Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Mobile cheating (Annoying Flash required browsers!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kheldar
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Mobile cheating (0)  
Is there any way to browse the forum especially the Hints and Solutions board from a mobile browser? When I need help on a specific room, the automated "Get Help on a Room" will not work w/o Flash! Then, when I try searching for a thread I know exists, the search engine won't find it. Any ideas?
01-12-2009 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1377
icon Re: Mobile cheating (0)  
A google site search should work perfectly fine.

[Last edited by TripleM at 01-12-2009 08:17 PM]
01-12-2009 at 08:17 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kheldar wrote:
the automated "Get Help on a Room" will not work w/o Flash!
ITYM "'Get Help for a Room' will not work without JavaScript", which is what it needs...

But yeah, a Google search with
site:forum.caravelgames.com "DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : <name of the hold>" <additional search terms>
as the search string should do the trick.

01-12-2009 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm really trying to understand what this situation is wherein you need help in a DROD room but are somehow only capable of browsing the web via mobile phone?
01-14-2009 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
I'm really trying to understand what this situation is wherein you need help in a DROD room but are somehow only capable of browsing the web via mobile phone?
There's these horribly, horribly ancient machines called "PCs without network access", for one...

np: O9 - Terminal Grey (Church Of The Ghetto P.C.)

01-14-2009 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Imagine being in a location with your laptop where you have no internet connection (or you just don't want to pay $15 to find out how to conquer 1S, 3W.) A scary premise, but it can actually happen. Thank goodness your phone still has a signal so you're not totally cut off from the world of web.

Personally, I could wait until I have access, but I imagine that there are those, while perhaps stuck in a dull lecture or waiting for a flight, who might really have to know NOW.
01-14-2009 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Briareos wrote:
There's these horribly, horribly ancient machines called "PCs without network access", for one...

These people pay for a year of access to an internet-based help system? :O

As for this, uh, theory wherein...people are..somewhere with a laptop, and need immediate drod answers, so they..pop open their cell phones, and...what is this, I don't even
01-18-2009 at 10:44 AM
Briareos
icon Re: Mobile cheating (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
These people pay for a year of access to an internet-based help system? :O
If you're talking about CaravelNet - nobody else is.

This is all about the "Get help for a room" page not working without JavaScript, which happens to be the norm on some mobile browsers...

01-18-2009 at 11:21 AM
Banjooie
...but in order to /use/ it for half the holds released you need Caraveln

I don't even know why I am bothering
01-19-2009 at 09:46 AM
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
Not if you're looking for existing(!) hints and use the Google search string that I've posted above...

01-19-2009 at 10:07 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Banjooie wrote:

I don't even know why I am bothering
Sounds like you're blaming Caravel for this.

Well, the choice whether a hold "needs" CaravelNet is decided by its architect! (That's an option one needs to select before promotion.)

If you have any problems with architects putting their hints CaravelNet only, I'd suggest you to complain to them.

I usually skip playing those holds instead.

01-19-2009 at 11:58 AM
Banjooie
Okay.

The problem in this thread: I can't use CaravelNet's hints/solutions search function from my cell phone!

My question: Why are you using a cell phone?

An answer: Because he may not have internet and he wants his DROD room help right now.

My question, mark two: If he doesn't have internet regularly, why would he have CaravelNet?

An answer: Why would he need CaravelNet?

My question, mark three: In order to use a wide swath of the hints and solutions search function, you need CaravelNet. Since he's asking how to use that particular function, I am asking why he is using that particular function /anyway/.

Someone did offer an excellent workaround, I'm just trying to understand why you're using the cell phone thing in the first place.

ITT we assume Banj is /always/ trolling Caravel Games. This is not true, damnit.
01-21-2009 at 09:44 AM
Briareos
*bzzzt*

There's not a single mention from Kheldar in his first and only post in this thread that he has CaravelNet or wants to get it. Also, note the absence of a CaravelNet-ownership-indicating trophy below his post.

And all the three main holds that come with the games are fully accessible on the H&S pages without CaravelNet, so it's not as if the H&S page were crippled when looking for hints for those holds. Using my workaround above you'll find hints for any room, even those you'd need a CaravelNet subscription to see them on the H&S page.

And maybe his only available internet connection currently happens to be via his phone? It's not unheard of for internet providers to cut off your cable-based internet connection for weeks due to sheer stupidity and/or malice on their part...

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-21-2009 02:53 PM]
01-21-2009 at 02:52 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
Banjooie wrote:
ITT we assume Banj is /always/ trolling Caravel Games. This is not true, damnit.
Of course it's not. Sometimes you're trolling other places, right? :P

So... why can't you search for hints if you don't have CaravelNet? Other than secret rooms, it still shows you the levels and level layouts. You can click on any non-secret room, you just can't see the picture of the room itself. So this affects maybe a couple percent of rooms for people without CaravelNet.

01-21-2009 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Schik wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Of course it's not. Sometimes you're trolling other places, right? :P

So... why can't you search for hints if you don't have CaravelNet? Other than secret rooms, it still shows you the levels and level layouts. You can click on any non-secret room, you just can't see the picture of the room itself. So this affects maybe a couple percent of rooms for people without CaravelNet.

And it should be stated that the solution proposed also finds threads for secret rooms (unless the name is wrong, of course).
01-21-2009 at 06:36 PM
Banjooie
Schik wrote:

Schik, I'm really kind of baffled why you're even arguing this with me. I am trying to make a point that changing H&S to be usable on mobile phones is a gigantic bizarre waste of time, and you insist on picking at everything I'm doing here.

I...do you really look forward to doing that or something?
01-22-2009 at 05:28 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Banjooie wrote:
I am trying to make a point that changing H&S to be usable on mobile phones is a gigantic bizarre waste of time[...]
1. Nowhere in this thread did anyone suggest changing H&S.

2. Nowhere in this thread did you make anything remotely like this point.

Bafflement solved?
01-22-2009 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5416
Banjooie wrote:
Schik, I'm really kind of baffled why you're even arguing this with me. I am trying to make a point that changing H&S to be usable on mobile phones is a gigantic bizarre waste of time, and you insist on picking at everything I'm doing here.

I...do you really look forward to doing that or something?
I agree with you that it's acceptable to disregard the users browsing via cell phones - heck, let's not worry about users browsing without javascript period.

I just questioned the one point that you can't use H&S for half of the holds unless you have CaravelNet. I mention it because I think that's wrong, and because if I'm mistaken and it's either buggy or doesn't work like I think it does, someone will come along and correct me and I'll know it needs fixing.

01-22-2009 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
I don't know, Schik. You don't want to make that 'users browsing without javascript' comment because all of a sudden people leap on you about how they use noscript because otherwise advertising people will leap through the monitor and bite their teeth off.

And Znirk, the trick here is that the 'this is completely insane' part should have been obvious. I was trying to give reasoning as to why it was insane.
01-23-2009 at 09:35 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Banjooie wrote:
the 'this is completely insane' part should have been obvious. I was trying to give reasoning as to why it was insane.

But since you were reasoning against a course of action that nobody except you even considered, not telling anyone what it was that you opposed turned out to be kind of confusing.
01-23-2009 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I was reasoning against /his/ course of action, you know, the one he outright stated he was doing?
01-24-2009 at 07:40 AM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
AFAIK, Opera Mini supports Javascript... just get it.
01-31-2009 at 01:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Not Opera Mini.

Opera Mobile can, and I can prove that it can search H&S, as stated in my Mobile Freeware topic. The thing is, it requires a touch screen device running Windows Mobile 5/6 or Symbian, so it's a bit exclusive.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-03-2009 03:59 AM]
01-31-2009 at 03:46 PM
Kheldar
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Wow. I was not expecting this kind of feedback. Allow me to explain. I have played DROD:KDD in the past, many many moons ago. About a year or so ago, I played JtRH on a friend's computer. Loved it. A few months ago, aforementioned friend wanted to ditch his old computer and gave it to me. Installed on that computer was TCB. Now, I have no internet access. Don't want it. However, there are times when I'm really, really stuck. Now what? I figure, let's borrow a friend's phone and check the forum. Horror of horrors! I cannot access the hold! All right, don't panic; just use the search page. Nothing. Frustration!! Now, I don't like using the internet; hence I don't have it, either on my computer or my cell phone. Friends have it, so I have access usually when I want, either mobile phone, Blackberry, or Palm based. Most Java is supported, and that's why I thought it was Flash. (I'm not that technologically savvy.) The suggestion made to use Google worked, but I came across another problem. Most people put their hints in spoiler mode, and that can't be accessed either. Oh well. Many thanks to all involved. As an aside, why don't the secret rooms come up on the map?
02-13-2009 at 03:50 PM
Briareos
Kheldar wrote:
Most people put their hints in spoiler mode, and that can't be accessed either.
That also needs JavaScript.

Oh well. Many thanks to all involved. As an aside, why don't the secret rooms come up on the map?
Because showing them on the map would kinda make them non-secret...

But anyway - how about using your friend's phone as a modem on your PC? That way you should be able to use it in conjunction with just about any browser...

Then again - isn't depending on your friends for internet access silly and/or kinda cheap? Just get yourself a mobile phone with some cheap (pre-paid?) internet access plan so you can use it as a modem if need be...

np: Ian Neal - Kingdom Of The Birds (A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol. 1 (Disc 1))

02-13-2009 at 04:55 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: Mobile cheating (-1)  
Kheldar wrote:
Now, I have no internet access. Don't want it.
:hmmm:

what is this i dont even

[Last edited by Banjooie at 02-14-2009 12:00 PM]
02-14-2009 at 12:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Mobile cheating (Annoying Flash required browsers!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com