Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous (Hold moved to Architecture)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
IP: Logged

File: RPG Hold Anonymous.drh (11.8 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous (0)  
Round 3 is now over, the hold with its current progress is attached to this post.

Someone Else, you didn't submit your room, so I added a blank non-functional room in its place. If you want to participate again, tell me and I will put you in the next round. You can always submit me rooms that you have missed and I will put them in the final version of the hold.

My score so far:
Click here to view the secret text

I am sure I can optimize this more.

Round 4 will go with the usual rules - no restrictions on elements, two rooms per participant.

01-05-2009 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
Can I join Round Four if there's a spot? I looked over this thread and thought it looked really fun.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-05-2009 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Nuntar wrote:
How the fegundo can you possibly finish with 402 HP when you have to cross SIX aumtlich beams in the last room? :unsure
I had a large health potion left in the second level.
12th Archivist wrote:
Can I join Round Four if there's a spot? I looked over this thread and thought it looked really fun.
Sure, you are in.

01-05-2009 at 04:38 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Joining again for level 4. Awaiting instructions.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-08-2009 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I join round 4, too...
01-08-2009 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny

File: level3map.png (23.5 KB)
Downloaded 461 times.
Sorry for a delay. I had some real-life stuff to take care of and I wanted to run through the gauntlet once more:

Anyways,

ROUND 4

The map has been created and assigned:

Rules for level 3:

* Multiplier for this level is x3.
* Starting base stats for this level are 400 HP, 70 ATK, 50 DEF, 500 GRE and 1200 REP. Equipment is a shortsword (+30 ATK) and a bronze shield (+30 DEF). The latter will be accessible in the entrance room.
* I will provide both the entrance and the exit. The conditions to complete the level are 2 green keys, 1 blue key and killing a mimic.
* There are no restrictions on what you can place within your rooms. Scripting, custom music, anything. Among other things, every room contains an NPC that resets the music to default.

* You may only edit rooms that belong to you. I have sent you PMs with your personalized dungeons. I will use only the rooms you were supposed to create.
* You may not edit anything on the edge of the room.
* Make sure the player can navigate the dungeon freely: make your room easily skippable (recommended, but not enforced).

To submit your work in such way other participants cannot get access to it. I recommend uploading the file to www.mediafire.com and sending me the download link via PM or email. Or, you can attach a password-protected archive and send me the password. Anything works, as long as I am the only one who can access it.

The submission deadline is within one week, which is Local Time:01-18-2009 at 10:00 PM. The sooner I receive all submissions, the faster we can all test our creation.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 01-09-2009 03:30 PM]
01-09-2009 at 03:17 PM
12th Archivist
What are the enemies that you recommend for the rooms right now? Do Mad Eyes work, or should I go lower/higher?

01-09-2009 at 11:33 PM
mxvladi
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous (+1)  
I think the mad eyes are too weak for the player now. So, enemies which are quite hard to beat by player are:

Goblin, Tar Baby, Soulless, Mimic(which is required to include), Tar Mother
01-09-2009 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
mxvladi wrote:
...Mimic(which is required to include)...
Erm... that list was supposed to tell you what to expect in the exit room, so you more or less know your goals. It does not require anything - you can place anything to your hearts' contents as long as it doesn't interfere with other rules.

01-10-2009 at 05:35 AM
12th Archivist
How am I supposed to give you the file over MediaFire? It's extremely elusive.

Or am I allowed to just E-Mail you the attachment?

01-10-2009 at 03:11 PM
mxvladi
12th Archivist wrote:

You press "upload file", then either upload with or without an account, then choose file from your computer, upload it, press "share". There will appear window where share link of this file will be written.

Oh, by the way, you're also allowed to attach password-protected zip file in this topic(of course, password must be PMed to eb0ny).

[Last edited by mxvladi at 01-10-2009 03:28 PM]
01-10-2009 at 03:27 PM
12th Archivist
Thank you. Following these instructions, I have PMed my submission to eb0ny.

01-10-2009 at 03:47 PM
Jeff_Ray...
12th Archivist wrote:

Or am I allowed to just E-Mail you the attachment?

You could always password-protect the file and send it as an attachment. Someone's done it already...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-10-2009 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Nudge. About 16 hours left to the end of the round 4. Jeff_Ray, I am waiting for your submission.

01-18-2009 at 06:25 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Sent. :)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-19-2009 at 01:21 AM
eb0ny
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Sent. :)
The thing is blank. You must have exported the wrong hold. Please resubmit.

01-19-2009 at 12:56 PM
Jeff_Ray...
I did!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-19-2009 at 09:00 PM
eb0ny

File: RPG Hold Anonymous.drh (16.6 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
Level 3 is now complete. I didn't have a chance to play through it yet, but here it is.

EDIT: Proper version uploaded.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 01-20-2009 06:54 PM]
01-20-2009 at 04:36 AM
eb0ny
The bad news are that I have forgotten to add a scoring checkpoint in the end. I have fixed this problem now, but you will have to restart your runs (I am sorry for this, but I share your pain too, so we're even).

Anyways, no optimization run:

Sorry again for the missing score checkpoint.

Also, I noticed that previous levels get blocked at one point. Personally I don't think that is a problem as there's barely anything left to pick up. They are still accessible with a pickaxe, though.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 01-20-2009 06:56 PM]
01-20-2009 at 06:52 PM
eb0ny
VIPCOOL wrote:
I didn't realise my room would kill the level. We could fix it, but that would destroy the point of the game.
How did your room exactly killed the level? I didn't see any problems (apart from previous levels being blocked).

[Last edited by eb0ny at 01-21-2009 04:46 AM]
01-21-2009 at 04:45 AM
eb0ny
Nuntar wrote:
I think VIPCOOL was replying to my post, in which I pointed out that having three large potions and five ATK gems in one room, with no really difficult monsters to kill to reach them, made the rest of the level too easy once that room had been reached. I think "killed" was a bit of an exaggeration :)
Oh... I immediately associated that word with making the level impossible.

Now that I am looking at that room, you could replace large health potions with normal ones and remove some ATK gems... I could do it, but that would violate the rules. So VIPCOOL, if you want to fix your room, send me a corrected version of 1S3E with whatever changes you feel like doing. Personally I think there is nothing wrong with tweaking minor bits in this game, and we have already done it with trapdoors in level 1 and some inaccessible items in level 2.

One or two more test runs on the updated level and we can start round 5!

01-21-2009 at 03:35 PM
eb0ny

File: RPG Hold Anonymous.drh (16.8 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Here is the fixed version of the level. Let's not add any more changes, as it breaks the very concept of the game.

List of changes:
* 1S3E is harder now.
* Baby skipper is no longer a decoration.

Play this version and post your scores, as I need to know the base stats for the next round.

01-21-2009 at 07:40 PM
eb0ny

File: level4map.png (18.8 KB)
Downloaded 648 times.
My low score indicates that I need to re-run the hold again:
Also, the reset scripts will actually work now. Sorry about that.

ROUND 5

The map has been created and assigned:

Rules for level 4:

* Multiplier for this level is x4.
* Starting base stats for this level are 800 HP, 100 ATK, 80 DEF, 1100 GRE and 2400 REP. Equipment is a shortsword (+30 ATK) and a bronze shield (+30 DEF). No additional equipment, as you can see.
* Note what keys the player might have. Players might have something like 3/0/0/2 (like I and Nuntar) or something like 3/2/1/1, if they didn't take the blue key in 3S2E.
* I will provide both the entrance and the exit. The conditions to complete the level are 2 green keys, 1 blue key and killing a red guard.
* There are no restrictions on what you can place within your rooms. Scripting, custom music, anything. Among other things, every room contains an NPC that resets the music to default.

* You may only edit rooms that belong to you. I have sent you PMs with your personalized dungeons. I will use only the rooms you were supposed to create.
* You may not edit anything on the edge of the room.
* Make sure the player can navigate the dungeon freely: make your room easily skippable (recommended, but not enforced). This has been thoroughly ignored, so I will remove it from the rules.

To submit your work in such way other participants cannot get access to it. I recommend uploading the file to www.mediafire.com and sending me the download link via PM or email. Or, you can attach a password-protected archive and send me the password. Anything works, as long as I am the only one who can access it.

The submission deadline is within one week, which is Local Time:02-01-2009 at 10:00 PM. Faster == Better.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 01-23-2009 04:31 PM]
01-23-2009 at 04:31 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Here's a small list of the expected damages of a few enemies with the starting base stats:

Soulless: 140
Mimic: 270
Swordsman: 570
Red Guard: 720
Gel Baby: 600
Fegundo: 1120
Waterskipper: 2600

As with Nuntar's list for Round 4, other creatures are too hard or easy. However, with ATK and DEF upgrades, monsters such as seep might be attackable.

Get working!

~Jeff_Ray

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-24-2009 at 02:40 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I'd like to join the next round of this hold. I'm sorry for missing the deadline on that level. Also, if it's another gauntlet level, count me out. I really cannot think of anything that I'd like to put in one of those.
01-24-2009 at 05:42 AM
eb0ny
Someone Else wrote:
I'd like to join the next round of this hold. I'm sorry for missing the deadline on that level. Also, if it's another gauntlet level, count me out. I really cannot think of anything that I'd like to put in one of those.
Will do.

01-24-2009 at 04:44 PM
12th Archivist
I've PMed eb0ny my submission, making the submission deadline look unworthy.

Well, with this done, I can continue working on my beta hold.

01-24-2009 at 04:53 PM
eb0ny
12th Archivist wrote:
I've PMed eb0ny my submission, making the submission deadline look unworthy.

Well, with this done, I can continue working on my beta hold.
The faster everyone submits, the faster we can start testing. Speed good.

01-24-2009 at 04:58 PM
eb0ny
Bumpty reminder bump! There are approximately 56 hours remaining to the end of this round.

Jeff_Ray, I am still waiting for your submission.

01-30-2009 at 02:10 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Argh... I'm always the last to send these files in... I've been very caught up in homework and other random activities these days... no worries, though! Now that the week has finished, I should have time to finish my entry by then...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-30-2009 at 04:30 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous (Hold moved to Architecture)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com