Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Think Outside The Box (Thinking outside the box.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.7/10 (29 votes)
σ 1.09
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Think Outside The Box
Theme:Thinking outside the box.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:37
Number of Monsters:125
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Think Outside The Box.hold (12.5 KB)
Downloaded 2630 times.
License: Other
icon Think Outside The Box  
What would happen if the person who coined the phrase 'Think Outside The Box' really wanted to put it to a test. Why they'd devise a bunch of devious puzzles and then they'd invite none other than Beethro Budkin to check them out. If Beethro couldn't think outside the box then who could? Whether you've ever done it before or not, this hold will require you to Think Outside The Box.

Thanks to testers:

Blondbeard
Doom
Syntax
10-12-2007 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: Think Outside The Box (+1)  
Good hold, lots of solid puzzles. This was the easiest LarryMurk we've seen in a while, but it shows that easy doesn't have to mean uninteresting. (Although, ahem ahem Bonus Level, sometimes it does.) I particularly liked the variety in puzzle that this hold managed to get while still sticking to its theme, so great job on another addition to the LarryMurk collection.

10-13-2007 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
Another great Larry hold. Interestingly enough, I had the hardest time with the rooms on the first level...I guess it just takes me a level to get into the right frame of mind to deal with Larry's puzzles.

Short and sweet, very fun, reasonably difficult. I gave it a 9 for fun with 7.5 brains.

Josh

10-14-2007 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Think Outside The Box (0)  
Pretty good Larry hold. Fun theme for rooms, I greatly enjoyed it.

Question:
Click here to view the secret text

10-27-2007 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Think Outside The Box (0)  
Ezlo wrote:
Pretty good Larry hold. Fun theme for rooms, I greatly enjoyed it.

Question:

10-27-2007 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
Finally finished this. I had such a blast with all of these rooms, except in those where there was absolutely no way the room was possible... but then it was! I particularly liked Lv3 1N, Lv 5 1E and the extra snake level. I also like the fact that larry always makes a story to go along with the puzzles. Its just so much more satisfying for me! Thank you...
11-01-2007 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Another Good hold of larrymurk.
I give it 7 fun and 8 brains. Good job.
I like the puzzles, and the decoration! :thumbsup

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
11-09-2007 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Finished this hold a while ago but never posted my comments, so I'll do that now. Another great Larry hold, and slightly easier than some of his previous work. The puzzles were generally fun, and they indeed made me think outside the box. Overall, I give this a 9 for fun and an 8 for brains.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-09-2007 at 08:23 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This was one of the easiest "hard" Larry holds I had seen in a while. At least, until I got to the fifth level. Tough, definitely.

I must agree with jbluestein, the first level required a complete change in thinking and was therefore the hardest. Once you adopted the proper thought pattern, the next few levels become a ways easier.

Enjoyable hold! This deserves:

8 fun
7 brains

:thumbsup

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
09-26-2010 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
This hold's title is literal; enemies are contained within a box and you will solve each room by running around and guiding them from outside of it. There's still a decent variety of puzzles though with fegundos and mimics coming into play on occasion. The solutions rely on lynchpins rather than mazes and are clever but ... the limited interaction and simplicity of the rooms means that it's pretty much impossible to get stuck without figuring out the answer via straight process of elimination. So don't expect anything more than bite-size difficulty.

The presentation is tidy and utilitarian. The bonus level was the only one I didn't enjoy as much because each room just repeated the same trick under more precise conditions. There's also a prank in one level that I dislike from a design perspective but can't be mad at because it's fairly harmless and got me way better than it probably should have.
12-31-2016 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Think Outside The Box (Thinking outside the box.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com