Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Yellow door - orbs and plates highlight
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Yellow door - orbs and plates highlight (0)  
I know this has been brought up before by a few people (including Rabscuttle), but would be nice to have a simplified version of that:
Click on a door and see which orbs and plates would affect it.

The highlight scheme would just be the inverse as to what it is now for doors so it would be nothing new to learn. The advent of pressure plates makes certain rooms "busy" as there are sometimes too many various combinations and methods to memorise without pen and paper...

Or maybe it's just a matter of time till I can analyse a room's door manipulations as well as I could when it was just easily recognisable orbs. It's a pain to click on every orb and plate in order to remember which one opens that next door...
09-12-2007 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Yellow door - orbs and plates highlight (0)  
I've wished for this for a very long time. And with the new Pressure Plates, it's just too easy to overlook an orb. I always thought that there was a reason they didn't include it. But ever since you gained the ability to click on bombs and tunnels, "it makes it too easy" is no longer a valid reason.

09-13-2007 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Yes, but bombs don't show what they will blow up, just the radius.
09-13-2007 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I just want to know what my options are to open a door. This is especially good for busy levels :)
09-13-2007 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Someone Else wrote:
Yes, but bombs don't show what they will blow up, just the radius.
Which is wierd since they show the stuff blown up in the editor (calculating walls and nearby bombs). All they do is uselessly highlight the 7x7 grid of explosion in the actual game . . .

Minor inconsistency in the game?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 09-13-2007 06:22 AM]
09-13-2007 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
icon Re: Yellow door - orbs and plates highlight (+1)  
No, that's intended. Notice that it shows chains in the editor as well, but not in the game.
09-13-2007 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
icon Re: Yellow door - orbs and plates highlight (+1)  
Someone Else wrote:
No, that's intended. Notice that it shows chains in the editor as well, but not in the game.
That's right. In the editor, the architect needs to see the actual explosion coverage and chains in order to better plan out wall/enemy placement. Otherwise the architect would have to play the room every time a minor change was made to those things just to find out where to place objects. In the game, however, the purpose is to simplify the screen enough to let the player understand the basics and then interpret the nuances for themself.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 09-13-2007 04:54 PM]
09-13-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Similarly, there's enough information there for people to work out what doors do. Exposing more information is going to have a negative effect on the puzzles people make.

So yeah, basically it makes it too easy.

09-13-2007 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Yellow door - orbs and plates highlight
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com