Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : High score bugs (again)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: High score bugs (again) (0)  
Ok, it looks like everything is finally fixed.

Ok, I've lost a couple of #1s but I don't mind anymore... 99180 points and 23362 rooms played has saved me a lot of time :P
01-29-2008 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: High score bugs (again) (+1)  
Dischorran wrote:
Now if only I could convince it that conquering 100% of the rooms in Doctor E. Will's Mega Complex counts as a conquered hold...

Usually when I have a situation like that I find that it's sufficient to just go down the 'end hold' stairs again.

Josh

01-29-2008 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JDAdams
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
I finally got my SS holds correctly associated last night, and on going through the high score demos for KDD 2.0 I have to say I am somewhat discouraged that many of them are blatently inaccurate. I've seen three separate issues:

- Some rooms, such as First Level : 3N2W have only my own and Syntax's demos visible. Others must have done these as they are required rooms.

- Other rooms, such as Fourth Level : Entrance have clearly impossible move counts. It takes 19 steps to exit this room, and many in 2nd place have precisely that score, yet the top score is 16. Another obvious one is Fourteenth Level : 3N - it has a 16-move score but that is only enough to hit one of several necessary orbs, to say nothing of disposing of the goblins. None of these have downloadable demos, and most are by either Arno or Xen.

- Finally, many rooms, including Fourteenth Level : 3N again, have a 0-move score recorded, simply impossible for rooms with monsters and I would think for any room.

Any thoughts? My own demos, bad as they are, seem to upload fine and the scores seem accurate once this is done.

[Last edited by JDAdams at 01-30-2008 10:45 AM]
01-30-2008 at 10:43 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
There seems to be an outstanding bug (in amongst all the other spider weirdness) where the demo list sometimes includes demos which are for other rooms. I've seen it mentioned in a few other threads, so personally I've just been ignoring it. If you scroll down the list you can generally work out where the real demos start, and if they're all dodgy then trying again a few minutes later can get you a good list. :) If it's still misbehaving once the spider has settled down, then I'll start worrying.
01-30-2008 at 11:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
As I said before, I do think all issues are now resolved. Either that or can I bribe the spider to keep my 130K score, having played all rooms in all holds ever made, but also every room yet to be published in the next 2 years.

Clever trick.
01-31-2008 at 06:18 AM
fratropea
Rank Points: 87
I am sincerely worried!!!
The spider has to verify only 14 of my demos,
but I am down around 250 #1....
As it is possible?
In the various holds all the best demos are wrong.
Many demos there are not
Our job is lost? :unsure

[Last edited by fratropea at 02-03-2008 12:56 AM]
01-31-2008 at 10:25 AM
Syntax
fratropea wrote:
I am sincerely worried!!!
The spider has to verify only 14 of my demos,
but I am down around 250 #1....
As it is possible?
In the various holds all the bests demos are wrong.
Many demos there are not
Our job it is lost? :unsure
Don't worry, it's not :)

The spider just needs fixing and may have to recheck everything again, but as long as you keep your local demos, there's no way your overall actual score will suffer.

I lost 600 #1s, and halved my pts per room but it's slowly creeping back up. I'm just being patient for now... :)
01-31-2008 at 12:01 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: High score bugs (again) (+2)  
I guess the spider had too much caffeine... :D

01-31-2008 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
JDAdams
Rank Points: 33
Some of my KDD 2.0 level 12 scores hadn't registered, so I did a full score upload, and now I now have 458 / 307 high scores - this figure seems wrong, shouldn't the left figure be lower?
02-01-2008 at 09:27 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
The spider is clearly working in some sense--it successfully removed my 0-move, 0-place demos upon request. But...well, while it's great that fratropea has received credit for all 44 high scores in this 15-room hold, perhaps there's still some sort of problem at work here?
02-02-2008 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Yes, there's obviously still problems. I'm working on it.

02-02-2008 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Okay, one step at a time.

As noted, some highscore demos have landed in the wrong rooms. This is currently being fixed. It's taking quite a while, and might take a couple more days, I'm not sure. (It's an automated process, just a slow one.)

After it's done, I'll work on the next step and keep you all updated.

02-06-2008 at 11:53 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
This is very odd - many of my scores for An Aumtlich's Quest, several of which were number 1s, have mysteriously grown to ridiculous numbers of moves. For example, apparently I took 446 moves to leave The Entrance...

I haven't yet checked to see if this has happened with any other Holds.

02-07-2008 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
That's the same thing everyone's been talking about. You are not the only one. Here, the spider mixed up your demo for the Entrance with one of your demos for another room that requires 446 moves.
02-07-2008 at 07:47 AM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Oh, ok. Sorry about that!

02-07-2008 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Schik wrote:
As noted, some highscore demos have landed in the wrong rooms. This is currently being fixed. It's taking quite a while, and might take a couple more days, I'm not sure. (It's an automated process, just a slow one.)
I'm so sorry to be a pest, but I don't think this automated process is working as expected. Today, I have been watching my highscore demos move from wrong rooms to different wrong rooms. Now I even have highscores in 2 10 13 holds I never downloaded.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 02-08-2008 08:06 AM]
02-08-2008 at 07:34 AM
Schik
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Schik wrote:
I'm so sorry to be a pest, but I don't think this automated process is working as expected. Today, I have been watching my highscore demos move from wrong rooms to different wrong rooms. Now I even have highscores in 2 10 13 holds I never downloaded.
Some examples would be very helpful.

02-08-2008 at 12:30 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I'm seeing the same. Currently I have scores in these, but I haven't downloaded them and I show 0% explored:

An Aumtlich's Quest
Beethro's Bad Dream
Beethro's Mission: Spiders
Chaco's Hold
Dungeon Country
Egg's Dungeon
Flibbit's Flourish
Garlonuss' Galley
HQ
king dungans lost ice castle
Lunchbreak Special
Mark's Penultimate Dungeon
MetDROiD Echoes
Nightmare Dungeon
Psycho Therapy
Smart Brain Sanctum
The Infested Castle
The Long Quest, Part 1: A mysterious threat emerges!
The Mining Business
The Palace of Puzzles
The Snow Land
The Tackers Tower
Twenty Minutes Distraction

Edit: I'm also seeing several new holds where I have more high scores than there are rooms; these weren't like that a few days ago either:

A Collection of Constant Room Templates
An event #1
Bad Evil Restaurant
Claythro Tower
J'nis Tomb v.2.9.7
Journey to Rooted Hold
King Dugans Tomb
Loony Labyrinth
Magic Show
Odd Jobs Novice

Finally, I know that a score from "Beethro Budkin in "That Really Annoying Hold"" 3W has gone missing -- I finally dealt with that room a few weeks ago, and I'm certain it was recorded as completed on the High Scores list.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 02-08-2008 12:56 PM]
02-08-2008 at 12:52 PM
Schik
Ah, okay.

Much of this will be fixed by phase 2, which is in progress. This is another longish one, perhaps a few days again. I'll try to keep you all updated.

02-08-2008 at 05:24 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Sorry for not being more explicit. I'm now going to err in the other direction of being too explicit. The spider has made different types of errors depending on whether I submit demos as I play (connected to CaravelNet) or I do a mass upload of demos after the fact.

What happens when I play published holds when connected to CaravelNet (from mid-October through January). I played some using 2.0.16 and some using 3.1.0.54. This stuff is in good agreement with Tuttle's observations.
* I originally got a highscore for every room that I played. But the wrong demo was assigned to each room, so the move count of every one of my highscores during this time was wrong. I can't give any examples right now, because this information has been lost from CaravelNet. One hold I played in 2.0.16 was Spherical Hold. In 3.1.0.54, I started Troshian Tower.
* Yesterday, I saw that I have lost all those highscores. Now Spherical Hold and Troshian Tower (and all the other holds I played when connected to CaravelNet from Mid-October through January) have moved to my Unexplored Holds list, with no recorded progress on CaravelNet. Now I have highscores for rooms in holds I did not play. As Tuttle described, you can find them in my highscore list by looking for Explored but Unconquered Holds where I have highscores but 0% explored.

What happens when I upload demos for a hold all at once (I did this for a bunch of holds on January 30-31).
* The demos got assigned to the correct rooms.
* Every time I submitted more than one demo for a room, I got credit for all demos, not just the best one. An example of this is The Infested Castle : Tower 8 : 2E, where I now hold 9th, 10th, and 11th places. (This is the reason why Syntax has so many high scores. You can see how hard he works on every room he plays.)
* When I submitted a demo that was not a victory demo ("The player is just passing through"), the spider gave me a high score instead of rejecting it. An example of this is The Infested Castle : Tower 8 : 2W. When I beta tested this hold, there was a time when this room was a one square stub and I had a 1-move victory demo. After a puzzle was added to that room, the local title of my 1-move demo stayed as "Victory", but its description changed to "The player is just passing through". When I uploaded my scores for this hold, that demo snagged me 1st place!
02-08-2008 at 10:10 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
I'm not sure if this is a related issue or unrelated, but i didn't see it mentioned.

Several demos are always grayed out and cannot be selected. It seems to be random which ones. Attached a screenshot.

Additionally, sometimes I will select a valid demo and attempt to download it, and the game will say "Error: File corrupted." Leaving the demo screen, reentering it, and trying again often results in a successful download.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 02-09-2008 04:35 AM]
02-09-2008 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
The greyed out demos are definitely in my todo list, a couple steps from where we are now. They're probably the worst effect of this bug, and will require the most work to attempt to salvage.

Not sure about the "File corrupted" thing. We can take a look at it after all this mess is sorted out.

02-09-2008 at 06:44 AM
JoMax
Rank Points: 65
I'm assuming this is related as it's only appeared since Schik's mods:-

The value in the room place position on the Holds / Level page is showing strange values, although the room scores are correctly arranged according to number of moves. First noticed in The Goblin : Halls of Variation

HTH
02-09-2008 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Schik wrote:
Not sure about the "File corrupted" thing. We can take a look at it after all this mess is sorted out.
I've been getting this ever since I started using TCB so doubt it's linked to anything the spider is currently doing .
02-09-2008 at 04:40 PM
JoMax
JoMax wrote:
I'm assuming this is related as it's only appeared since Schik's mods:-

The value in the room place position on the Holds / Level page is showing strange values, although the room scores are correctly arranged according to number of moves. First noticed in The Goblin : Halls of Variation

In response to my own posting:-

It is this value (the #) that the room scoring is calculated - I've just completed Imperial Wandering : Case Study : 1S which came up as 17th place in-game but is clearly 4th (3rd if you discount the double entry for Syntax at 1st and 2nd)

[Last edited by JoMax at 02-12-2008 08:31 AM]
02-12-2008 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
JoMax
Sorry to keep carping on about this, but I've just found another symptom.......

Not only is the spider assigning/has assigned the wrong demos to the wrong rooms but to the wrong players as well.

The spider appears to have lost all my progress to The Goblin so I've started it again, and was comparing demos. In Outer Defences : 1E ignoring the 2 rogue high scores of 5 moves I downloaded the true #1 by NoahT, however the demo I received was by fred. I tried again with another demo, so I downloaded that by redfish, again the demo was for the correct room but was by Erppo.

I'll echo the concerns of Syntax, my genuine #1 are few and far between and the result of hard work, it now appears I have 2 reasons to fear losing them, genuine demos from other players and the spider making 1 or more mistakes....

Edit : Have just found 2 demos attributed to me for 1S:2E, 191 moves on Jan 9 - actually by Syntax on 26 Oct, and 198 moves on Nov 15, belongs to daniel on 27 Nov.

This is getting really frustrating......

Re-Edit : The 2 demos above purportedly by me were removed when I resubmitted an actual demo.

This is now beyond frustrating - after every room I'm checking the web page for my guestimated true position before deciding to try and optimize. Now I'm thinking of stopping play until I can be sure the spider is not lying to me.

Any more news Schik? - please

[Last edited by JoMax at 02-16-2008 02:50 PM]
02-16-2008 at 12:36 PM
Schik
The only news I can really give you is that I know all of this and a fix is in progress. With 2 million demos uploaded over the years, you can imagine that it takes some time to process them all to make sure they are put in the right room and with the right player. I'm trying to be very careful so as to lose as little as possible, and I have very limited time to work on this right now.

02-17-2008 at 12:50 AM
JoMax
Thanks for the reply Schik, I was only trying to report new symptoms.

Guess I will have to learn more patience :)

Keep up the good work, and thanks again.
02-17-2008 at 10:19 AM
halyavin
Rank Points: 52
May be CaravelNet sold spider's soul to the devil in order to complete TCB in time? O:-
02-17-2008 at 01:49 PM
JoMax
Not sure if this is related or if it has been noticed before...

I'm currently replaying the early levels in Mysteries of the Deep and I cannot submit demos for some rooms. It is present on levels 1 to 6 but is especially bad on level 7, affecting 4 rooms - 2N:1W, 3N:1W, 3N:2W and 3N:1E.

For all these rooms the best demos are all grayed out.

This is the first hold in which I've noticed this problem, and have only replayed it to re-establish my progress/high scores on CaravelNet.

02-25-2008 at 02:45 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : High score bugs (again)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com