Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Katon's Keep
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
IP: Logged

File: Katons Keep(fixed).hold (103.6 KB)
Downloaded 148 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: Katon's Keep (0)  
****** KATONS KEEP IS NOW UPDATED WITH FIXED ROOMS/BUGS ******

I strongly suggest getting this version because all the other version has bugs in them.. please dont use the older verions

[Edit] For the next release of this hold I will remove 3n entirely and replace it with a less time consuming room, also some other bug fixes

As I promised the multi-level hold will be completed around the end of the monthso here it is!

I upped some of the challenges and got rid of most time consuming rooms also. other than that here it is! enjoy!

p.s
Click here to view the secret text

Also for the next version of drod for the editor it would be nice if you could use the road tiles that were used in level 24 of dugan's dungeon. It would be great for

[Edit]

sorry guys I noticed a problem in lvl 1 that you can't exit, I fixed that problem and fixed 2 unsolvable rooms in the later levels.. I'm VERY sorry about this and hopefully there wont be any other problems in the hold

[Edited by Stuwy on 11-22-2003 at 06:44 PM GMT]

[Edited by Stuwy on 11-23-2003 at 05:00 PM GMT]

[Edited by Stuwy on 11-26-2003 at 11:41 PM GMT]
11-22-2003 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: New Hold: Katon's Keep (0)  
?? What "road tiles" are you referring to? Level 24 of Dugan's simply uses the Lava style, I don't recall anything special about it besides the wide-open design.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-22-2003 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
Oneiromancer wrote:
?? What "road tiles" are you referring to? Level 24 of Dugan's simply uses the Lava style, I don't recall anything special about it besides the wide-open design.

He was talking about Webfoot DROD, in which Level 24 had roads all over it. I guess you just forgot, Neil (do you consider this another blame on you? :whistle). :unsure

-Noah

My stuff:

11-22-2003 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I have never seen webfoot drod nor do I expect I ever will so I haven't seen roads either.
11-22-2003 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Roads? as in

You must of seen them in webfoot or you just dont remember them

your telling me they took out the roads in caravel drod??!

(by the way the top image was taken by me 5 minutes ago)

[Edited by Stuwy on 03-28-2004 at 04:33 PM GMT]
11-22-2003 at 02:24 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh yeah, heh... I totally forgot about those... I do remember that when I reached level 24 in Caravel it felt different, but I never figured out why...

11-22-2003 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
I can't open the blue door on lvl 1. From the entrance I went north meaning that I can't do 1 east or 1 west but surely those rooms don't need to be visited to open the blue door? I see 22 rooms did I miss some or do 1 east and 1 west need to be entered?
11-22-2003 at 03:15 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
NoahT wrote:
He was talking about Webfoot DROD, in which Level 24 had roads all over it. I guess you just forgot, Neil (do you consider this another blame on you? :whistle). :unsure

Not sure what the "blame on you" means, but I only got to level 8 on Webfoot DROD. I've only beaten the Caravel version, which I only went looking for after randomly finding the Webfoot version buried deep in my computer one fortuitous night.

So, I had no idea about the roads in Webfoot. Thanks for the image, Stuwy, it was quite informative.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-22-2003 at 03:36 AM
Stuwy
Scott wrote:
I can't open the blue door on lvl 1. From the entrance I went north meaning that I can't do 1 east or 1 west but surely those rooms don't need to be visited to open the blue door? I see 22 rooms did I miss some or do 1 east and 1 west need to be entered?

no, theres no monsters 1E and 1W...thats stange... surely enough it should open but anyways heres something though:

or, with fixed version of this hold you can play on, but you ccan still skip the level, im very sorry about this

[Edited by Stuwy on 11-22-2003 at 06:45 PM GMT]
11-22-2003 at 03:55 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Okay, so I've beaten the keep part, but the door won't open. I have found I think 22 rooms.

11-22-2003 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
So far, it's pretty good, but I think more checkpoints are needed in a few rooms. I also find some rooms a little repetitive.

3N is a little boring, though...

Sorry if I sound negative ;)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-23-2003 at 12:54 AM
Stuwy
zex20913 wrote:
Okay, so I've beaten the keep part, but the door won't open. I have found I think 22 rooms.

heh, this is a little cheap but

11-23-2003 at 01:02 AM
The_Red_Hawk
By the way, how many levels does the hold currently have?

11-23-2003 at 01:57 AM
Stuwy

Exactly

By the way, does anybody know how to use DRODWarp?
11-23-2003 at 04:16 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Whoa! I've got to catch up! ;)

11-23-2003 at 04:22 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Bug: In L1 1N 2W, you don't need to collapse all the trapdoors. On the squares on the diagonal to the first gate, there are crumbly walls that you can break.

11-23-2003 at 09:30 AM
agaricus5
In 3N, I think you need a checkpoint. Restarting killing all that tar is getting rather tedious especially if you managed to collapse most of the trapdoors.

11-23-2003 at 09:52 AM
agaricus5
I found 3N and the Cavern Base a little too boring and tedious to do, so I skipped to "the hold". I am now a little stuck in 4N. It's not that going north is the problem, but instead, it's back-tracking and going back south. I've looked at the room very carefully and I cannot see any way to find a way back to the south entrance. If there isn't one, then I suggest that you change a few force arrows to allow returning to the south entrance so that people not inquisitive to explore the left/right sides of the entrance at first can do so after discovering the exit.

Overall, I am finding this hold moderately hard. From what I've seen, there are a few good challenges, some rather similar to ones in Dugan's Dungeon, which does add some familiarity to the hold, but the rest of the challenges really aren't that interesting. They're very time consuming and a little tedious in places, but really, they don't present that much new challenge or innovation (as yet) to me.

Oh, and in the Keep, 1N 3W, I've had a count and watched it too, but I cannot kill the roaches fast enough to get to the second queen. It seems that although only 13 spawn, I cannot kill them fast enough to have 8 moves left before the next spawn to get to the queen. Is this room possible?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 11-23-2003 at 10:42 AM GMT]

11-23-2003 at 10:41 AM
Stuwy
agaricus5 wrote:
I found 3N and the Cavern Base a little too boring and tedious to do, so I skipped to "the hold". I am now a little stuck in 4N. It's not that going north is the problem, but instead, it's back-tracking and going back south. I've looked at the room very carefully and I cannot see any way to find a way back to the south entrance. If there isn't one, then I suggest that you change a few force arrows to allow returning to the south entrance so that people not inquisitive to explore the left/right sides of the entrance at first can do so after discovering the exit.

Overall, I am finding this hold moderately hard. From what I've seen, there are a few good challenges, some rather similar to ones in Dugan's Dungeon, which does add some familiarity to the hold, but the rest of the challenges really aren't that interesting. They're very time consuming and a little tedious in places, but really, they don't present that much new challenge or innovation (as yet) to me.

Oh, and in the Keep, 1N 3W, I've had a count and watched it too, but I cannot kill the roaches fast enough to get to the second queen. It seems that although only 13 spawn, I cannot kill them fast enough to have 8 moves left before the next spawn to get to the queen. Is this room possible?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 11-23-2003 at 10:42 AM GMT]

1N 3W is very possible :) Iv'e encountered your same problem when I was playtesting, I did it again and this is what I did exactly:

I think that's the only way to do it, however if anybody has a different way then tell us
11-23-2003 at 04:55 PM
zex20913
I did find the secret room right after I posted, but the internet in the dorm went out. :(

Also, unfortunately for everyone playing this hold, I have found some problems.

(By the way, ag...that room is possible, even with killing the "second queen" second. That's how I did it the first time. I encountered no trouble.)

Stuwy-That 4N in the keep has no return, as ag already told you. I have made it to the "Inside the castle".

3N 1W is not possible to complete. To get all of the trapdoors down, you would need to start the room from where the tar is. Right now, you have a "Seven Bridges of Konisburg" problem going, and it is not good. Because this forces the hold to not be completed.

1E has an unintentional solution, one that requires only two mimics.

4N 2E needs a checkpoint, somewhere. It is fairly easy, but possible and fairly easy to screw up on as well.

I thought there was something else, but I figured it out.

I have found 33 rooms, and I think that is all, but that 7 bridges thing is screwing all of us over.

[Edited by zex20913 on 11-23-2003 at 08:42 PM GMT: Erroneous (sp) suggestion.]

11-23-2003 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
zex20913 wrote:
Also, unfortunately for everyone playing this hold, I have found some problems.

Oh dear :(

(By the way, ag...that room is possible, even with killing the "second queen" second. That's how I did it the first time. I encountered no trouble.)
Really? When I did it it spawned one move before I reached the vital square. I'll have another look. Thanks!

3N 1W is not possible to complete. To get all of the trapdoors down, you would need to start the room from where the tar is. Right now, you have a "Seven Bridges of Konisburg" problem going, and it is not good. Because this forces the hold to not be completed.
3N 1W of what? Which level? the reason why I ask is because if it is on the keep level, then I'll stop playing until the problem is fixed.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 11-23-2003 at 08:51 PM GMT]

11-23-2003 at 08:50 PM
zex20913
The problem is with "Inside the Castle", which is after the keep.

Edit: Actually, looking at the first post, this room MAY have been fixed. I believe I have the old version. But I don't want to play through everything again quite yet.

[Edited by zex20913 on 11-23-2003 at 09:09 PM GMT: first post...]

11-23-2003 at 09:08 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
In 3N1E of cavern base, the red door doesn't actually block anything. I have the latest version.

11-24-2003 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Sorry everybody for the bugs, I know it will annoy everybody how in each next verision you will have to do the hold all over again, but I'll do a level warp room on cavern base for the next verion.

sorry zex, I encountered that 7 bridge problem before and I fixed it along with the lvl. 1 problem also

there is one level warp in "Inside The Castle" that I made intensional to avoid having the blue door opening when all visable rooms are conquered. However that warp may not be the quickest way to beat the hold...... only one way to find out..
11-25-2003 at 12:11 AM
Stuwy
there we go, sorry I'm bumping this thread but the new verison is out and heres whats new:

-fixed 3n so it doesn't take forever
-upped some of the challenge in some rooms
-fixed the red door cheat in cavern base
-

anyways thats pretty much it, there shouldn't be any other bugs.. other than that, enjoy!
11-27-2003 at 04:03 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Inside the castle - floor 4 1n 2e can't be completed
11-27-2003 at 12:16 PM
Stuwy
bandit1200 wrote:
Inside the castle - floor 4 1n 2e can't be completed

what version of the hold you using?

I also just completed floor 4 right now with the newest version

[Edited by Stuwy on 11-27-2003 at 09:46 PM GMT]
11-27-2003 at 09:06 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I'm using the latest version and just downloaded it again to make sure.

In room 1n 2e there are two seperate paths through the room. The top one has 1 roach and the lower path has 3 roaches. It's not possible to kill all 4 roaches.

I also noticed at least one place, maybe two, where it's possible to get stuck between rooms, needing a restore, though it's possible you planned it that way. Also one room where you enter stood on a gate and when where it's possible to enter stood on a wall.

I should add that none of the above make the hold any less enjoyable. (Except for Inside The Castle - Quince North, which I thought was a bit of a pointless (finger) exercise.)
11-28-2003 at 06:09 AM
Stuwy
there should be mimic potions on each of 2 paths, it should be possible...
11-28-2003 at 10:17 PM
Scott
Is 1 east on Inside the castle completable? I can't see how because theres no way to drop the trapdoors in the bottom right section.

Also can someone give me a hint on the dungeon 7n1e?

Edit more exploring and I got to the castle lvl 4. I have completed every room I can get to but still no exit level. Is there a 3n3e there? If so how do you get to it because I can see no way.

The rooftop 1W

1S1E has a red door thats impossible to open.
1S1W will spawn an unreachable baby in the first round of spawns.

[Edited by Scott on 11-29-2003 at 03:50 AM GMT]
11-28-2003 at 11:39 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Katon's Keep
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No