Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Fool's Errand
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (0)  
jemann wrote:
I should note that I've only just started on JtRH, and haven't actually fought any goblins yet -- so I haven't developed any goblin-related strategies. Help would be appreciated.
This is probably the main problem. If you don't want to wait, I suggest making a practice hold in the editor with goblins so you can understand their AI.
(Note: I couldn't post this to the Hints & Solutions forum, because when I picked 'The Fool's Errand' as the hold, it didn't load the map...)
Yes, because of the *TRICK*, we don't want the rooms shown in the room image database, so they're hidden for...I can't remember if it's everybody, or just those who don't have CaravelNet so their progress can't be uploaded to the forum.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-13-2006 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
I have found Easy or Hard (1W specifically) to be a good hold for goblin practice, especially as it displays some of their more uncommon behaviour (how to run through a bunch of goblins, for example). It would be pretty much the same as making your own demo room in the editor, though, except that you can be sure Easy or Hard is doable, whereas you might come up with an impossible room.

Note that you should be able to post in Hints & Solutions even if the room doesn't appear. Make sure you picked the right one on the level display, and you will do fine. The room picture only appears for CaravelNet users who have visited the room, near as I can tell (and uploaded their progress).
01-13-2006 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jemann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 160
Thanks for the help. I only asked because I didn't think DROD would store my progress if I switched holds, and I didn't want to have to solve all the other rooms again... I've now discovered this is not the case, so I'll revisit this room when I'm older and (hopefully) wiser.

Edit: goblins now toast :)

When I selected this hold in the Hints & Solutions form, the choice of level didn't change, and it was still displaying the first level from JtRH. This happened in IE (Firefox gets some sort of Javascript error earlier on the page - it only displays the Hold and Level elements, then some scripting stuff). I didn't pay for CaravelNet membership, so maybe that's the problem (happy just to have the game).

[Last edited by jemann at 01-16-2006 05:38 AM]
01-16-2006 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, for this hold we don't want people looking at the room images unless they can prove they have been to those rooms...which requires CaravelNet.

And Hints & Solutions works fine for most people with Firefox, so you probably have an extension or security settings that are causing problems with the scripting.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 01-16-2006 05:52 AM]
01-16-2006 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (+2)  
MY WORD YOU ARE EVIL! After seeing that this hold required "a trick" three weeks ago, I tried this hold, I didn't look at hints, a didn't check the threads, and I finally got it. YOU ARE EVIL MAN!! :thumbsup
02-05-2006 at 05:39 PM
Kiwi
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Ok, I'm going insane here! This is my FIRST EVER post to ask a question, having completed all 25 levels of King Dugan's Dungeon simply by reading the hints from time to time. I even cracked the secret from the blue door hint early in this thread, but I'm stumped. I think there's a bug in my game or something. I'm in The fool's Errand, 4 south. That's the one with the snakes, the mime, and the invisibility potion.

EVERY TIME I get the invisibility potion, the snakes stop moving. Is this a bug?

I was so frustrated, that I started looking through the forums for an answer and saw someone said to re-install the program, and I did so without backing up the database, so now, all my saved games are lost and I can't prove I completed KDD :angry and I STILL can't drink the invisibility potion, and complete 4S because the snake won't MOVE! Grrrrr!

Can someone tell me if this is a bug, and if so, is there a fix, and if not, what in Heaven's name am I doing wrong???

Thanks
Kiwi

05-01-2006 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (+1)  
It is not a bug - snakes do not move when you are invisible and they cannot see you (inside the gray box around you). That is the case with all monsters. In this case, you need to ensure all the snakes but one are dead before becoming invisible, and ensure that the one remaining snake is within your gray visibility box when you get the potion so you can kill it with the 2nd mimic.

05-01-2006 at 05:43 AM
cambium
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (+1)  
Actually, you don't need to use mimic #2 at all if...

Click here to view the secret text

03-06-2007 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Survey says: Irony wins the day.

I think some fellow dropping a rather neat hint is actually kind of cool.
03-07-2007 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Fool's Errand
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com