Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : viewing Hints Demos before completing the room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Samtastic
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon viewing Hints Demos before completing the room (0)  
Hi,

I am new at DROD, bought and playing KDD, really enjoying it, up to level 8 but needing help with the mud mothers. I have clicked on various demos in the hints sections, but cannot view them. They show up on my desktop, I have even put them in my DROD homemade file, and they show up on my import page in the game, but I cannot view them. Once I have completed the room, they are there in all their glory, but this seems rather unhelpful!

I am also working on an iMac, and rather a computer newbie, so any simple, easy to understand advice would be great.

Thanks,

Sam :no
02-29-2008 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: viewing Hints Demos before completing the room (+1)  
You need to import them. I suspect the victory demos you see after completing the room are your own.

02-29-2008 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
As Jatopian said. You can store them anywhere, but need to hit the Import button on the F6 screen and select a demo. Once that's done, the demo should appear in the top left area and should be viewable.
02-29-2008 at 04:02 AM
Samtastic
icon Re: viewing Hints Demos before completing the room (0)  
I do see them on my import page in the game when i hit F6, but when I click on them to import, either nothing comes up or a previous (solved) demo comes up. Confusing.

Thanks for any help.

Sam :?
02-29-2008 at 06:13 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: viewing Hints Demos before completing the room (+2)  
Here's how I would view a demo from the forums:

* download the demo and save to my download folder
* in-game, go to the appropriate room
* hit F6
* hit Import
* navigate to the demo in my download folder

The demo should now appear in the top left under "Demos for xxxxxx".

* Double-click the demo to view

Does that help?
02-29-2008 at 07:36 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
* Double-click the demo to view
Ummm... doesn't double clicking actually trigger the rename dialog? If so, click on the demo once, then click on the "Watch" button.

Also, after navigating to the folder with the downloaded demo in it click on the demo file, then on "OK" to actually import it. (Probably stating the obvious here, but better safe than sorry...)

np: The Orb - Mother Nature (The Dream)

02-29-2008 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samtastic
Thanks guys, all that was clear and easy to follow, but I am still stuck with the problem that SOME demos will just not be imported !!! I get the message "Demo being imported belongs to a hold that you don't have and was ignored" when I press the import button, yet occasionally others can be imported and viewed. What Gives???

thanks,
Sam :? :( :no :unsure
03-03-2008 at 07:04 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: viewing Hints Demos before completing the room (+3)  
Are you still playing KDD? The original KDD hold (in Architects' Edition and the free download on the Holds board) and the KDD 2.0 hold (sold as the full game or a Smitemaster's Selection) are two different holds, even though they share most of the same rooms. Demos from one won't import into the other.

If you're playing through the commercial hold and a thread only has demos for the original (filenames starting KDD instead of KDD20), just ask for more hints or a newer demo. I'm sure many of us have a full set of KDD 2.0 demos lying around by now.
03-03-2008 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Samtastic
Aaaahhhhh ! This makes sense now!

I am playing with the bought full game version which must be KDD 2.0, so if I understand you correctly, for me to watch a demo, it must be a KDD 2.0 Demo? Well, this certainly helps my understanding, and I will request same in future if the hints don't pull me through.

Thanks Tuttle!

Sam :)
03-03-2008 at 10:32 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Yup, you're playing KDD 2.0 and you need KDD 2.0 demos.

You're still better off searching for and using the original KDD threads for the regular rooms -- there's way more content there, and the rooms are the same in both holds so it's best to keep the hints together. Just ask if you need a KDD 2.0 demo for something.

For the secret rooms when you find them, you'll need to search in the KDD 2.0 hold specifically -- those rooms don't exist in the free version of the hold.
03-04-2008 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Samtastic
Thanks Tuttle I will go that route for the pretty much guaranteed "stucks" I will come across in my journey of DROD. I routinely search for help in the original KDD threads.

Sam :)
03-04-2008 at 02:58 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Tuttle great job - I hate strongly dislike seeing newbies getting frustrated. And I really don't like it when it is not even their fault. I didn't even know their were two versions. I mod'd you up for helping out here. :thumbsup

03-04-2008 at 06:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : viewing Hints Demos before completing the room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com