Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Repton
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Repton (+1)  
A recommendation for a puzzle game that I think you lot might enjoy :) The Repton series, found at

Superior Interactive

The games were originally made for the BBC Micro computer and ported to various others in the mid to late 1980's. They have been revived, and updated with new graphics and new levels. And I have to say that they're just as addictive as before.

The game mechanics are like Boulderdash. Monsters, falling rocks, diamonds to collect, teleporters and a time limit.

But unlike Boulderdash, the game is focused on puzzles not reflexes (though the game is real-time). It's quite a vicious little mindstorm. I enjoyed them so much as a child (and again as an adult) that I actually contributed a few levels to the later-released expansion pack.

Give them a try. If you're only going to get one, then get Repton 3 - it's the largest - 160 levels, in sets of 8. The Repton series is probably second only to DROD in my mental hierarchy of puzzle games.

09-18-2007 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Repton (0)  
So...kind of like Subterra too? :P

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-18-2007 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Oneiromancer wrote:
But much better!

in my humble opinion

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-18-2007 04:16 AM]
09-18-2007 at 04:16 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Repton (+1)  
calamarain wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
But much better!

in my humble opinion
*Better* than Subterra? Gotta check this out... :)

[EDIT]

Looks good - hard at least; but I think I'll be sticking to Subterra. Certain game features are missing such as running down at the same speed as a rock, or being able to "eat" earth next to you without moving there. I also didn't enjoy the high zoom.

I only played the first one, so maybe these possibilities are available in later versions.

Looks like a great introduction to Boulderdash though :) (I do love Boulderdash-style games and actually finished Supaplex (without cheating)).

[Last edited by Syntax at 09-19-2007 03:44 PM]
09-19-2007 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Syntax wrote:
Looks good - hard at least; but I think I'll be sticking to Subterra. Certain game features are missing such as running down at the same speed as a rock, or being able to "eat" earth next to you without moving there. I also didn't enjoy the high zoom.

I only played the first one, so maybe these possibilities are available in later versions.

Looks like a great introduction to Boulderdash though :) (I do love Boulderdash-style games and actually finished Supaplex (without cheating)).
Actually, not being able to run down at the same speed as a rock is intentional. Same for not being able to eat earth without touching - means that the puzzles are quite different from Boulderdash. This applies throughout the series.

There are more things present in the third and second games though - namely spirits, fungus and the time bomb. These make things very interesting.

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-19-2007 04:21 PM]
09-19-2007 at 04:17 PM
Syntax
Yeah I agree... but I guess I'm just too used to Supaplex. Have you played it? I believe it's freeware (at least the tile layout is with the Megaplex emulator (which may also have the Repton layouts)).

I'll try the other Reptons soon...

[Last edited by Syntax at 09-19-2007 07:29 PM]
09-19-2007 at 07:29 PM
calamarain
I remember Supaplex certainly. I might just install Megaplex :)

but I still think the Repton series is better...

[Last edited by calamarain at 09-19-2007 07:47 PM]
09-19-2007 at 07:45 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Hey, they stole my idea :P

For the record, SubTerra contains most of the levels from Supaplex, because I had been in contact with Stopp and Denio (the authors) and they thought it was a cool concept. Yay!

I'm not a big fan of Repton, but I've played literally nearly a hundred Boulder Dash clones, and Supaplex is and remains one of the very best.

09-24-2007 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Radiant wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Repton, but I've played literally nearly a hundred Boulder Dash clones, and Supaplex is and remains one of the very best.
:P I still maintain that Repton is better. Not being able to outrun falling boulders leads to a very different puzzle experience.

09-24-2007 at 09:56 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
If instant-death-by-boulder is your thing, calamarain, try Everett Kaser's MESH games http://www.kaser.com/mesh.html). I'm not as fond of them as SubTerra, but you might enjoy them.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-24-2007 at 10:40 PM
Syntax
Radiant wrote:
Supaplex is and remains one of the very best.
I have played "your" renditions in SubTerra, but it does lack the gravity factor. It's great to see the Supaplex fans recreating the levels (and if it's from memory then... well...).
I do love SubTerra (finished all levels), but I like the idea that Supaplex has so much respect from yourself.

I agree with you that Supaplex is indeed "the original best"...

[EDIT]

Out of interest, did you finish all 111 levels? It took me 10 years to do so (on and off obviously ;)).
09-24-2007 at 10:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Repton
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No