Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Stonemasons
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Stonemasons (+1)  
In another thread, Mr. Imer mentioned an idea to give the aumtlich beam a golem revivification power. While this idea was maybe not so great in that particular context, the idea of making golems revivable seems like a good idea, if handled carefully.

So I propose a new job for Imperial citizens, 'Stonemason'. Stonemasons would wander around with a hammer, using it to repair damaged golems.

I see two good ways they could be designed. They could be designed to use brained movement to nearest golem. In this case, it would be best if they were killable, since you could never really stop them from doing this otherwise. The hammer could function like a sword or hook, which must touch the golem to revive it. The hammer would also work as a weapon, but masons would not actively pursue Beethro. They would use similar rules to the slayer to turn it when Beethro came near, and strike if Beethro stepped next to it, however.

The second version I thought of would follow relays and then deviate only up to x squares from the path to repair a golem. If they moved in this way, it would be best if they were unkillable, and the challenge would be to kill golems outside of their repair range, or block them from reaching the golems somehow. This version's hammer would NOT be like a sword or hook, but simply part of their image. Preferably, they would run off the same relays as regular citizens and builders, this way you could design rooms where, for instance, you needed to get them caught in a citizen traffic jam to stop them from reviving golems before you could leave the room. They also would work as good support for a builder team in a room full of rock golems, to keep Beethro from blocking them from their goal.

KDD Spoiler.
Click here to view the secret text

05-25-2007 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: Stonemasons (+1)  
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7759&page=0#77421
Search is your friend.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
05-25-2007 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
icon Re: Stonemasons (0)  
zonhin wrote:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7759&page=0#77421
Search is your friend.

Well, ok, so something like this has been mentioned before, pre-TCB. And no, I didn't do a search for it. But yeah, golem revivification had obviously been mentioned before, and even considered by the team. See the post that inspired this. Its not like I thought the idea itself was new, I was just suggesting two possible ways it could be done, and neither is really the same as the dwarf (one is always brained and has a weapon but ignores Beethro when it is safe to do so, and the other acts like a citizen). So I don't think its unjustified to post them, in a new thread.

05-25-2007 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
I see your point.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
05-25-2007 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I like this idea. Personally, they both sound like good ideas. However, the first idea is more DROD-like (DROD is based on enemies, so a killable stonemason makes sense; Citezens are an anomaly). I can see the puzzle potential . . .
Is he smart enough to avoid bombs with his hammer? I'm hoping for an enemy that, unlike a Guard or slayer, doesn't understand pyrotechnics.

My the way, mrimer stands for Mike Rimer (not Mr. Imer). He and Erik Hermannsen seem to be the main producers of DROD.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 05-26-2007 01:49 AM : Ask bomb question]
05-26-2007 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Stonemasons (+1)  
We call him Mr. Imer sometimes as a joke. :|
05-26-2007 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
We call him Mr. Imer sometimes as a joke.
Oh.

Well, you win some, you lose some . . .

Erm, how did you read my post and reply in one minute?!

Meh.

05-26-2007 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Ezlo's magical.

Keep posting,

05-26-2007 at 02:04 AM
Beef Row
Kwakstur wrote:
I like this idea. Personally, they both sound like good ideas. However, the first idea is more DROD-like (DROD is based on enemies, so a killable stonemason makes sense; Citezens are an anomaly). I can see the puzzle potential . . .

Sure, citizens are an anomaly, gameplay wise. But given the importance of a job in the Empire, wouldn't it be interesting to see some more of the jobs enter gameplay as non-monster elements? Its like, theoretically, there are all these jobs, but really the only ones that seem to have direct gameplay function are slayer, guard, and builder. Some others of course have an effect even a huge one, but those are the only ones you see in action.

But yeah, I'm not more for either one of these than the other. I really think they'd both bring alot to the game. I guess given that many people seem to hate citizen movement, the first one will probably more popular though ;-)

05-26-2007 at 07:07 AM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Kwakstur wrote:
Erm, how did you read my post and reply in one minute?!
Two words: Speed Potion. :lol

05-26-2007 at 09:06 AM
Neathro
Rank Points: 41
:lol

[Last edited by Neathro at 05-26-2007 11:02 AM]
05-26-2007 at 11:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Stonemasons
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com