instead of trying to end the hold).

03-28-2009 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
No problem -- I don't want to miss out on seeing your submission just because of a bug!

03-28-2009 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Actually, I've got a rather last-minute question.

How do I "remove the REP variable"? I haven't actually used it for anything, but it still shows up as a valid stat for Tendry in my hold.

03-31-2009 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
No, don't set MonsterREPMult; the compilation hold will take care of that automatically. Rule 4 doesn't say "remove the REP variable" but simply "do not use the REP variable". There's nothing you have to do, just something you have to not do.

03-31-2009 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Nuntar wrote:
No, don't set MonsterREPMult; the compilation hold will take care of that automatically. Rule 4 doesn't say "remove the REP variable" but simply "do not use the REP variable". There's nothing you have to do, just something you have to not do.
What if you already did? Setting the REP variable to zero after already setting the REP variable to zero isn't going to change anything. Although including both commands is a bit redundant, I don't see how it would do anything bad.

Still, we should remove the REP for the sake of non-redundancy.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-31-2009 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Limited Room Contest (+3)  
I'd just like to drop my spare £0.02 here about the contest, if I can.

It's not to say that the voting itself is bad; it's just that I dislike the way the entries have been compiled into a single hold in an attempt to make it more convenient. It's a nice idea, but it first wasn't made clear initially that this was how the entries would be presented for voting, and secondly, it has introduced various bugs that have affected the solvability or gameplay of the entries.

I don't know how many votes have already been cast, but I am unhappy that these votes may have been affected by accidentally-introduced bugs, especially if they are not incredibly obvious and may in the end not be discovered. It is probably too late to ask for a re-vote, since this is unlikely to change the impressions or opinion of anyone who has already voted, but I would advise that next time, entries should be presented as submitted; i.e. as individual holds.

Compilation can be done later, once the contest has concluded. This has always been the case; why should this contest be any different?

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-02-2009 09:12 PM]
04-02-2009 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Limited Room Contest (Our (very late) contest for March.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com