Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Explosions past Force Arrows
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged

File: explosion.png (29.6 KB)
Downloaded 288 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Explosions past Force Arrows (+3)  
In certain cases, a bomb is able to penetrate a Force Arrow barrier, leading to unintuitive behavior. The requirements for this are as follows:
* The Force Arrow is on the same row or column as the bomb, but not directly on the bomb.
* The Force Arrow points in a direction perpendicular to its position from the bomb.

When these are met, the bomb is allowed to hit the square the Force Arrow is on, and expand from it, which is expected. But it can also still expand diagonally *against* the direction of the Force Arrow, which can lead to an example explosion as seen in the following image:

===

Now, unfortunately, I have no idea whether changing this would break anything, or how intentional this is, or what. It's fairly easy to fix, but unlike "Force Arrows under Bombs", it's not something new to 3.x. So whether it can or should be safely changed isn't clear. (We really need that delightful mutant spider someday.)

But I did feel it unintuitive enough to mention it here, so that even if it doesn't change, its effect is at least documented.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-11-2008 01:08 AM]
06-11-2008 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Explosions past Force Arrows (0)  
Ew, that's very counterintuitive.

06-11-2008 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Jatopian wrote:
Ew, that's very counterintuitive.
Ugh. Yes, this needs to be fixed, doesn't it. Normally, I'd say leave quirky logic as-is, but this is a bug that was only half-fixed in 3.1/3.2, so it definitely needs to be fixed for real. If any rooms end up broken as a result, I'd vote for tweaking them to compensate instead of living with this bug forever. TFMurphy, would you be willing to post a fix for this here?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-14-2008 08:35 PM]
06-14-2008 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Explosions past Force Arrows (+3)  
Well, as far as I can see, the fix would be the following in CDbRoom::ExpandExplosion:

wTileNo = GetFSquare(wX,wY);
for (UINT o = 0; o < ORIENTATION_COUNT; ++o)
{
	if (o == NO_ORIENTATION) continue;
	const int oX = nGetOX(o);
	const int oY = nGetOY(o);
	if ((oBlastX == 0 || (oBlastX * oX) > 0) &&
		 (oBlastY == 0 || (oBlastY * oY) > 0))
	{
		//Valid direction.  Check if arrow blocks it
		if (bIsArrow(wTileNo) && bIsArrowObstacle(wTileNo, o)) continue;
		//Otherwise, add to list.
		cs.Push(wX + oX, wY + oY);
	}
}

We should probably do something about the old fix (which was the addition of a Range 1 check after the BOMB_RADIUS check), but it can't just be outright removed - it's what's currently making sure Fegundo explosions obey the force arrows. Of course, if we let Fegundos have their own check in CPhoenix::Explode:

CDbRoom& room = *(this->pCurrentGame->pRoom);
UINT wTileNo = room.GetFSquare(this->wX,this->wY);
for (int y = -1; y <= 1; ++y)
	for (int x = -1; x <= 1; ++x)
	{
		//Make sure we obey Force Arrows
		if (bIsArrow(wTileNo) && bIsArrowObstacle(wTileNo,nGetO(x,y))) continue;
		this->pCurrentGame->pRoom->ExpandExplosion(CueEvents, coords, this->wX, this->wY,
				this->wX + x, this->wY + y, bombs, explosion);
	}

But that might be complicating the issue... unsure.

I've tested both changes quickly, and I'm not seeing any problems... though some things have a rather nasty way of hiding in rather complex interactions. The logic seems sound though.
06-14-2008 at 09:20 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
TFMurphy wrote:
Well, as far as I can see, the fix would be the following in CDbRoom::ExpandExplosion:
Thanks. Added.
We should probably do something about the old fix (which was the addition of a Range 1 check after the BOMB_RADIUS check), but it can't just be outright removed - it's what's currently making sure Fegundo explosions obey the force arrows.
Hmm...yeah, since this check isn't needed for bomb explosions in general any more, I'd rather remove fegundo explosion logic to its own place. This looks good.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-14-2008 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 231
mrimer wrote:
TFMurphy wrote:
Thanks. Added.
We should probably do something about the old fix (which was the addition of a Range 1 check after the BOMB_RADIUS check), but it can't just be outright removed - it's what's currently making sure Fegundo explosions obey the force arrows.
Hmm...yeah, since this check isn't needed for bomb explosions in general any more, I'd rather remove fegundo explosion logic to its own place. This looks good.

Wow... That was quick... :-O

06-14-2008 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Explosions past Force Arrows
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com