Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Pandora's Box (Easier Swordless Manipulation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.0/10 (9 votes)
σ 0.67
Author Name:Hartleyhair
Submitted By:hartleyhair
Hold Name:Pandora's Box
Theme:Easier Swordless Manipulation
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:39
Number of Monsters:145
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Pandoras Box.hold (15.1 KB)
Downloaded 960 times.
License: Other
icon Pandora's Box  
I originally intended to submit this as an SS but it soon transpired that it wasn't really good enough. So I've added a story and released it onto the Holds board. It's a short Hold, it's not too hard, and is quite a good way of getting into swordless manipulation.
04-09-2008 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Pandora's Box (+2)  
Well it was good enough to totally knock the evening I had planned right off the rails. Conquered the hold but still have 2 secret rooms and that unrequired room left in order to master it. I will enjoy my #1's for a few hours only I'd guess, but it's nice for now. (And it moved me up to 64th overall and closing on Jatopian.)

Overall a very enjoyable hold. Many of the rooms were simple enough, though, having not played much since last June, the swordlessness was a new -- and therefore good -- experience for me.

A couple of the rooms were really... frustrating, but solvable in the end. (Thank you very much to CuriousShyRabbit and Rabs for their in-game help.)

Favourite room: Wrath: 2S, 1W - nowhere near optimised this room but I learned a lot about aumtlichs. I also enjoyed watching the adder gobble up slayers in Cruelty: 2S, 1W

Least favourite: Cruelty: 2S, 1E - this was just, er, cruel, for me anyway. Although again, I learned a lot in the process; but it's thanks to CuriousShyRabbit's help that I still have hair on my head.

I can't speak for those who have lots of experience with the 3.x engine and characters, but for me this was a really good hold to play. I have a much better understanding of aumtlich and slayer behaviour now, as well as using other characters to manipulate outcomes.

Thanks very much hartleyhair.

(Also, this is the very first hold I have ever completed before anyone else -- except beta testers of course -- so I will always think of it fondly. :D )

[Last edited by noma at 04-10-2008 08:12 AM]
04-10-2008 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: Pandora's Box (0)  
Glad you enjoyed it!

Conquered the hold but still have 2 secret rooms and that unrequired room left in order to master it.

You don't need to conquer unrequired rooms to master the Hold.

Cruelty: 2S, 1E - this was just, er, cruel, for me anyway.

Oh, you'll love the Cruelty secret room then... :devil

04-10-2008 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
hartleyhair wrote:
Oh, you'll love the Cruelty secret room then... :devil
Yes, you evil person. I found it last night and may I just say how glad I am that I had stepped on a checkpoint near the end of the previous room. Otherwise... But at least it seems manageable.
04-10-2008 at 03:50 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Well, you can move through it without conquering. In beta testing, it was the only room I needed to provide a demo for (although that was partly because of my poor hint-giving).

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 04-10-2008 04:04 PM]
04-10-2008 at 04:04 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Unfortunately the Cruelty secret room creates an unintended solution in another room. :(
04-11-2008 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Oh, yeah, I guess it could. Hmm.. guess that #1 is gone huh?
04-11-2008 at 07:01 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Well, it was already gone, now it's just gone more :)
04-11-2008 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Thx hh for a hold involving Beethro with no sword. Some pretty tough rooms mixed in.
04-11-2008 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
Innovative hold and very hard!!! :w00t

I give 9 difficulty and 7 overall :P
05-08-2008 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Pandora's Box (Easier Swordless Manipulation) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com