Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Online room generator (Useful tool for demonstrating layouts?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Online room generator (0)  
I thought today that it might be useful to have some sort of room (or room section) generator on the forum which we could use to build part of a room, and then have it embedded in the post. Like a small flash application that mimics the room construction in the hold editor. I've seen several instances around the forum over the years of people using ascii text to demonstrate room layout for some in-game process or theory, and I think it would be cool to be able to actually throw together a picture as part of the board's features.

I think it would have to be flash or a java applet or something to work online, but as for where to include it I have no idea. Does anyone think there's potential here?

10-01-2007 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Online room generator (0)  
Perhaps. Better than requiring a hold file to just give an illustration of something simple.

10-01-2007 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Online room generator (+1)  
Um... I'd be happy if somebody really wants to go to all that work... but I think I wouldn't want Schik or somebody doing that when there's all kinds of other important stuff to do. If it's really complicated one can use the DROD editor and then take a screen shot; the only problem is that sometimes persons are separated from their DROD.

10-01-2007 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Online room generator (+2)  
I happen to have a Java applet simulating room construction to some degree already. It probably can be modified to allow selecting a portion of the room and exporting is as an image file. How much complexity are we talking about here? Because, come to think of it, I kind of really not want to draw every element existing in DROD up to TCB in my own art...

10-01-2007 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
icon Re: Online room generator (0)  
Use someone's own GeneralTiles.png? They can extract it using Stefan's utility (also written in Java).

I would be willing to write a DROD hold importer/exporter if you want, as I've been looking for some Java experience, and I know enough about how DROD stores hold files to be able to (hopefully) write such a thing.
10-02-2007 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Online room generator (Useful tool for demonstrating layouts?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com