Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Mini Adventure! (???????)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.1/10 (31 votes)
σ 2.02
Author Name:Melvin
Submitted By:melvin
Hold Name:A Mini Adventure!
Theme:???????
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:12
Number of Monsters:399
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+0 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: A Mini Adventure.hold (63.9 KB)
Downloaded 1341 times.
License: Other
icon A Mini Adventure!  
Just play it! i hope you enjoy it!
08-10-2007 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: A Mini Adventure! (-1)  
This is not good. Here some things that are bad:

Level 1: The secret walls were POINTLESS. Why carve through all that when the secret room could be at 1S 3W

Level 2: This is a more of a case of 'gusses where to go' than a DROD puzzle.

Level ?:
Click here to view the secret text

Pre Master: The first room was not needed. The second one was okay. The third one was another useless room. And the forth wasn't very 'DRODy' either.

This wasn't very overall. You only need half a brain to solve this.

08-11-2007 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: A Mini Adventure! (0)  
I found hyperme's comments a little too negative in tone. But I do agree with some of the content.

By and large, the rooms on the first level were solid; they were nothing terribly challenging, but mildly interesting as rooms go. (The third room was perhaps overdesigned.)

But the rooms on the second level seemed designed to annoy the player, rather than involve them--the first room, for instance, with its guess-the-exit theme.

As a first hold, it's fairly standard--we've seen far worse--but I think it would have done better on the architecture board as a learning project.
08-11-2007 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Ok hold but felt rather short. Level 1 secret won't upload though after 3 demos.
08-11-2007 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
At first I want to point out the positive aspects of this hold: It's 100%ly completeable, it offers a lot (secret rooms, pre master area) and there are no tedious/unfair rooms. The brevity of this hold is also a good point. Something short for a 15 minutes break.

Now to the negative aspects: The puzzlerooms in this hold are mixed with pointless rooms at a ratio of about 50:50. What the flip is the level "??????" for? And what was the intention of the level 2 entrance room apart from Trail and Error? Moreover the puzzles in the hold tend to be very simple (e.g. kill a single green snake in a office).

As for the rating: Because of the things mentioned above and because of the fact that this is your first attempt on hold building I'll give you a 3 (3,25). Oh, and 2 brains for difficulty.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 08-13-2007 10:56 AM]
08-12-2007 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
What I really hated was the fact that the third room in level 1 really slowed down my game.

08-12-2007 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
First couple of rooms were ok, but then the hold just fell apart and it was sort of pointless... I gave it a 2 and a 2...
08-12-2007 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
melvin
Rank Points: 34
I know it's a terrible hold. :thumbsdown
I was working on a 'good' hold, planned to have 10 levels in part 1, but with the level 7 my PC crashed and all my DROD data was lost. :(
Also one of my beta holds is deleted as well, 2 holds missing.
Both were pretty good. :~(
If my PC didn't crash, my other hold already had about 25 levels. :-O

Sorry for this.
But I don't have many time for DROD-ing anymore, I'll build a better hold soon. ;)

[Last edited by melvin at 06-12-2009 05:45 PM]
06-06-2009 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: A Mini Adventure! (+3)  
It's not a "terrible" hold. There are a lot worse. There were a few rooms I enjoyed. The "arrow" room mystified me at first and I was happy with myself when I finally found the secret (it seemed well-hidden).

However, I agree with some other posts. Too much secret wall isn't a good thing. I liked MeckMeck's comment: it is completable and offers secrets which is nice for a "first hold". So good job at figuring out a bunch of stuff and I hope you continue soon!

05-24-2011 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Odyssey
Rank Points: 124
icon Re: A Mini Adventure! (+2)  
Just completed this hold. I agree with the above -- it isn't a terrible hold, nor do I agree with the 'half-brain' assessment, as the entrance room/killing the adder would probably be worth at least 1.5-2 brains. I liked the architectural design of the staircase room on the first level.

The 'secret wall guessing game' wasn't too bad, it was a little tedious but not terribly so. That being said, I do think the 'LOL' room was over the top (it indicates that not much thought went into the room).

The mastery rooms were strange and included a script not written in English (German, I think). My previous comment also applies to the 'LOL' room here. I did have to restart the room from not cutting the mud correctly the first time, so that alone doesn't make it extremely trivial. I do think it needed some (more) time in the architectural oven, though.

I give it 2 brains, 4 for fun.

07-18-2013 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
Rank Points: 214
Odyssey wrote:

The mastery rooms were strange and included a script not written in English (German, I think).

Dutch

I am German.

adS

07-18-2013 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Odyssey
Rank Points: 124
Sorry, thanks for correcting me.

07-18-2013 at 07:19 PM
adS
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: A Mini Adventure! (+1)  
The scroll says:

"Het was mogelijk om de deuren te openen, 100 beurten wachten"

German and Dutch (or is it Flemish?) are very similar languages.

I understand the first part of the sentence and have looked up the second part in a dictionary.

I believe it says something like

"To open the doors you could wait for 100 turns"

However, if you do wait for 100 turns nothing happens.

I have no idea....

adS

07-18-2013 at 10:46 PM
melvin
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: A Mini Adventure! (+1)  
Why are people still playing this?
This hold is probably (one of) the biggest pieces of trash out there!

You could consider this hold me messing around in the editor, releasing it means I was quite stupid at the time.

You should really go and play the one is my signature, it should make up for the time you wasted on this one.

- Melvin

@adS If you go in the trapdoor trap where you can hit the orb'll say "hahahaha", if you wait 100 turns while stuck there all doors will open. But again that's not proper level design, that's me messing around with scripts.

07-19-2013 at 11:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Mini Adventure! (???????) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com