Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : NPC Behaviour 'Fight Other NPCs'
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon NPC Behaviour 'Fight Other NPCs' (0)  
Alright, so I heard that suggestion before, but I'd like to make it again. That behaviour would make NPCs fight when they make contact similar to when a NPC bumps into the player. The NPC who 'wins' will stay alive and keep on with its script, and the other dies in a splat of blood/tarstuff/rock bits.

How's that?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-17-2009 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: NPC Behaviour 'Fight Other NPCs' (0)  
I don't think that the loser should necessarily die. You may want people to fight for a bit, and then be broken up.
03-18-2009 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: NPC Behaviour 'Fight Other NPCs' (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
I don't think that the loser should necessarily die. You may want people to fight for a bit, and then be broken up.

...Tendry can't break up his own fights, right?

03-18-2009 at 12:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: NPC Behaviour 'Fight Other NPCs' (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
There is a Wait for defeat command. You could also use Each defend and then check HP (and I think there's several commands you could use at that point to end the battle prematurely).

The only reason I see the need to stop it mid battle would be for a story battle. And, yes, though the requested feature would make it much easier to create a story battle, those can already be scripted (with a Cutscene, some Game effects, and using Set var on _MyHP). Actually, other than small coordination issues you may face at the beginning and end, it's really not too difficult; it's just upper-level story scripting.

I think the most important thing the feature would offer is being able to have a Character (possibly running a Default Script) be able to fight other such enemies. Currently, that's very difficult to simulate.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-18-2009 08:54 PM]
03-18-2009 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : NPC Behaviour 'Fight Other NPCs'
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com