Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Altered Screenshots
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (0)  
I think he is.. I haven't counted exactly, but note that line 3 is a very long line which is word-wrapped. Column counter wouldn't change with word wrap.
02-26-2009 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+1)  
lopsidation wrote:
If Line: 3 Col: 493 means what I think it means, you're definitely not in column 493.
I will reveal it because I feel like I (almost) killed this game for no good reason and someone else needs to have a go.

I changed the Col:XXX number. The cursor is in 523 or so column, thirty more than in the screenshot. There.

02-26-2009 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176

File: impossiblehero.png (20.2 KB)
Downloaded 829 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, here's the new screenshot. It's from MESH: Hero Defiant, a stepping game quite similar to DROD.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by lopsidation at 02-28-2009 04:18 PM]
02-28-2009 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
lopsidation wrote:
Okay, here's the new screenshot. It's from MESH: Hero Defiant, a stepping game quite similar to DROD.
I've never played this game before, but that coordinate looks very suspicious. Shouldn't it be (15,11)?

02-28-2009 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I thought it should be 16,12.

If we're counting by ones that is.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
02-28-2009 at 04:49 PM
lopsidation
The dead hero you see is indeed at (16,12), but that's not what clinches it. Hint: If the screenshot said (14,8), this would be entirely possible.

02-28-2009 at 06:54 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
By looking at the interface, here's what I gather:
The "2" is a move counter for the room ("lynchpin"?), and the "61" is a move counter for something larger, perhaps a level set ("Lokito"?). The arrows between these must represent your moves as an undo history.

I notice how (14,8) is the mirror opposite of (16,12) in a 30x20 room. I can't tell if the room is that size, though.

I also notice that the top and left screen borders are dotted like the lines between other tiles, indicating that there may be more of the level in those directions (we're in the lower right corner). This probably goes hand-in-hand with the above observation.

I would have to play the game to figure out which of these observations actually hold significance, but these are some things to look at.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-28-2009 10:32 PM]
02-28-2009 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lopsidation
Kwakstur wrote:
By looking at the interface, here's what I gather:
The "2" is a move counter for the room ("lynchpin"?), and the "61" is a move counter for something larger, perhaps a level set ("Lokito"?). The arrows between these must represent your moves as an undo history.
Pretty much, except the "61" is the most moves ever spent in this one room.

I notice how (14,8) is the mirror opposite of (16,12) in a 30x20 room. I can't tell if the room is that size, though.
It isn't 30x20, but that wouldn't matter anyway.

I also notice that the top and left screen borders are dotted like the lines between other tiles, indicating that there may be more of the level in those directions (we're in the lower right corner). This probably goes hand-in-hand with the above observation.
No, the room ends there.
Hint: This game has clones.

02-28-2009 at 10:48 PM
Kwakstur
Hmm. Tried playing the demo, and so I'll share what I found.
I still can't guess what you did to the screenshot. I have a gut feeling we could figure it out just with the information we already had (it seems to be a "you're on the right track, but you're thinking backwards" sort of thing).

But I felt like playing the game, and so I posted what I found just in case we did need more information on the game.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-01-2009 07:11 AM]
03-01-2009 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
Is your screen size really 800 x 600?

I ask because you can see your whole taskbar, but DROD needs 1024x768 as a minimum.

03-01-2009 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Dropping your resolution to 800x600 or lower when you're about to take a shot of the entire screen is just courtesy.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-01-2009 04:44 AM]
03-01-2009 at 04:42 AM
lopsidation
Kwakstur: I actually moved south twice. The waiting move on the red box is the key I pressed after death, before the screen reloaded. Also, I didn't program anything new in, everything is just the original game elements.

Big Hints: Think about where (15,8) is. Remember, there are clones in this game that move together (like mimics in DROD).
Bigger Hint: I edited out

03-02-2009 at 03:03 AM
Kwakstur
lopsidation wrote:
Kwakstur: I actually moved south twice. The waiting move on the red box is the key I pressed after death, before the screen reloaded.
Doubtful. The key you press after death, like I said in my description above, closes the death window. As long as that window is present, the last key shown is the fatal move.

Big Hints: Think about where (15,8) is. Remember, there are clones in this game that move together (like mimics in DROD).
Bigger Hint: I edited out
I considered that, but I still don't see how a player could have died at (14,8), since you never moved left or right, and thus could never have activated and been killed by a right or left facing laser gun (which you would need to make this possible at (14,8) but not at (15,8)).

Oh.

In a new level, you selected Laser Gun from the class selector and set Misc1 to 1 so that the lasers start on. You placed right-facing Laser guns at (13,8)(to be obscured by the death dialog) and (10,12), and Heroes at (14,6) and (16,10). You placed a Block or another laser-blocking object at (15,8).

You moved south twice, the heroes died simultaneously, but the one who died at (14,8) was the one that was counted.

You edited the dialog box to say (15,8). The player could not actually have been at those coordinates or else nothing would have blocked the beam.

Alternatively...

Since you say you edited a laser beam out, you actually had the player start at (15,6), and had a right-facing laser gun somewhere behind that dialog box kill it, and you edited out the beam, because there's no way you could've had the player die at (15,8) without a visible beam.

Not quite as kewl.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-03-2009 12:13 AM]
03-02-2009 at 04:32 AM
lopsidation
Yep! If a Hero died at (15,8) to a horizontal laser beam, the beam should extend past the death box to (16,8), but it doesn't. Your turn!

03-02-2009 at 01:17 PM
Kwakstur

File: metroid.png (277.4 KB)
Downloaded 623 times.
I don't exactly have a doctorate in visual effects, but I do know how to abuse an eyedropper tool and, when all else fails, blur.

That said, it's time to go Gamecube!

You can probably tell what's wrong right away, but can you prove that it's impossible?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-02-2009 11:33 PM]
03-02-2009 at 11:18 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+2)  
The Seeker Missile upgrade gives 5 missiles to your base missiles. Therefore, it is impossible to have a maximum of 5 missiles by the time you get all of the ammo upgrades/energy tanks.

And I pass the turn to whosoever wants it. Because I don't. I prefer guessing to making.

Edit: I will provide the mod points to the next winner, though.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 03-02-2009 11:47 PM]
03-02-2009 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
zex20913 wrote:
The Seeker Missile upgrade gives 5 missiles to your base missiles. Therefore, it is impossible to have a maximum of 5 missiles by the time you get all of the ammo upgrades/energy tanks.
Bingo. That was fast.

So it's anybody's turn, now.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-02-2009 11:57 PM]
03-02-2009 at 11:56 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Totally random guess: The formation of bricks above and slightly to the left of the player cannot exist. The wall should be straight.
03-03-2009 at 04:23 PM
dart193
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Number of bombs is strange. I don't think, that this is possible to have so much bombs while having so few scores.
03-03-2009 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591

File: Tower.jpg (87.9 KB)
Downloaded 513 times.
OK, it seems Repton isn't well-known enough round these parts, so instead, here's one from a game you all should know:

03-05-2009 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Without looking to closely into it I think I can say that it's not possible to have all the three orbs before passing through that room.

Edit, ok, I suppose it might be possible (really should've brought up the game before just guessing something). I'm not sure if you can have that many keys and gold left though...

Edit 2: Ok, after playing around a bit I realise that: As you have two blue keys you have not opened the door to the altar yet (unless there's a key I've missed). So to have 14 def you must have picked up four def gems, but you can't, as there are only three you could possibly have reached.

Edit 3: Well, the amount of gold you have left indicates that you have used the altar, so I think you've added an extra blue key to your stash.

[Last edited by Rheb at 03-05-2009 07:44 PM]
03-05-2009 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
And getting all three orbs at that point is not possible.

[strike]Please correct me if I'm wrong.[/strike] I'm right.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 03-05-2009 09:31 PM]
03-05-2009 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
slimm tom wrote:
And getting all three orbs at that point is not possible.

[strike]Please correct me if I'm wrong.[/strike] I'm right.
You're wrong.

It's perfectly possible to get all the listed stats in that screenshot, except for - as Rheb has already noted - the second Blue Key.

EDIT: And just to prove that, here's a walkthrough starting after the prologue to get all the stats but with one Blue Key short.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 03-05-2009 10:05 PM]
03-05-2009 at 09:46 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
Rheb gets to go next, but TFMurphy also gets a point for his walkthrough. Very impressive to find a way of duplicating the exact stats!

03-06-2009 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I'm passing it over to someone else, I really can't think of anything good.

03-07-2009 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
qwertyhn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6

File: Clicky.txt (99 bytes)
Downloaded 70 times.
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (-3)  
TripleM wrote:
Each type of attack (fire, those things shown in the screenshot, those things coming from his eyes) starts about a second before the previous one finishes. Thus you always see two of the forms on the screen at one time. Here we only have one.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him take over the world!(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him take over the world!(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him take over the world!

:smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :smurf :slap :slap :slap :slap :slap :slap :slap :protest :protest :protest :protest :8bounce :8bounce :8bounce :8bounce :8bounce :8bounce :8bounce :8bounce :bond :bond :bond :bond :w00t :w00t :w00t

05-01-2009 at 07:31 PM
lopsidation
It must be fake, because no one would ever put that many smilies and bunnies in the same post?

Please don't spam, qwertyhn. Try to at least post things relating to the topic.

05-01-2009 at 10:46 PM
Bigwig
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25

File: SE3.gif (30.5 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
Ok here's one. Space Empires III.

07-17-2009 at 05:12 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Is it the V in the "Sector: Imbari V (75)" at the bottom?

07-17-2009 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bigwig
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
Nope that's just the number of the planet in roman numerals. I'll give you a clue. It's to do with a relation between the galaxy map window and the window with the planets in it.
07-17-2009 at 06:56 PM
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Altered Screenshots
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes