Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : More DROD Number Coordinates?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon More DROD Number Coordinates? (+1)  
I was playing with the editor and did realise in making a level that the numbers for the coordinates stop at 19 (Noventonce).

Wouldn't it be nice, although rather superfluous, to include just one more to make the number of numbers we have a round figure?

Perhaps "20 times" could be "Vigintonce", from the Latin "viginti", meaning twenty.

For things that come after, these terms will almost never be used, so would be a pure waste of time to implement, and wouldn't fit in the editor space in the top. However, perhaps the following could be used in texts outside the program such as in stories as an extension of the numbers we have.

I can't think of anything good for the numbers 21-29 that resemble the ones we already have, but a really pompous or quite long-winded way you could do it (Also partly derived from the Latin) is to use "et" (And) to join the twenty and the unit figure together:

21 times could be "Vigintonce-et-once"
22 times could be "Vigintonce-et-twice"

...and so on, until...

29 times - "Vigintonce-et-novence"

30 times could be the much less long "trigintonce" from "triginta" (thirty)...

...and so on.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 03-02-2004 at 10:30 PM GMT]

03-02-2004 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: More DROD Number Coordinates? (0)  
I'd be a little worried about running out of space in the location banner. Give me 29N29W in a level whose name is thirty letters long, and see how you feel :evil:

03-02-2004 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
A side topic:

In this thread, we have people who discuss the problem of what comes after thrice, and who actually get it remarkably correct compared to what we have in DROD:

http://www.castlereshka.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12622

03-02-2004 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
I'd be a little worried about running out of space in the location banner. Give me 29N29W in a level whose name is thirty letters long, and see how you feel :evil:

I didn't really mean for 21 onwards to be used in the program. What I thought it could be used for is for pompous speeches and stories in which such numbers could be used to continue the DROD theme and be verbosely silly, for example:

"Vigintonce-et-septence have I now attended the Smitemasters' Guild without fail," said Hallholder Bombus....

03-02-2004 at 10:50 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I don't think we really need it, because levels are hardly ever that big. Maybe we could put "Very Far North and West" or something like that. What does it say on the banner in the editor for 29W29N or whatever?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-03-2004 at 05:25 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
At some point it starts giving the numbers - "20 north".

03-03-2004 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Request - Since this is more a site request (stories)/general DROD request, could this be moved to either the General or The Site board so that it is more in-topic?

03-05-2004 at 05:58 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
agaricus5 wrote:
Request - Since this is more a site request (stories)/general DROD request, could this be moved to either the General or The Site board so that it is more in-topic?
I don't get it. This is a feature request for the game.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-05-2004 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
icon Re: More DROD Number Coordinates? (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
I don't get it. This is a feature request for the game.
Well, not really any more. Just the "vigintonce" bit. The rest, if you have another look, I suggested as a sort of extra to the vocabulary of DROD.

As DiMono pointed out, having such silly things like "vigintonce-et-novence" will be a little too much for the level coordinate scroll at the top of the screen, and plus, who would ever make a hold twenty-something rooms long in one direction?

I requested the change, not to be silly and waste your time, but instead to get this moved to somewhere else where it is more suited to the audience it may get. In my opinion, it is no longer a Feature Request for DROD the game, but for background information for DROD.

Plus, I thought starting another thread in the General board, containing much the same info as in here, except with a statement saying "this is extra stuff, just to add more to the DROD vocabulary", would be wasteful and make for unnecessary clutter, which I do not want to do, as it is inconsiderate.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 03-05-2004 at 11:23 PM GMT]

03-05-2004 at 11:20 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Wow... 3 years necromancy :)

I personally don't mind, but it can be seen as slightly rude. Chances are that conversation is now officially finished and forgotten.

Starting a new thread, in the cases where you find the subject interesting is a prefered method on most forums... :)
02-20-2007 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Nah, It's not that bad. It's already bumped up now anyway.

I think they should be left alone personally, it's just the Eighthian way of counting things! Fancy words up until twenty, and then normal numbers going up!
02-20-2007 at 02:52 PM
Syntax
Nuntar wrote:
Sorry :) But I'd still like my suggestion to be considered. Should I delete it and repost it in a new topic?
It's fine :) Just thought I forewarn as people do take these things to heart. I just remind myself there are bills to pay and get over the whole thing.

Plus, I must admit, that was without doubt the most eloquent necromancy I have ever seen so congrats... I've seen a few posts in my time lol

Seriously... it's usually
"2001 - Nah let's not make that part of the build"
"2007 - Woowo1oo1o1o1o1o1o1111111111! That's wicked!!!! when's it comain out???"

(typos intended)

/off-topic completely
I program for a living. This has to be the best example of necromancy ever... in the changelog!

1996 - I'm not sure why this works as I thought arrays had to be initialised, but I've been told it's the way it should be done
2005 - It's because the arrays are initialised in the global context by the bootloader

Oh how I laughed :D
/back on topic

Yeah, think you got away with it ;)
02-20-2007 at 03:20 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
/off-topic completely
I program for a living.
Oh my, and there I thought I was the only one to do that here... :lol

My favourite job currently would be fixing an in-house project management webapp that was coded by a doctor of computer science that now works for Google, and who worked on the Sun's Java Just-In-Time compiler earlier on - while he was doing his civil service here.

Boy did I have no idea what kind of cruft was in there for me to fix... :(

That might not be considered necromancy, but it's quite some Frankensteining nonetheless...

np: Autechre - Netlon Sentinel (EP7)

02-20-2007 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
You have my utter sympathy :)
02-20-2007 at 05:38 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
You have my utter sympathy :)
Thanks. Actually, the "fixing" part is the easy one - the "feature request" part is the real biggie... :look

np: Autechre - PIOBmx19 (Garbage)

02-20-2007 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Syntax wrote:
Plus, I must admit, that was without doubt the most eloquent necromancy I have ever seen so congrats... I've seen a few posts in my time lol
Well, I hope this doesn't start an informal contest for most eloquent instance of thread raising. We don't really need a horde of undead -- if polite -- threads swarming the board ;).

++Adam H. Peterson
02-20-2007 at 07:24 PM
Syntax
:) It was pretty damned good tho, huh?

Italics and all hehe
02-20-2007 at 07:30 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
The serendipity of this forum is just overflowing.
02-20-2007 at 09:16 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
AlefBet wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Well, I hope this doesn't start an informal contest for most eloquent instance of thread raising. We don't really need a horde of undead -- if polite -- threads swarming the board ;).

Zombie brain tea party.

02-21-2007 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: More DROD Number Coordinates? (+2)  
Earl Gray Matter?

02-21-2007 at 07:28 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Back on topic, I would prefer not to have more silly numbering.

02-24-2007 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: More DROD Number Coordinates? (+1)  
I would prefer to have more silly numbering.

I want the room descriptions in the forum to use the adverb forms.

You know it makes sence.

boom-tish

02-24-2007 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
What's wrong with speculating about unknown thins about the Eighth?" It encourages people to speculate on what is up with the Eighth themselves, and sometimes starts very good discussions.
02-24-2007 at 02:02 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Of course, the Eighth doesn't have the same linguistic and etymological background as Earth. You can look at these Latin roots and whatnot, but it actually makes a lot more sense in terms of old Eighth languages. It's just a lucky coincidence that Sihmpuhl Englihsh is so similar to Modern English.

Also, twolce just sounds a lot better than duodeconce.

[Last edited by schep at 02-26-2007 12:44 AM]
02-26-2007 at 12:44 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : More DROD Number Coordinates?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com