Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : See through mud and tar (Does anyone know how top make mud and tar see through?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
usbdriver
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon See through mud and tar (0)  
I have JtRH, fill version, and I would like to make the tar and mud in the game see through. How can I do this? Thanks beforehand. :thumbsup

12-12-2008 at 09:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: See through mud and tar (+1)  
In this thread, there is a mod, along with info on how to use it, so that you can have transparent tar and mud.

12-12-2008 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385

File: TransparentTar.zip (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 80 times.
License: Public Domain
Actually, I would much recommend this one instead. It still looks like swiss cheese, but there's no other way to make it transparent.

It uses PNG Transparency to keep the original, nice-looking graphics. So it looks like normal tar (but holey).

EDIT: I found out who made the mod I suggested, and it's painfully ironic.
I guess that when I got that mod, I renamed it on my computer, got rid of the third row, and stuck it in the JtRH folder.

Method to apply it is still the same:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-12-2008 07:58 PM]
12-12-2008 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: See through mud and tar (0)  
Oh man. That's pretty funny.

12-12-2008 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sapajou
Rank Points: 11
My ‘drod.ini’ file seems to be different from yours. Perhaps because I use the Architect Edition. Anyway, I can’t modify the ini file the way you tell : there’s no [graphics] section, only [wav] and [sound] sections. How can I get this wonderful transparent tar ? Many thanks for you answer. Greetings from Belgium.
04-21-2009 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Step on a vision token, obviously :O
04-21-2009 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Sapajou wrote:
How can I get this wonderful transparent tar?
I'm afraid you can't, as Architect's Edition doesn't support this kind of modding - and it has also got a different tile size so even if modding were possible these tiles wouldn't fit...

You can, however, install the TCB demo, export your player from AE and import all holds and your exported player file into the demo to transfer your progress from AE into the TCB demo, though you'll be missing out on 5 of the 6 tilesets of the full game, but it will also allow you to play all holds made for newer versions of DROD, though the new elements might be overwhelming and underexplained at first...

(You can find the AE hold file for King Dugan's Dungeon here.)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-21-2009 09:05 AM]
04-21-2009 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sapajou

04-21-2009 at 08:51 AM
Briareos
I forgot to mention - you have to import a hold before you can import your progress for that hold, but you can import your player file whenever you like and you'll get any missing progress for the holds in the game merged.

So the correct course of action would be:

* install TCB demo
* import your player file at first run (just creating a new player of the same name isn't sufficient)
* import hold(s)
* re-import your player to get the progress

Hope this helps... :)

04-21-2009 at 09:07 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Briareos wrote:
Sapajou wrote:
How can I get this wonderful transparent tar?
I'm afraid you can't, as Architect's Edition doesn't support this kind of modding - and it has also got a different tile size so even if modding were possible these tiles wouldn't fit...

You can, however, install the TCB demo, export your player from AE and import all holds and your exported player file into the demo to transfer your progress from AE into the TCB demo, though you'll be missing out on 5 of the 6 tilesets of the full game, but it will also allow you to play all holds made for newer versions of DROD, though the new elements might be overwhelming and underexplained at first...

(You can find the AE hold file for King Dugan's Dungeon here.)
Although 1.6 doesn't support modular modding, transparent tar has been around for quite a while, and there is at least one tileset you can use in 1.6 for this purpose.

I hope this helps.

04-21-2009 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sapajou
I hope this helps.
More than help: this saved my life! (I'm in 11th level)
And graphics are more attractive in this TCB demo! Thank you, once more.

04-21-2009 at 10:31 AM
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
sorry to revive an old thread, but I can get any of the transparent tar mods to work. I bought JTRH a couple of years(and three computers) ago. I reloaded my JTRH game, but cannot figure out why the tar remains unclear. I know I had it working before, does it not work with windows 7? The game works just fine. Also, I can't find anything that says general tiles in my bitmaps folder - is it some where else?

03-05-2010 at 04:27 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
cbemom wrote:
sorry to revive an old thread, but I can get any of the transparent tar mods to work. I bought JTRH a couple of years(and three computers) ago. I reloaded my JTRH game, but cannot figure out why the tar remains unclear. I know I had it working before, does it not work with windows 7? The game works just fine. Also, I can't find anything that says general tiles in my bitmaps folder - is it some where else?

One issue you have with Windows 7 is that the .ini files are not where you would expect them to be.

It's off under the User Data folder somewhere...Briareos knows for sure. I will try to poke around for the right reference.

Josh

03-05-2010 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cbemom
that helps - I will look around also

03-05-2010 at 03:00 PM
Briareos
icon Re: See through mud and tar (+4)  
jbluestein wrote:
It's off under the User Data folder somewhere...Briareos knows for sure. I will try to poke around for the right reference.
Who me?

I'm afraid I installed JtRH to D:\Games, which is a surefire way of making Windows 7 keep all files in the installation directory - it's only when you install something to "C:\Program Files" that the User Data file switcharoo gets triggered.

@cbemom: I think your best bet would be to re-install JtRH anywhere but into "C:\Program Files". Or you could navigate into wherever you installed JtRH and click on "Compatibility files" (should be next to "New folder" in the toolbar) in Explorer to get to wherever Windows has hidden your INI files...

Hope this helps... :)

np: Autechre - Autechre.ws Webcast (02.03.2010)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-05-2010 04:05 PM]
03-05-2010 at 04:03 PM
cbemom
found it! It is working now - thank you for your help

03-05-2010 at 07:21 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Thank you from me too. Started using my new laptop with Windows 7 and was wondering why my transparent tar and secrets revealed mods weren't working, even though -- in the .ini file I could see -- the correct code was all still there. All good now.
11-16-2010 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : See through mud and tar (Does anyone know how top make mud and tar see through?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com