Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Editor: Dragging characters and orientation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Editor: Dragging characters and orientation (+2)  
Right now, here's what happens if you click on a character in the editor, if you're in the "monsters" tab.

* You have anything other than "character" selected, and you click. The "customize character" box opens; the orientation stays the same.

* You have anything other than "character" selected, and you drag. Nothing happens, because the editor places the selected monster throughout the dragged region.

* You have "character" selected, and you click. The "customize character" box opens; the orientation changes.

* You have "character" selected, and you drag. The character moves; the orientation changes.

While there's a certain sense of consistency here, there's also something deeply irritating, because there's no way to

(a) move a character without changing its orientation.
(b) change a character's orientation without having the "customize character" box pop up.

If you want to drag six or seven characters with varying orientations, you have to orient, drag the first, reorient, drag the second, reorient, drag the third... (Note that "cut and paste" moves them all and preserves orientation, but it also drags along everything else in the area, like arrows and floor.) And if you want to change the orientation of six or seven characters, you have to click, hit "escape", click, hit "escape", click, hit "escape"...

It would be really nice if one could change orientation without getting the infobox, and if one could drag without changing orientation. Chaco suggested a modifier key (e.g., "shift"+drag maintains orientation, "shift"+click changes orientation without getting the box).

The specific request:

"Shift"+click on a character (as long as you're in the monster tab, but regardless of what's selected) changes orientation without opening the dialogue box.

Dragging a character never changes orientation. ("Move this character" and "change this character's orientation" are two separate tasks, and shouldn't be combined; if you want to do both, do one and then the other.)
02-09-2008 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Editor: Dragging characters and orientation (0)  
02-09-2008 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Editor: Dragging characters and orientation (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
The specific request:

"Shift"+click on a character (as long as you're in the monster tab, but regardless of what's selected) changes orientation without opening the dialogue box.

Dragging a character never changes orientation. ("Move this character" and "change this character's orientation" are two separate tasks, and shouldn't be combined; if you want to do both, do one and then the other.)
Yes, this would be useful. I'll make it so that:

1. NPCs are not reoriented when dragging them to a new square.
2a. I think reorienting already works for single-tile monsters without Shift. Now Shift-clicking any orientable monster (incl. NPCs and rock giants) reorients it also.
2b. Shift-clicking an NPC will not open the dialog box.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-10-2008 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Editor: Dragging characters and orientation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com