Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (actually, it turned out to be a curious behavior of on/off pressure plates)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged

File: Jatopians Inferno.hold (38.9 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (0)  
I have here a hold, which has a demo embedded. The hold entrance has stairs near it; go down them to get to the room in which the bug is demonstrated. Or you could just watch the demo.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 07-06-2007 02:25 AM : description]
06-06-2007 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (+2)  
Hey mrimer, I think I've figured out what causes this behavior. Apparently, while stepping onto a pressure plate is processed at the beginning of the turn (before briar growth), stepping off an on/off pressure plate is not processed until the end of the turn. So the briar appears to grow while unconnected because it grows out and then is cut off when the door goes back up. So the bug(?) lies in pressure plate processing & not briars.

To show it, here's a little setup to illustrate the behavior:
..._..
.._...
.P.WWW
...D=-
...WWW

Where P is the player, D is a closed yellow door, and the underscores are two on/off pressure plates both set to toggle D, and the blue is a west-facing rattler. Now, if the player moves onto the southwest plate, then moves in one turn onto the northeast pressure plate, this should (as is intuitive to me) toggle the door twice in the same turn and thus not let the rattler out. However, because the on event is processed, then the rattler movement, then the off event, the rattler escapes.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-20-2007 06:24 PM]
06-19-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (0)  
Aaah! Run away! A gold dragon guarding a river!

Maybe I should cut back on the roguelikes.
06-19-2007 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (+1)  
No, that's intentional. The idea is that if something leaves a pressure plate and something else steps on during the same turn, the plate never fires. Besides, I'm pretty sure the briars in that room were messed up even during turns when doors aren't moving.
06-21-2007 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (+1)  
No, what Jatopian said is exactly why the briars were acting the way they did.

This leads to some pretty... well... interesting effects. You can code a loop for a 2-tile Serpent to traverse that has On-Off Pressure Plates every two tiles, all controlling the same door.

If the door starts closed, then *EVERYTHING* that moves after the Serpent will pass through the door as if it's open, and only have the door closed on them at the end of the turn. Beethro, however, will find it impassable.

If the door starts open, then everything that moves after the Serpent will find it closed every other turn and Beethro will never find it impassable.

The basic behavior is intentional, yes (so that on-off plates don't trigger off until we're sure nothing else has moved on them), but the way it works with multiple pressure plates is a little unintuitive. Those briar roots were working fine.

06-21-2007 at 03:07 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: Frozen Roach.hold (994 bytes)
Downloaded 47 times.
icon Re: possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (+2)  
TFMurphy wrote:
This leads to some pretty... well... interesting effects. You can code a loop for a 2-tile Serpent to traverse that has On-Off Pressure Plates every two tiles, all controlling the same door.
Not one serpent, since it'll have to spend half its turns holding down a single door. But the attached hold shows what I think TF had in mind, and it is pretty seriously weird. Not a bug, but not at all the kind of thing I'd expect to happen.
06-21-2007 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
icon Re: possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (0)  
True: with one serpent, it'd be every other turn that the condition applied, which I caught for the second example (door open to later monsters, door closed to Beethro) but not for the first. With two serpents, the trick is complete: if the door starts open, you have something that's impassable to later monsters but open for earlier ones (and Beethro). And if it starts closed, you have something that is impassable to earlier monsters (and Beethro) but open for later ones.

Anyways, as interesting a mechanic as it is, we're not really supposed to do puzzles that rely on monster movement order, and other than delaying *all* pressure plates to be resolved at the end of the turn, I can't think of an easy way to resolve this. And I don't really want to figure out how much that change would break existing uses (or whether it's a good idea in the first place).

But it's still fun to play with.
06-21-2007 at 04:48 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
TFMurphy wrote:
... we're not really supposed to do puzzles that rely on monster movement order...
We're not? Uhoh.

Actually, I think puzzles that rely on monster movement order, when that fact is made clear, is fine. Witness the variety of LarryMurk holds with scrolls that note "roach moves before serpents" or "goblin moves last" or the like. Admittedly, I recall being particularly annoyed at an impossible-seeming narrow corridor with rock golems, until I learned that even though it looked symmetric, movement order made it such that it could be solved if you were doing exactly what I was doing, only along the right-hand wall instead of the left-hand wall. (At least now, movement order is no longer hidden from the player.)
06-21-2007 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
TFMurphy wrote:
Anyways, as interesting a mechanic as it is, we're not really supposed to do puzzles that rely on monster movement order, and other than delaying *all* pressure plates to be resolved at the end of the turn, I can't think of an easy way to resolve this. And I don't really want to figure out how much that change would break existing uses (or whether it's a good idea in the first place).

There are a lot of puzzles that depend on monster movement order, and the number is growing. More to the point, this was more of an issue before 3.0, since you can now determine movement order just by right-clicking on the monsters.

Josh

06-21-2007 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Well, true, there *are* some nice tricks based on a movement order that can be done and can still be puzzle-oriented. On the other hand though, I'm not sure this trick with pressure plates is as fair.

Though I have no doubt that if left this way, we'll see some interesting uses of it regardless. Though you could say that about any unintended result, no matter how fair or not it is.

EDIT: After thinking about it, we can probably explain it away as being slow-release pressure plates: it takes more time for them to pop up than it does for something to slam it down. Feels more logical when you think of it that way, but it'll still lead to surprises, like any movement order does. Not that that's a bad thing.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-21-2007 06:48 PM]
06-21-2007 at 04:59 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Thanks for the analysis and discussion from everyone. So, if I understand correctly, the consensus is that this behavior is an artifact of the game logic, and not a bug. Based on what I read here, I agree.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-21-2007 07:16 PM]
06-21-2007 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Skylancer64
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62

File: Safety Zones.hold (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Interestingly enough, this behavior in effect implements one of the feature requests that was brought up a while ago. Using this trick, we can now create Beethro-only areas, and Beethro-excluded areas. Not only that, but critter access to these areas can be implemented conditionally as mentioned earlier by tweaking the movement order. With careful movement ordering in the editor, this trick allows anything from goblin-only areas to non-serpent areas, With the small annoyance of continually flashing orb lightning, of course. And the minor problem of newly spawned critters always being placed last in the movement list.

Even so, as long as players are made aware that these doors are working this way, this could actually become a useful puzzle element in itself.

Demonstration attached.

06-23-2007 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Quite so, Skylancer64. Although a crude version of this was possible in JtRH using a mimic & character, and indeed was well-explored by one Niccus (now inactive) this does refine the capability immensely. Hopefully we shan't see the massive abuse potentials materialize since the means are so obscure.

06-23-2007 at 06:34 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : possible bug with briars growing while not connected to briar root. (actually, it turned out to be a curious behavior of on/off pressure plates)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com