Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Color tiles that don't go into the next room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Color tiles that don't go into the next room (-2)  
I recently played the caves. A major problem was that there were alot of crumbly tiles that were on the edges but didn't go anywhere. So my request is that you overlay a color on the sides of the room that don't go anywhere, like in the editor.

04-20-2008 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Color tiles that don't go into the next room (0)  
That is bad form from the architect.

That is not bad form from the developer.

If anything, I think we should request that people don't build holds with dead-end crumbly strings.

I do not believe that the developers need to create something that fixes the mistake of architects.

04-20-2008 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
I personally hope that I rarely see it. But that doesn't change that, especially in old holds, there are edge areas that don't go into another room.

Even though it might be the architects fault, it shouldn't be the player's job to have to test every single edge hoping to find a room on the other side. So you could change all the holds this happens in, or make it apparent when the rules aren't followed.

04-20-2008 at 07:48 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Hm. If this does get implemented, maybe it could show up with the grid lines or something?

04-20-2008 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Color tiles that don't go into the next room (-2)  
Sounds a great idea. Not.

If I remember correctly, JtRH has lots of that kind of rooms. If this gets in, I'd suggest the original requester to modify all rooms in KDD2, JtRH and TCB so that they can be released correctly, with the corrected intended look.

Thanks alot for further delaying the release of JtRH for TCB though.

Besides, this would ruin many of those "aesthetically looking" holds.

A much better way is to marks those holds lower, and not playing lower scored holds.

You have a choice of not playing holds you don't like, you know.

04-20-2008 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
I think have it as an option. Sure, if it's on it could look terrible, but it would stop you trying to access those areas that look like you can reach, but can't. Well, it might help at least.
04-20-2008 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
But, as an option, we'd have to exit a room into settings when we want to turn it on. And then if we want to turn it off again.

04-20-2008 at 11:37 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
icon Re: Color tiles that don't go into the next room (+1)  
Unless these indications only appeared while a certain key was held down, or a key toggled them on and off..
04-21-2008 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
zex20913 wrote:
But, as an option, we'd have to exit a room into settings when we want to turn it on. And then if we want to turn it off again.
I already have to do that with alpha blending in overly dark rooms :(

I guess an ingame toggle would work. We have move counters, room locks and other nifty stuff like that already. Plus, I think hiding secret room entrances in small gaps in "solid" edges is one of the not-so-cool tricks...

On the other hand this shouldn't be that serious a problem. It's not too common for holds to have exits that can be reached but can't be used. We can make it clear that it's not cool. Don't do it.

Unnecessary, unreachable exits as red herrings or aesthetical usage should be just fine. This feature would make especially the first one much less effective (or we could start adding decoy rooms behind those edges which defeats the purpose of this entirely and proves that it doesn't solve the problem of bad and/or abusive design)

I think I'm ultimately voting 'no'.
04-21-2008 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Doom wrote:
I already have to do that with alpha blending in overly dark rooms :(
Am I the only one who'd want an "Ambient light" slider that limits possible amount of darkness, kinda like "Minimum font size" in Firefox limits the unreadability of fonts?

04-21-2008 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
icon Re: Color tiles that don't go into the next room (+1)  
A "disable lighting" hold-down or toggle key would be nice, and more useful than a config setting.. :yes
04-28-2008 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Color tiles that don't go into the next room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com