Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Welcome ideas (FAO Mr. Imer (and anyone else who's interested))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Welcome ideas (+5)  
Mike I get the impression that the Great Tinkerer is very busy at the moment, so I'm going to address this mainly to you, but I'm putting it here rather than a PM so that anyone who has an opinion to give on the wider subject can chip in.

With my 'Benevolent Influence' cap on, I've been giving some thought to the way in which we welcome/introduce people to this site and I have a technical question: How easy or difficult would it be to have an email which would go automatically to a new member when s/he registers?

I envisage the email itself as being fairly short, (the exact contents I'm chewing over at the moment and suggestions from anyone would be most welcome) but containing links directly to the most important threads/information that newbies need. With regard to that I'm tentatively working on a new "See this thread first when you join" thread. I remember being a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount and variety of content in the site when I joined and I have to confess that the "Arnold" thread left me a bit flummoxed; in fact I didn't put anything in it if I remember correctly, because I didn't feel I could say anything relevant about me and Arnie!

Although this is addressed to Mike, I would be very happy to listen to any opinions on these matters.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 05-17-2008 11:33 AM]
05-17-2008 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Welcome ideas (0)  
What about remoddeling the "Questionaire" thread into a welcome thread? We could add a welcome message (without Arnolds) to the beginning of the thread and encourage newbies to post something about them (eventually by using the existing questionaire).

Well, we could also implent a clown with a "Welcome on board" sign into the forum which is shown after completing the registration.... or a welcome song sung by forumites... or a 20 pages EULA/AGB file... the possibilities are endless.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 05-17-2008 12:43 PM]
05-17-2008 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I'd think that instead of creating yet another email for people to gloss over, having the Arnold thread include those links would be better.

As for revamping the arnold thread, my experience of it was of pleasant surprise for not having the usual 'say hi here' thread or the welcome email. Ok, I was uncertain how to respond to the thread, and not being a huge arnold fan I couldn't pick one which suited me, as thus moved on. But I still like the idea.

It might also be useful to have a memorandum of understanding of how to treat newcomers, as for a long time it has simply been an ugly mess of everybody rushing in at once with their own idea of how the situation has been handled.
05-17-2008 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Up till now, I generally haven't been involved with the workings of the Forum's email system and server code, so I myself don't know how hard it would be to implement sending out an email for that. I'd need to get with Matt to find out how this would be done. But I do like the idea of giving new forum users a more general starting post to look at with a brief list of starter pages. Please go ahead and write up your idea.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-17-2008 04:49 PM]
05-17-2008 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks Mike, I will.

And thanks also to NiroZ an MeckMeck for your input.

What about remoddeling the "Questionaire" thread into a welcome thread? yes, I was thinking about that possibility.

As for revamping the arnold thread, my experience of it was of pleasant surprise for not having the usual 'say hi here' thread or the welcome email I am a member of 2 websites - this and my writing site - so I'm not sure what "the usual 'say hi here' thread" is like, but if I'm reading between your lines correctly, you're saying that we would want something distinctive and in keeping with the site to welcome newcomers?

It might also be useful to have a memorandum of understanding of how to treat newcomers, oh yes to that!! :thumbsup

05-17-2008 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 231
Maybe a forum tutorial?

[Last edited by Vike91 at 05-17-2008 06:03 PM]
05-17-2008 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
The idea of the Arnold thread is very good. However I keep seeing valuable members say they found it off-putting. We should really see if we can figure out what's wrong with what we have now.
Vike91 wrote:
Maybe a forum tutorial?
We have the FAQ. We don't want to seem so stilted as that.

05-17-2008 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Welcome ideas (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
The idea of the Arnold thread is very good. However I keep seeing valuable members say they found it off-putting.
Yeah, well... seeing as how many films Arnie has released in the last few years maybe it's time to switch to another actor?

(How about Eddie Murphy? *ducks*)

np: Aesop Rock - Limelighters (ft. Camp Lo) + Flunkadelic Interlude (Bazooka Tooth)

05-17-2008 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Welcome ideas (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
The idea of the Arnold thread is very good. However I keep seeing valuable members say they found it off-putting. We should really see if we can figure out what's wrong with what we have now.
Vike91 wrote:
Maybe a forum tutorial?
We have the FAQ. We don't want to seem so stilted as that.

It probably isn't helping that Arnold has moved from film to politics. Or that he acts in a limited number of genres. Or that he hasn't released a film lately. Or that he's rather hypermasculine.

Of course, what would be the alternative here? I'd say to be less offputting this might need to become even more absurd. Just switching celebrities would be sorta lame.

Which M&M are you? Its forum related, but it sounds like a lame online quiz. It would leave open a choice of color or of the personalities from the ads though, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

What movie monster are you could be fun.

If Erik were up for it, the intro thread could be like.. guess a number between 1 and 50, 6 free months of caravelnet if you get it (you can only try once) or some such similar.

What's the answer to your favorite riddle? (Please don't tell us the riddle) That'd be mysterious at least. Might still leave some people out, especially non-English speakers. Unless we encouraged foreign language riddles in that case, which would be kind of awesome.

Whats the weirdest thing you've ever eaten? (Heh, I guess I'm kinda hungry, for every idea here there are like 4 food related questions I didn't post)

Favorite duo? (Batman and Robin, Abbott and Costello, Sonny and Cher, Beethro and Halph or whatever, doesn't matter where from just so they're a duo.)

I think thats about it for goodish ideas I have. At worst I think any of them would at least be less offputting than Arnold.

05-17-2008 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I think the biggest issue I have about the Arnold thread is that it seems a little out of place in a forum that's so ethnically diverse. If it was a mainly NA forum, then you might get away with it. However, in a forum where English isn't the strongest language for some, something more generic might be better.

05-18-2008 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Beef Row wrote:
What movie monster are you could be fun.
Indeed. Maybe just which monster or villain are you, or if you can't decide, is your favourite. Everybody would have a response to that.
05-18-2008 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Welcome ideas (+2)  
Nice ideas. I've tweaked the forum's new user greeting here and there to incorporate these ideas and bring it up to date. How's it look now?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-18-2008 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
mrimer wrote:
Nice ideas. I've tweaked the forum's new user greeting here and there to incorporate these ideas and bring it up to date. How's it look now?
Oh, very good! I like it. Three cheers for Mike everyone! :thumbsup

I particularly like the fact that in doing that you have retained in the Welcome that sense of "Erik-speak" or Caravel-speak". When you said to me above to write up my ideas I had a sudden mini-panic thinking - I can write it, but will it sound like me rather than Caravel? I can string a sentence or two together, but imitating someone else's style is another matter.

05-18-2008 at 01:29 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I'd recommend that some mention be made about the topic having changed at some point, so if somebody reads it, people don't think that Arnold characters are the only hero/villains we associate with.

05-18-2008 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blooloo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
Howzabout an online, single player DROD game for DROD lovers running obscure operating systems?

05-18-2008 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Welcome ideas (FAO Mr. Imer (and anyone else who's interested))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com