Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The Nameless Project (Last updated 26/02/06 - Version 00.013 - long monster interface and a new original snake!)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged

File: Hog.jar (381.1 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Nameless Project (+2)  

Project:       Nameless - codename "HOG"

[=============]                  (==================|==================)        Hours spent
Version:    [ 0 0 . 0 1 4 ]           Phase: (t----Planning----Prototype----Alpha--)         T   C   D
            [=============]                  (==================|==================)        016 050 019

O============= TO DO =============O  O=========== LAST DONE ===========O  O============= NOTES =============O
|      Draw normal hero tiles     |  |       Editor panel added  5     |  | Will be in Java (requires JRE)  |
|                                 |  |      Styles for monsters    1 2 |  | 3 weapons, kittens, red roaches |
|   Plan saving/loading (files)   |  |    Monsters added to editor 1 4 |  |                                 |
|                                 |  |       Orbiting Roaches    1 2   |  |                                 |
|   Make special effects support  |  |    Snakes... on a plane!   2 5  |  |   wall styles, original tiles   |
|                                 |  | New original long monster 2 2 5 |  |                                 |
O=================================O  O=================================O  O=================================O

O================================================= HOT NEWS ================================================O
| 08/02/13 Converted the applet to Java and now it runs in the form of an executable JAR file.              |
O===========================================================================================================O

BY WHAT CREEPS, WHAT CRAWLS, BY WHAT DOES NOT, LET ALL THAT GROWS RECEDE AND ROT!

I plan to build a DROD-like game in Java. This is a semi-serious project, I will mainly do this to improve my programming skills and just for fun. This is an applet, so it requires Java Runtime Environment to run on your computer. Don't let the fancy planning page fool you, it will take a really long time before there will be anything running, and probably at least a year before there will be something worth running anyway. This is partly because of the pressure of my college studies, partly because of JtRH soon coming out and eating all my time, and partly because I'm naturally extremely lazy. So don't hold your breath.

[Last edited by Maurog at 02-09-2013 12:46 PM]
02-22-2005 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: New_Bar_Secret_12.jpg (293.8 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Re: The Nameless Project (0)  
Heh, I didn't thought that you are updating it :). You should create some kind of hmmm... subscription, so the interested will know about updates. Besides, what means T D & C ? Is ths some kind of code? Ok. I'm not going to posion your minds by my bad english anymore:)

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 10:57 PM]
03-01-2005 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog

File: roach.gif (8 KB)
Downloaded 1908 times.
License: Other
I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in this at all, because there were no replies. By the way, I like your idea. From now on, the subtitle will change each time there is an update.

I use T, C and D to keep track of how many hours were spent of doing stuff. C shows how much hours were spent on actual coding. T means theory/testing and goes for inventing new concepts, or testing how stuff works and feels in general. D stands for design, and shows how much time was spent on drawing pictures, building levels or updating this thread.

[Edited by Maurog at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 07:19 PM: Storing Roaches]

03-01-2005 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
From begining of this post I was waiting for some more info. Well, After your answering to your own post, I noticed that it's changing.

Well I'm interested :) As you can see:) I'm wating without patience for first playable version :) I don't know what to say anymore, so I will go doing mine project(Or playing somebody Hold on DROD:AE :)) Wish you luck
Ah and this page with all this info about project is cool! I will create something like it if you will allow me(I must have rights to your license).Do you give me rights page like your?

[Edited by skell at Local Time:03-01-2005 at 06:02 PM]

03-01-2005 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog

File: yu.jpg (83 KB)
Downloaded 122 times.
I don't object to anyone using the same page template. I did it to make the whole thing a bit more organized.
Feel free to copy-paste my page, or just create a similar one.

As for a playable version... as previously mentioned, it will take a lot of time, all this drawing of tiles and coding, and my laziness is legendary. I am going to make the whole tiles and animation business as generic as possible, to make future improvement easier. By the way, I like how the pit traps fall in your project, it's cool :)

[Last edited by Maurog at 08-07-2005 06:45 PM : storing pic]
03-01-2005 at 07:50 PM
skell
Thanks for trapdoors:) It simply was too hard to do like in Drod, So i Had to create my own:)

And How Graphics works in Java? You must create combination of every floor+enemy? Or maybe there is Transparent Backgrund function?

03-02-2005 at 05:15 AM
Maurog

File: screenshot.PNG (82.3 KB)
Downloaded 525 times.
I work with .png files that have the transparent color, so drawing sprites over tiles should be no problem at all. Hopefully this whole "hold a million tiles in memory and link the variables to them as needed" stuff will work fast enough to even allow some animation. Drawing every floor + enemy would have been a nightmare.

[Last edited by Maurog at 10-01-2007 02:43 PM : screenshot]
03-02-2005 at 07:09 AM
skell
Hehe Fun:)
But I'm very sad, that there aren't too many interested persons:(
But what can I do?
Ok I must now disconnect, 'cause money is going to Mr. guy from telecommunication:)

03-02-2005 at 03:05 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
It plays well. (The aim is to catch all the blue tar babies and then put them into one small pen, am I right ?)

I like the projekt.
03-02-2005 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
I'm not skilled enough to help you with your project, but good luck.
03-03-2005 at 03:45 PM
MeckMeck GRE
The version now is not working. It says "Aplett is not notided"
03-03-2005 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Not working you say? Investigations will follow. Not now though, because this project won't progress at weekends. It did work from my computer though, so I believe it will be fixed. As of now, bad version was removed. To say the truth, it was a surprise when it did work for everyone in the first place :)

03-03-2005 at 07:44 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
MeckMeck GRE wrote:

What version? I don't see any mention of a download or website to get it from...
03-03-2005 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Zmann wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:

What version? I don't see any mention of a download or website to get it from...
If you read Maurog's last post, you'll see that it was removed for now.
03-04-2005 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
icon Re: The Nameless Project (+1)  
Alrighty, the problem is (hopefully) fixed now. Damn applets and their overzealous security. It appears you cannot use functions that check if files exist. You can use the files, but you have to know they are there in the first place, without checking. Oh well, the new version is attached, please tell me if you see any problems. Oh yeah, I have drawn a (rather bad) sketch of the project's hero. Now all that is left is finding a scanner to give you the first glimpse of our champion. :shifty

03-06-2005 at 11:55 AM
MeckMeck GRE
The wall tiles work well now.

Good work !
03-06-2005 at 03:14 PM
Maurog

File: hogar.JPG (132 KB)
Downloaded 1232 times.
icon Hogar - first glimpse (-1)  
I found a scanner, and as promised here is a first peek at our hero. He sure won't win any beauty contests, but you can count on him to get the job done. Did I mention my drawing skills are terrible? :)

[Edited by Maurog at Local Time:03-06-2005 at 06:30 PM]

03-06-2005 at 06:28 PM
egg egg
Rank Points: 64
My God! It's like a cross between a hobit and a goblin!
With a club!

Anyway, What is the point of the game at the mo?
You can create and delete walls while blobs run around ut why?
What is the objective?
03-06-2005 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Patience please, you cannot expect a two-week project to even remotely resemble something playable :) You can add and remove walls, because walls is what I was working on, and it's the best way to test that they work and combine correctly. The blobs are leftovers from a previous project that I'm rebuilding, and I kept them because they are fun, and they don't disturb anything yet. The point of the game at this point is secret - it's up to you to find it. Oh yeah, there's no scale but he's bigger than he looks. He's supposed to be a half-ogre.

03-06-2005 at 06:44 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Is it set in the eighth?
03-06-2005 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
wackhead_uk wrote:
Is it set in the eighth?
An excellent question! The true answer is, I don't know yet. Probably yes, unless it turns out incompatible with the current Eighth settings for any reason coughrayguncough. It is still in planning, and right now there isn't any reason for it not to be set there.

03-07-2005 at 09:56 AM
Maurog
Okay, a new version is attached which allows putting different walls/doors. You may notice that the blue and yellow styles combine, and also green and red styles combine. This is intentional and is achieved simply by assigning same style number to different styles:
static final int WALLS = 5 ;
static final int[] WSUBS =   {0,1,2,1,2} ;

Note that this will also allow making two exact same styles which do not connect, eliminating the dreaded neighbor yellow door problem. If you need explanation on how to place different walls - left mouse button puts or removes a wall. Use the wheel to change the current style (shown on the top left). If you don't have a wheel on your mouse, you may right-click to change styles. If you only have one button on your mouse, you can try clicking on the style icon on the top left. If you have a Stupida Mouse, you're totally screwed :D

03-08-2005 at 12:08 PM
Maurog

File: runroachesrun.zip (94.8 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
New version (00.002) is attached. The trimming of previous project which was used as a base is complete now. Classes were renamed and improved. Also, the annoying bug which made everything freeze when you moved the mouse was found and smitten. But the big news are - we have roaches now! Watch them chase your mouse, live! Tell me what you think about these roaches, it's not too late to change things yet. Next thing to do will be finally putting the player in there and coding the movement queue, weapon effects, etc. etc.

[Last edited by Maurog at 02-17-2006 02:06 PM : Storing the running roaches version (00.002)]
03-11-2005 at 05:09 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Nice Roaches ! Couldnt they move a little slower ?
03-11-2005 at 05:59 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I don't see any roaches. Some of the walls and combinations are missing too. Probably because Linux is case-sensitive and you're using the wrong case in the code.

If you're interested in fixing this, I attached a zip with all the files in the Data/Tiles directory renamed to be completely lowercase. You'll have to completely delete your Data directory or move it out of the way (simply overwriting the existing files won't work, since Windows doesn't care about case), then unzip this zip in its place. You need to fix the source code for this to work too, of course. Once you've done that your game is multiplatform! Yay! :)

- Gerry
03-11-2005 at 06:21 PM
Maurog
Oh, sorry, some .png editors insist on saving the files as ".PNG" in capitals. Code and images changed to use lowercase stuff only. Oh, and for MeckMeck, the speed buttons were returned, so you can control the speed. The updated package attached. Of course, once we get a human player in there, it will not be real-time anymore :)

03-11-2005 at 08:55 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Oh, sorry, some .png editors insist on saving the files as ".PNG" in capitals. Code and images changed to use lowercase stuff only.
Hey, no need to apologize. Thanks for fixing it!

- Gerry
03-12-2005 at 03:16 PM
Maurog
Okay peoples, it's been awhile because the college pressure is starting to get to me, but we have another advancement. As you can see in the new version, there is a (rather badly drawn) hero. You can move him and turn weapons much like in DROD, but in addition, the keys 1, 2 and 3 switch between the weapons. Also, there are two more styles (the pits, not sure which version I like more), and some minor fixes (roach turning fix, wall style fix). You may have noticed that the roaches still follow the mouse instead of chasing the hero. Also, it was kinda hard to miss the fact that roaches totally fail to collapse into bleeding heaps when you hack and slash at them. Stay tuned for the next version, in which you will finally see how weapons work. Oh yeah, the final hero animation will of course be consistent with the rest (i.e. view from above). This KoL'ish figure is there because I suck at drawing humanoids (it's harder than drawing tiles :(). As always, any comments welcome.

03-17-2005 at 01:50 PM
egg egg
Rank Points: 64
I like the stick figure, maybe you could have him in the final version (better drawn of course)

Is there a button to fire the crossbow?

What is the difference between the club and the sword?

03-17-2005 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
A better drawn stick figure, that would be the day :? It probably won't make it to the final version, but will stay as an optional set. Maybe with matching tiles and monsters and whatnot. Of course there will be a button to fire the crossbow, but as of version 00.003 the weapons are not functional yet, so there is no use. It's planned to be the space button. By the way, if you think my key map is inconvenient, or want alternate keys for some commands, let me know, it's really easy to implement. As for the differences between them weapons, I don't want to spoil it for you, so you'll just have to wait for the next update. Let's just say crossbow is your thing for narrow tunnels and far-range battles, a club is just as good as the sword in a dark alley and has its special uses, but nothing beats sword on an open ground against a huge horde of monsters.

03-17-2005 at 09:23 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The Nameless Project (Last updated 26/02/06 - Version 00.013 - long monster interface and a new original snake!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com